So, I was tutoring my Vietnamese student last night...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 11:27 AM
RE: So, I was tutoring my Vietnamese student last night...
(16-07-2012 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes, I sit corrected. But you're assuming Cuff is male. Also, I've been making it my mission for the past 25 years to get the grammar gods to accept "their" as the proper replacement for his/her type statements.
BLASPHEMER! HERETIC! Hobo

Anyone who is careful about his or her writing will make sure he or she follows the accepted rules so that others will not criticize him or her. Tongue

I'm with you on this one, Erx. The full acceptance of "singular they" would solve a lot of current problems in English, given that sexist language is a concern.

This guy seems to have devoted a good part of his life to the cause. The Wikipedia article on "singular they" is very complete but possibly a textbook example of TMI.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
17-07-2012, 11:51 AM
(17-07-2012 11:27 AM)cufflink Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  BLASPHEMER! HERETIC! Hobo

Anyone who is careful about his or her writing will make sure he or she follows the accepted rules so that others will not criticize him or her. Tongue

I'm with you on this one, Erx. The full acceptance of "singular they" would solve a lot of current problems in English, given that sexist language is a concern.

This guy seems to have devoted a good part of his life to the cause. The Wikipedia article on "singular they" is very complete but possibly a textbook example of TMI.
Ok, so when I said I had been working on this project for the past 25 years, I may have been exaggerating a bit. I can't hold a candle to this guy's work! Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-07-2012, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2012 01:04 PM by kim.)
I've heard a few British folk (my beloved Morrissey, for one) use a long ā in the pronunciation of says - I see nothing incorrect about it. A lot of pronunciation of particular vowel sounds in words have to do with other words surrounding the word itself. Take the word the; if placed in front of a word beginning with a vowel, then it will usually be pronounced with the long ē such as; the envelope. Try to say it with the ə sound - it's not incorrect pronunciation, but flows oddly or haltingly.

Language is ever changing, continually growing, often subject to cultural influence, but also subject to rules in and of itself. It's kind of surprising we can communicate as well as we do even within the same language, let alone among the many differing known languages. There are times when I think humans should just be left to smile, nod, and point... and leave it at that.

I wonder... if we were not as capable with our refined language... would we still think we are at the top of the food chain and the "superior" animal of the planet? Shy

One of the last books put out by Dr Seuss wrote was called, The Tough Coughs as He Ploughs the Dough... an anthology of his early writings addressing interesting ideas of language.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-07-2012, 09:25 AM
(17-07-2012 11:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 11:27 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Anyone who is careful about his or her writing will make sure he or she follows the accepted rules so that others will not criticize him or her. Tongue

Ok, so when I said I had been working on this project for the past 25 years, I may have been exaggerating a bit. I can't hold a candle to this guy's work! Blush
We have the word "its", genderless, correctly singular.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 11:48 AM
(18-07-2012 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2012 11:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, so when I said I had been working on this project for the past 25 years, I may have been exaggerating a bit. I can't hold a candle to this guy's work! Blush
We have the word "its", genderless, correctly singular.
But "its" feels dehumanizing, so people don't really like to use it.

You or I would probably not like to be referred to as an "it", correct or not.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
18-07-2012, 12:01 PM
(18-07-2012 11:48 AM)kineo Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  We have the word "its", genderless, correctly singular.
But "its" feels dehumanizing, so people don't really like to use it.

But I'm more singular than plural. When we are referring to a person, the number is known, the gender may not be. "Their" is always wrong.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Every time I look at the title of this thread, I read, "So, I was torturing my Vietnamese student last night...."

Then I read the whole thread. Now I feel tortured.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-07-2012, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2012 12:22 PM by kingschosen.)
You know what else is dumb?

Possessive rules change when a pronoun is involved.

ex:
That is hers.
That is Jenn's.

That is his.
That is Tom's.

The dog ate its bone.
The cougar ate the dog's bone.

The clearest stupid grammar nonsense is "its". If it's a possessive, why would it not have an apostrophe? After all, an apostrophe does two things: it deletes and shows possession.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
18-07-2012, 12:11 PM
(18-07-2012 12:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 11:48 AM)kineo Wrote:  But "its" feels dehumanizing, so people don't really like to use it.

But I'm more singular than plural. When we are referring to a person, the number is known, the gender may not be. "Their" is always wrong.
I'm more personal than impersonal so I would rather be called a They than an It.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-07-2012, 12:15 PM
(18-07-2012 12:09 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Every time I look at the title of this thread, I read, "So, I was torturing my Vietnamese student last night...."

Then I read the whole thread. Now I feel tortured.

What does that say about you and the two people that have liked you comment so far? Nothing good I'm sure Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post