So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
With Curds, it's always that whey.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
10-03-2017, 02:24 PM
(10-03-2017 01:53 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  So, are they essentially the last of the more nomadic tribes that have recently been, or have yet to be, settled?

Not by far. One of the most powerful dynasties in the middle ages was kurdish. The Ayyubid dynasty were anything but nomads.
The founder, Sultan Saladin actually was the one who, once and for all, sealed the fate of the crusader states with a crushing defeat at Hattin, took Jerusalem back for Islam and became the most feared and respected muslim leader in the eyes of contemporary christians.

So maybe, Consider this current issue could be historical backlash ...?

So maybe, everyone looks at Kurds and says, "I remember my great grandfather saying that his great grandfather's great, great, great grandfather hated the Kurd's fucking guts so, I'm gonna hate their guts, too.

Or maybe their ruling past just makes them all the more expendable. And/or more desireable to be done away with.
Still, all the shit mentioned seems a bit of a cop out.

Not that I'm looking for any justification to exterminate a group of humans who happen to part their hair differently. I'm a human being and we humans just don't do things like that.

/sarcasm
Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-03-2017, 02:30 PM
It's the Jews and the Kurds - and I bet some Oriental and African groups too. People want scape goats and for some reason some groups are the chosen ones.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Artificial, arbitrary borders. This has a lot to do with what's messed up in the region .
[+] 7 users Like skyking's post
10-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Deese, bring it forward a few centuries and see where the wheels came off. I am on my phone ATM.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
10-03-2017, 02:56 PM
(10-03-2017 02:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's the Jews and the Kurds - and I bet some Oriental and African groups too. People want scape goats and for some reason some groups are the chosen ones.

I thought about the scapegoat aspect. But scapegoating has never made sense to me either. Scapegoating is hollow ...

I want your shit but, I need a reason to take your shit - one that everyone will accept. I don't want to look like a douche for taking your shit, but everyone will understand and support me if I can get them to hate your guts, too. So, scapegoat.

It's more about the guy doing it, than the guy its being done to. The responsibility is empty.

If we're going to be the animals we profess to be, shouldn't there be a logical reason we single out a certain someone to kill? Or uhm .... at least take responsibility for being fucking maniacs, that have no idea why we do the things we do to each other? Shy

It's time for human beings to shit or get off the pot. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-03-2017, 04:51 PM
(10-03-2017 02:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It's gonna get worse in coming years. They're actually gaining military power, influence, recognition, and geographical leverage through the fight with ISIS. Their enemies of recent history aren't going to be okay with that, and the Kurds aren't going to be content with crawling back under a rock now that they're in the spotlight and have some international leverage to work with.
It's not without good reason that many people think the whole area is fuxored in an unrecoverable way.
When we took the supreme asshole that was Saddam off the top, the pot boiled over.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
10-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Ethnic and nationalistic ongoing strife has always bothered me, a genetically driven throwback to the days of living in trees in tribes of 35, but our deadliest enemy in a cosmopolitan world with its high interdependencies crucial to sustaining our high standards of living. Right now some poor bastard infant is being born as a Kurd, or as a Jew, or as an Arab, or as some damn arbitrary "ian" that'll just fuck the holy crap out of his/her life for the shoddiest of reasons, denied the opportunity to grow up as simply a human being, citizen of planet earth. I think that's one of the most obscene crimes on earth, and it happens every few seconds.

I don't think there's much point to trying to untangle the complex calculus of WHY particular ethnicities/nationalities are at each others' throats because there isn't any conceivable set of reasons that could possibly justify it. It's just bad, period; we shouldn't need reasons to stop it, we should just stop it. We get along and we flourish, build cities, get educated, prolong our lives and make those lives more worth living. We squabble and everybody loses, even bystanders. If we could excise whatever portion of our chromosomes drives tribalism it'd be a huge step forward for our future prosperity.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
10-03-2017, 05:17 PM
In 2007 my wife and I took a trip to Greece and Turkey and while sailing from Istanbul to Kusadasi near ancient Ephesus I was just lounging on deck wearing a NY Yankee t-shirt. An older Turkish woman approached, noted the shirt and commented that she had spent many years in New York when her husband was a member of the UN delegation. She was very pleasant and extremely well-educated and spoke English as if she had been born there. Finally she got to the point. She said "May I ask, what is wrong with Mr. Bush? Why can't he see what kind of people the Kurds are?"

We both laughed and I said "I'm not a fan of Mr. Bush and if someone told him that the Kurds were enemies of Saddam Hussein that's probably all he knows about them and ever wants to know about them." She then launched into a rant about what a despicable bunch the Kurds were. Of course, they had been fighting with the Turks for years by then and the impact of the fighting seemed to have been the same as our reaction to al-Qaeda.

It was just so strange because she was so erudite but man, she had no use for the fucking Kurds.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
10-03-2017, 06:06 PM
(10-03-2017 05:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  In 2007 my wife and I took a trip to Greece and Turkey and while sailing from Istanbul to Kusadasi near ancient Ephesus I was just lounging on deck wearing a NY Yankee t-shirt. An older Turkish woman approached, noted the shirt and commented that she had spent many years in New York when her husband was a member of the UN delegation. She was very pleasant and extremely well-educated and spoke English as if she had been born there. Finally she got to the point. She said "May I ask, what is wrong with Mr. Bush? Why can't he see what kind of people the Kurds are?"

We both laughed and I said "I'm not a fan of Mr. Bush and if someone told him that the Kurds were enemies of Saddam Hussein that's probably all he knows about them and ever wants to know about them." She then launched into a rant about what a despicable bunch the Kurds were. Of course, they had been fighting with the Turks for years by then and the impact of the fighting seemed to have been the same as our reaction to al-Qaeda.

It was just so strange because she was so erudite but man, she had no use for the fucking Kurds.

I went there a couple decades before that - and the Greeks were cursing the Turks and vice versa. They had no use for each other.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post