So I went to church today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2015, 01:42 PM
RE: So I went to church today...
(16-08-2015 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 11:52 AM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  But you don't understand, its a privilege to be able to tithe! You're totally going to be rewarded for it later when you get to heaven, sort of like a divine 401k plan!

[Image: bill_1.jpg]

That photo of Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker reminds me of one of the funniest things I saw .....years ago, in the Sunday newspaper comic strip, Bloom County.

[Image: post-42-1185108042.jpg]

I just fell over laughing at that. I donno, it's just funny. Laugh out load

You might have to enlarge it to read it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-08-2015, 07:08 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I am recently deconverted but still in the closet in order to keep my family together. We just moved to the buckle of the bible belt from California and our neighbor across the street invited us to church. Our daughter is friends with hers so my wife naturally accepted. The pastor is one of those disgustingly over-perky young fellows that you just want to punch in the pie hole. He must of brought up the issue of tithing at least three times and it wasn't even the sermon topic. I literally fell asleep during his message and started snoring, my neighbor had to nudge me to wake up. Lol

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
16-08-2015, 08:17 PM
"Anyways, at some point during the sermon, they played a testimonial video of one of the church members about he she learned how to give up control of her life to God."

This about sums it up perfectly.

Very interesting thread. Because I have never been religious I often find these threads fascinating. I appreciate all the answers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-08-2015, 08:24 PM
ironic thing is that they're probably "pro-life" as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
16-08-2015, 08:29 PM
(16-08-2015 08:24 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  ironic thing is that they're probably "pro-life" as well.

Until the kid is born. Then the poor sod is on his own and better get insurance. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-08-2015, 08:44 PM
The miscarriage story sounds like a friend of my wife's. Her and her husband actually carried their son to term but he died shortly after birth. It really, really screwed her up. I think it sort of makes my wife uncomfortable when, in casual conversation with a new person, she will say that she has 2 kids and that one is with god (considering most people wait to get to know someone before laying that on them). The positive side of this is that they started a nonprofit that pays for funerals for children who die and the parents can't/won't pay for it which minus the proselytizing part, is a quite honorable thing to do (some fetuses are from DNC's and whatnot). The part that bothers me is that from what my wife says, they think that god wanted them to make a foundation as a ministry. Fair enough, but did he really have to torment them like this? Other people got dreams, visions, toast, or whatnot but apparently, god loves them so much that killing their child hours after it was born was the best way to inspire them to form a ministry. I guess you can justify anything by faith but what a dick if it is true.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
17-08-2015, 03:06 AM
(16-08-2015 10:35 AM)cactus Wrote:  "I guess I just need to trust in God's plan no matter what. He has direct control over everything, and he's always right."
Ok, cool, got it. God's plan for my life is for me to take a purely empirical approach to my beliefs.
After all, how could God get mad at me for being honest with myself? That's like the best thing I could possibly be, right?
Thanks, God, for making me an atheist, that I may better understand Thy nefarious ways through thoughtful, introspective study of Thy word Cool

Very cleverBowing
17-08-2015, 03:12 AM
(16-08-2015 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 11:52 AM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  But you don't understand, its a privilege to be able to tithe! You're totally going to be rewarded for it later when you get to heaven, sort of like a divine 401k plan!

[Image: bill_1.jpg]

Tammy looks like she's wearing war paint...AND...just had something large shoved up her bottom
17-08-2015, 05:38 AM
(17-08-2015 03:12 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [Image: bill_1.jpg]

Tammy looks like she's wearing war paint...AND...just had something large shoved up her bottom

Jim Baker has that, "I just fucked my secretary" look on his face. Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
17-08-2015, 05:56 AM
(17-08-2015 05:38 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 03:12 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Tammy looks like she's wearing war paint...AND...just had something large shoved up her bottom

Jim Baker has that, "I just fucked my secretary" look on his face. Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Or perhaps, Jesus, my large Dominican cellmate.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac