So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 09:41 AM
So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
So, all you politicos - maybe you can shed a little more light on something that has gnawed at me for oh ... 25 years, at least.

What's up with everyone hating the Kurds so fucking much that every single year, someone somewhere is trying to wipe Kurdish existence from the face of the earth?

Here's just one of the latest anti-Kurd actions Turkey has been involved in. Among many.

I really want to understand this and I want the complete rundown. Why did Saddam Hussein try to exterminate them? Why have the Turks consistently tried to exterminate them? It appears Kurd killing is generally ignored everywhere it happens - why? Who profits from the nonexistence of the Kurds?

I realize there has to be a starting place so, begin with the March 1988 gassing of Kurds in Iraq. I've done my own digging and found a few ideas which seem plausable... but is this really a complete answer?

So, my question is: Do Kurds suck overall and why does everyone want to blow the shit out of them?

I know this forum has always provided some of the clearest, most straightforward and thoughtful ideas on numerous subjects. You are my go-to guys when I need some big fat brains for big fat brainstorming. Shy

Thanks in advance for everyone's participation. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-03-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
Too small a population, and the autonomous region is totally landlocked = fucked.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
10-03-2017, 10:19 AM
(10-03-2017 10:11 AM)skyking Wrote:  Too small a population, and the autonomous region is totally landlocked = fucked.

Not only that but their already small population is divided among several countries further diluting their political power. Granted with Northern Iraq almost certainly becoming Kurdistan in practice if not in name that has caused some fracturing of the Kurdish movement as the leaders form other areas do not want to be subservient to that group of Kurds.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-03-2017, 11:44 AM
(10-03-2017 10:19 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 10:11 AM)skyking Wrote:  Too small a population, and the autonomous region is totally landlocked = fucked.

Not only that but their already small population is divided among several countries further diluting their political power. Granted with Northern Iraq almost certainly becoming Kurdistan in practice if not in name that has caused some fracturing of the Kurdish movement as the leaders form other areas do not want to be subservient to that group of Kurds.

So, I'm getting ...
Several small, spread out groups of people that no one likes (for some unknown reason) gains a bit of autonomy in a region and everyone else fears/hates them even more. Solution: kill, kill, kill them dead.

Is it just that no one likes to see peasants getting all uppity?
Why were they initally disliked?
Is it some kind of historical disgust?
Is it a religious thing?
Are they just a total pain in the ass to every population they encounter?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-03-2017, 12:05 PM
When you have to fight just to carve out a place to live, you make enemies.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
10-03-2017, 01:09 PM
(10-03-2017 12:05 PM)skyking Wrote:  When you have to fight just to carve out a place to live, you make enemies.

Makes sense.

Have they always been so scattered?
I do realize I'm asking this about a region dominated by bedouins. So, are they essentially the last of the more nomadic tribes that have recently been, or have yet to be, settled? Did they just come along at a shitty time in history to be the lowest guy on the totem pole?

10-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Because Kurds try to go their own way? Shy
[+] 2 users Like Rik's post
10-03-2017, 01:53 PM
(10-03-2017 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 12:05 PM)skyking Wrote:  When you have to fight just to carve out a place to live, you make enemies.
So, are they essentially the last of the more nomadic tribes that have recently been, or have yet to be, settled?

Not by far. One of the most powerful dynasties in the middle ages was kurdish. The Ayyubid dynasty were anything but nomads.
The founder, Sultan Saladin actually was the one who, once and for all, sealed the fate of the crusader states with a crushing defeat at Hattin, took Jerusalem back for Islam and became the most feared and respected muslim leader in the eyes of contemporary christians.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Because the Whey folk started a civil war? Unsure

I'll show myself out. Rolleyes

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
10-03-2017, 02:10 PM
It's gonna get worse in coming years. They're actually gaining military power, influence, recognition, and geographical leverage through the fight with ISIS. Their enemies of recent history aren't going to be okay with that, and the Kurds aren't going to be content with crawling back under a rock now that they're in the spotlight and have some international leverage to work with.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post