So I went to a church today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: So I went to a church today
(10-02-2014 05:47 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 02:19 PM)Pippen Wrote:  What is a 'stations of the cross'?

Stations of the Cross: a meditation on the passion and death of Jesus. Most Catholic churches will have the 14 stations (events) depicted along one of the walls. A priest will stop briefly at each station, say some prayers, the people respond, maybe there's a little singing, and then on to the next station. The whole thing takes about half an hour, and is really no more boring to sit through than a Mass, and usually shorter than a Mass. They typically do this only during Lent (which starts 40 days before Easter (not counting Sundays) and ends on Easter). The funny thing is that some of the stations depict events (e.g., "Veronica wipes the face of Jesus") that are not found in any of the Gospels.

If you want more detail, just google "stations of the cross".

I had a quick google but it didn't really make a lot of sense. Maybe you have to endure one to get the full effect. I have only been to 3 Catholic things in my life and there seemed to be an awful lot of faffing about and at one a woman standing next to me tried to launch herself at me and I was 'Hey! What are you doing?' I thought she was going to try and hug me. I'm not big on strangers touching me. It never ends well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
RE: So I went to a church today
Catholic masses are awful...just be glad, if you have to go, that you aren't droned to sleep by Latin in a singsong voice.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply