So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
The Greeks still call Istanbul "Constantinople." Some people know how to hold a fucking grudge.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
10-03-2017, 06:46 PM
(10-03-2017 06:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The Greeks still call Istanbul "Constantinople." Some people know how to hold a fucking grudge.

To me it will always be Byzantium
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
10-03-2017, 07:01 PM
(10-03-2017 01:50 PM)Rik Wrote:  Because Kurds try to go their own way? Shy

groan Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-03-2017, 08:01 PM
What do ISIS and Little Miss Muffet have in common?

They both have curds in their whey.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
10-03-2017, 09:25 PM
To me, it's all about Partition. The ME got divided up in ways that maybe some of the French and English leaders at the time understood, but the Kurds got their area divided up in a, shall we say, less than salutary way. Dodgy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/delovan-ba...09430.html
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-03-2017, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 08:36 AM by kim.)
(10-03-2017 07:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 01:50 PM)Rik Wrote:  Because Kurds try to go their own way? Shy

groan Weeping

Holy shit - I only just realized this was supposed to be a joke! Dodgy

Next time Rik, don't be so disingenuous - you shoulda spelled it whey.

If ya gonna dish the heat, ya gotta take the heat. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-03-2017, 12:05 AM
(10-03-2017 09:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  To me, it's all about Partition. The ME got divided up in ways that maybe some of the French and English leaders at the time understood, but the Kurds got their area divided up in a, shall we say, less than salutary way. Dodgy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/delovan-ba...09430.html

Ooh ... this ---> ...the failure in their quest stems from disregarding the underlying issues.

That's what I'm wanting to get to - the underlying issues. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-03-2017, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 04:59 AM by abaris.)
(10-03-2017 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Have they always been so scattered?

They aren't scattered if you look at a map. They're victims of arbitrary colonial borders. Part of them in Turkey, part of them in Iraq and part of them in Syria. All artificial constructs and not grown states.

[Image: s7-2000-kurdengebiete.jpg]

(10-03-2017 06:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The Greeks still call Istanbul "Constantinople." Some people know how to hold a fucking grudge.

Although Istanbul is a Greek name also. It's been turkified, but the "bul" comes from polis.
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
11-03-2017, 09:10 AM
(11-03-2017 04:54 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Have they always been so scattered?
They aren't scattered if you look at a map. They're victims of arbitrary colonial borders. Part of them in Turkey, part of them in Iraq and part of them in Syria. All artificial constructs and not grown states.
[Image: s7-2000-kurdengebiete.jpg]
-

Ah, colonialism. Gee, how could some outsiders’ meddling not be involved in fucking up everyone’s future? Humans are too predictable. Dodgy

Meanwhile, in Syria: Syrian unrest grew out of the 2011 Arab Spring protests, and escalated to armed conflict after President Bashar al-Assad's government violently repressed protests calling for his removal. The war is being fought by several factions: the Syrian government and its allies, a loose alliance of Sunni Arab rebel groups (including the Free Syrian Army), the majority-Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Salafi jihadist groups (including al-Nusra Front) who generally cooperate with the rebels, and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

The entire region including Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria have become a giant battleground. Still, according to the above paragraph from Wikipedia, the Kurds don't appear to be directly, or at least officially, involved in the Syrian conflict per se. Except, Syria is where the Kurds have been fleeing to, when chased out of other countries.

Surely no one thinks that if all the Kurds would suddenly just disappear (raptured?), all the fighting in all those countries would cease?

GODDAMN. Angel HUMANS ARE FUCKING STUPID.

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-03-2017, 10:01 AM
(10-03-2017 04:56 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Ethnic and nationalistic ongoing strife has always bothered me, a genetically driven throwback to the days of living in trees in tribes of 35, but our deadliest enemy in a cosmopolitan world with its high interdependencies crucial to sustaining our high standards of living. Right now some poor bastard infant is being born as a Kurd, or as a Jew, or as an Arab, or as some damn arbitrary "ian" that'll just fuck the holy crap out of his/her life for the shoddiest of reasons, denied the opportunity to grow up as simply a human being, citizen of planet earth. I think that's one of the most obscene crimes on earth, and it happens every few seconds.

I think so, too.

(10-03-2017 04:56 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  I don't think there's much point to trying to untangle the complex calculus of WHY particular ethnicities/nationalities are at each others' throats because there isn't any conceivable set of reasons that could possibly justify it.

Oh, as I said previously, I'm not trying to justify it at all - it can not be justified. I'm trying to pick it apart and see where and possibly how shit got so fucked up from the beginning... if there is a beginning.
It's like untying a knot in a piece of string: some people would just rather cut the knot out of the string but then, what good is the string afterword? I'm looking to salvage and give some strength back, rather than just tossing the string, starting over and producing a new piece of string.

(10-03-2017 04:56 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  It's just bad, period; we shouldn't need reasons to stop it, we should just stop it. We get along and we flourish, build cities, get educated, prolong our lives and make those lives more worth living. We squabble and everybody loses, even bystanders. If we could excise whatever portion of our chromosomes drives tribalism it'd be a huge step forward for our future prosperity.

Thumbsup Now we're talking: Bring it on CRISPR!!!

Of course, there have been countless bloody conflicts just like this for centuries. I think this one, more than many of the previous ones can be more closely scrutinized because populations are more globally connected, via technology.

To me, if people outside this conflict do nothing and "just let it all work itself out" then, nothing really happens. At the same time, if people try to get involved, it seems to pull the conflict out of that region only to spread it elsewhere. It's as if the globe is caught between a rock and a hard place with this seemingly, never-ending conflict.

We've gotten so good at it - we've perfected hatred for ourselves as a species. Who needs a god when we can do this kind of shit to each other?

Of course, each and every one of those involved in this, and nearly every other conflict on the planet, holds their god in front of them. They say their god shields them and inspires them and comforts them. Wow - that's some god!

Tribalism. This is the GOD - the creator and the destroyer.
The very definition of control.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like kim's post