So I went to church today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: So I went to church today...
(18-08-2015 08:55 AM)mecanna Wrote:  I went to church with a shy relative who was trying to join for social reasons. There was a large youth group in there (at least 200+ people.)

The guy up front was talking about missionaries and glory. And god needs money for missions. Give before you leave.

The creepy part: guy got all riled up and started ranting about needing volunteers (to travel to a dangerous, war-torn country) that were brave enough to go hand out Bibles. A few folks ran to the front and signed a paper (to go, I suppose.) Then, guy started in on the glory of martyrdom. How those killed would be trice-blessed by god, how dying on a mission was the ultimate gift to god and sooo much better than living out your life. People around me were crying and praising Jesus while doling out cash and volunteering to go.

I got up and left.

Out of curiously, was the church band playing playing songs that were clearly meant to spur emotional responses at this time? Also, what was the age range of this particular youth group?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Re: So I went to church today...
Surprisingly, I don't remember any music, but it was a couple of years ago. I'd put the ages mostly between 17 and 25, although a few seemed slightly younger. Except, of course, the screaming guy and others on the stage; I'd put them mid-forties and up.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
18-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Huh, interesting. I am still attending a evangelical college (only decoverted 6 months ago..), and they're all about getting someone on the keyboard/drums whenever a speaker is trying to goad commitments/responses out of the audience. One instance of this that I found laughable at the time when I was still pretty devout was when a pastor made a joke about how speakers liked to have music in the background to make himself sound better... and then proceeded to bring up a keyboardist to make himself sound better.

However, music is definitely not needed to rouse up a crowd. Personally I've never heard a speaker who was that hardcore, talking about sending people over to possibly die. It definitely does up the creep factor in regards to how religions such as Christianity make dying sooner a positive thing. I now wonder what the people that buy into those sermons think that being 'thrice-blessed' even entails. I mean, from my understanding of heaven from 21 years of indoctrination, everyone gets to worship God/Jesus forever, which is supposed to be the ultimate gift. So what exactly does 'laying up treasures in heaven' do exactly? Do I get a comfy couch to sit on when worshiping or something, and the lazy Christian's have to stand? This type of emotional manipulation pisses me off, and obviously becomes worrisome as soon as you have people who are willing to die to do the will of sky-daddy...
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
18-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Re: So I went to church today...
Thrice-blessed... maybe for those martyrs, the gold paved roads are three lane, the diamond towers tree times taller, and the mansions have thrice the number of stories? Oh, and the flying chariots... perhaps they go three times as fast.
Hmm...
18-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I mean, that makes sense to me... I wonder what sort of answer you'd get from a pastor if you asked for him to clarify what thrice-blessed meant. Probably some BS non-answer like "It'll be greater than you can possibly imagine!". Which is somewhat insulting, since I know what happens you get 3x something, who does he think I am, an idiot?
18-08-2015, 01:29 PM
So you all agree that There is evil in the world, but it from God and not Satan? How so?
18-08-2015, 01:37 PM
(18-08-2015 01:29 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So you all agree that There is evil in the world, but it from God and not Satan? How so?

That has nothing to do with this thread. Piss off. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2015, 01:42 PM
(18-08-2015 01:29 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So you all agree that There is evil in the world, but it from God and not Satan? How so?

First off, none of us agree there there is evil in the world that is the result of God, since we do not believe that God exists.

What I'm assuming that you are referring too is the discussion earlier in the thread of Christian's belief that God uses events such as having a woman suffer a miscarriage in order to teach her something/bring about his "perfect plan". However, the short version of our problem with this for the example I gave at the start of this thread is that if God is all-powerful and all-loving, and he wanted the lady to stop exercising so much control over her life, then why not just appear to here in a vision or dream and so "Hey, I'm God, you need to rely on me more, because you are incapable of going through life on your own strength and abilities". This would bring about the same result (the lady giving more control of her life to God), without the needless grief and suffering that was brought about by having a miscarriage. For more details into my argument (re)visit earlier thread posts.
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
18-08-2015, 01:50 PM
(18-08-2015 01:42 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  

First off, none of us agree there there is evil in the world that is the result of God, since we do not believe that God exists.

What I'm assuming that you are referring too is the discussion earlier in the thread of Christian's belief that God uses events such as having a woman suffer a miscarriage in order to teach her something/bring about his "perfect plan". However, the short version of our problem with this for the example I gave at the start of this thread is that if God is all-powerful and all-loving, and he wanted the lady to stop exercising so much control over her life, then why not just appear to here in a vision or dream and so "Hey, I'm God, you need to rely on me more, because you are incapable of going through life on your own strength and abilities". This would bring about the same result (the lady giving more control of her life to God), without the needless grief and suffering that was brought about by having a miscarriage. For more details into my argument (re)visit earlier thread posts.
You got it backwards on a couple of different levels. God does not cause negative things to happen so that you can find him. Negative things happen even to the faithful. It's a fact of life the pertains to do ality balance Satan whatever. Your entire argument is flawed because your views are flawed and thinking that God brings pain he does not. There are two forces at work at all times and within us
18-08-2015, 02:09 PM
(18-08-2015 01:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 01:42 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  First off, none of us agree there there is evil in the world that is the result of God, since we do not believe that God exists.

You got it backwards on a couple of different levels. God does not cause negative things to happen so that you can find him. Negative things happen even to the faithful. It's a fact of life the pertains to do ality balance Satan whatever. Your entire argument is flawed because your views are flawed and thinking that God brings pain he does not. There are two forces at work at all times and within us

You're dodging the thrust of my argument. God is supposed to have a divine plan, that he formed before creation, specifically for each of us. And since God is supposed to have the characteristic of omnipotence, then nothing can change God's plan. Thus, suffering in our lives was planned out before our lives started. This same argument applies for many other things. For example, why did God create Lucifer, knowing that he would rebel, not immediately destroy him, but allow for him to tempt Adam and Eve so that they will sin, and then cause a majority of their offspring to burn in Hell for eternity? How does this describe an all-powerful and all-loving God? Why give the Devil the able to cause suffering in the world today?