So I went to a church today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 11:42 PM
So I went to a church today
For a funeral, not a full on service as such. How the hell do people stand it? The family getting up and sharing their stories of the deceased was lovely and very touching, but the religious part of it was as boring and pointless as I remember from school. And it was exactly the same. No shit. I could pretty much word for word predict what the Pastor was going to say next. "Now a reading from Matthew bla blah blah." Oh this one. Again.

Hymns that either sound like dirges or riddled with twee sentiments. Have you read 'All things Bright and Beautiful"? It reads like a 3 year old kid wrote it. Week in an week out people get up and trundle off to this mind numbing experience. What is the point?

The pastor seemed like a nice enough bloke but his key talent was directing people to the hall to get a cup of tea and some sandwiches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pippen's post
09-02-2014, 11:54 PM
RE: So I went to a church today
I've been through that same experience. Religious funerals are the absolute worst, *especially* if it's someone you love. When my beloved grandfather died, it felt like his church was taking advantage of his death as an opportunity to proselytize, it was so over the top. I wanted to walk out. Instead of finding the kind of closure you hope from a funeral, I left kind of pissed off that they would take advantage of his death as an advertising opportunity.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
10-02-2014, 12:12 AM
I was raised Catholic, and was required to go to church every Sunday, (even though I had started expressing doubt and unwillingness to go to church from an early age), until I was 16. I then, thankfully got a part-time job that required me to work on Saturday and Sunday, this was an acceptable excuse not to go to church for my mom. From the day I got that job until almost a decade later I had never stepped foot inside a church (except the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, as a tourist). I then, in consecutive months had to go back to a church for services, once for the funeral of a family friend, and then again as part of the wedding party in a good friend's wedding. Hearing those same songs and seeing the process play out again really made me glad I shunned going to being with.
10-02-2014, 12:29 AM
It's worse when you have Sunday School afterward.

Or, try sitting through a stations of the cross sometime.

You'd think the teachings and stories of an all powerful God wouldn't be so boring.
10-02-2014, 12:35 AM
(09-02-2014 11:54 PM)toadaly Wrote:  I've been through that same experience. Religious funerals are the absolute worst, *especially* if it's someone you love. When my beloved grandfather died, it felt like his church was taking advantage of his death as an opportunity to proselytize, it was so over the top. I wanted to walk out. Instead of finding the kind of closure you hope from a funeral, I left kind of pissed off that they would take advantage of his death as an advertising opportunity.

I live in the bible belt of the United States, and this is *exactly* what has happened to 2 people I know.

Sorry......knew. Sad

I tried to calm myself down by remembering that the majority of their family was Christian...but it really was just shady and a huge middle finger to *their* memory. One of them was the Wiccan and the other was hard-core atheist, and their funerals were sprinkled with plenty of Jesus. It's just not right.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
10-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Funerals are for the living, not the dead.

Although my mother specifically requested no funeral, no service, no memorial, I had a friend of hers *beg* me for something so she could say her goodbyes in her own way.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
10-02-2014, 01:32 PM
(10-02-2014 12:35 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 11:54 PM)toadaly Wrote:  I've been through that same experience. Religious funerals are the absolute worst, *especially* if it's someone you love. When my beloved grandfather died, it felt like his church was taking advantage of his death as an opportunity to proselytize, it was so over the top. I wanted to walk out. Instead of finding the kind of closure you hope from a funeral, I left kind of pissed off that they would take advantage of his death as an advertising opportunity.

I live in the bible belt of the United States, and this is *exactly* what has happened to 2 people I know.

Sorry......knew. Sad

I tried to calm myself down by remembering that the majority of their family was Christian...but it really was just shady and a huge middle finger to *their* memory. One of them was the Wiccan and the other was hard-core atheist, and their funerals were sprinkled with plenty of Jesus. It's just not right.

My Dad went to one which he said was the worst funeral ever. All hard core religious carry on because the son wanted it that way even though his father was pretty much an atheist for all intents. It was pretty sad as he was a war hero and an all around amazing guy and it would have been the last thing he wanted.

If anyone makes the poor bastards at my funeral sing "All things Bright and Beautiful" I'll resurrect myself and slap them silly.
[+] 1 user Likes Pippen's post
10-02-2014, 01:50 PM
(10-02-2014 01:32 PM)Pippen Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 12:35 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I live in the bible belt of the United States, and this is *exactly* what has happened to 2 people I know.

Sorry......knew. Sad

My Dad went to one which he said was the worst funeral ever. All hard core religious carry on because the son wanted it that way even though his father was pretty much an atheist for all intents. It was pretty sad as he was a war hero and an all around amazing guy and it would have been the last thing he wanted.

If anyone makes the poor bastards at my funeral sing "All things Bright and Beautiful" I'll resurrect myself and slap them silly.

If you do that we will have to assume you are the risen savior, so I will tell a friend about you who will wait 30 years to tell another friend who might get around to tell 2 other people a decade or so after that who will write a book about you that will live on for 2,000 years. Ahh Pippenanity is born.
10-02-2014, 02:12 PM
The last reason I was in a church was for a wedding. It was a catholic church, so it basically just turned into one long mass.

I remember sitting there, listening to all this stuff about "Jesus did this and Jesus did that, and when so and so was tempted blah blah, (lighting a few magic candles), then "God's" grace restored blah blah, (lighting some magic incense) Job was ever the humble servant blah blah..." now stand up, stretch your arms out as we do an incantation of some sort, blow out some of the magic candles, then sit back down, and get back up again, and sit back down, and "Jacob wrestled with ‘God’ blah blah blah..."

And mean while, I'm sitting there thinking, what the fuck does any of this have to do with my friends getting married, other that the fact that they were at least standing up there?

10-02-2014, 02:19 PM
(10-02-2014 12:29 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It's worse when you have Sunday School afterward.

Or, try sitting through a stations of the cross sometime.

You'd think the teachings and stories of an all powerful God wouldn't be so boring.

What is a 'stations of the cross'?

Do they really make you sit through church and then do Sunday School? That is a bit bloody much.