So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 07:17 AM
RE: So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
(24-03-2017 06:37 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 05:32 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Evil_monster

Legendary Airborne and Amphibious Assault Op Just Happened In Syria

Wanna bet how long it takes before the USA drops them again like a hot potato as soon as Erdogan so much as farts in their general direction?

With as much media attention as they've had it'll hopefully be a little more difficult than all the times before.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2017, 07:55 AM
(24-03-2017 07:17 AM)yakherder Wrote:  With as much media attention as they've had it'll hopefully be a little more difficult than all the times before.

You know, they got media attention before. For fighting Saddam for example and getting gassed in return. Which only became an issue after Saddam had outlived his usefulness. Back then he was keeping Iran busy and that was all that ultimately mattered as far as the west was concerned.

I'm pretty sure they will get fucked over again. With the PKK still being considered a terrorist organisation, although they're freedom fighters as far the Kurds are concerned. There's still western support for dubious groups fighting in Syria, but never, never for the PKK.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
24-03-2017, 02:01 PM
(10-03-2017 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 12:05 PM)skyking Wrote:  When you have to fight just to carve out a place to live, you make enemies.

Makes sense.

Have they always been so scattered?
I do realize I'm asking this about a region dominated by bedouins. So, are they essentially the last of the more nomadic tribes that have recently been, or have yet to be, settled? Did they just come along at a shitty time in history to be the lowest guy on the totem pole?

From the little I know, they are not scattered or small at all. They almost 30 million maybe more. Their region is contiguous but is distributed across several countries. Something happened when the region was being split up among the groups, I am assuming after the collapse of the Ottoman empire, and the Kurds found themselves all over but generally on the outside in each country.

They are not an Arab tribe, and they are not Turks either. They are more like Iranians. That means they are seen as outsiders in Syria, Iraq and Turkey, the three countries where most of them are. They don't seem to have as many problems in Iran as they do in these other countries.

I think they deserve their own separate country. There has never been a time as good as now, for them to hive one off the failed states of Iraq and Syria. They certainly have the fight in them but they might need help from a powerful country, maybe Iran, to get over the hump.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
24-03-2017, 02:18 PM
(24-03-2017 02:01 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Something happened when the region was being split up among the groups, I am assuming after the collapse of the Ottoman empire, and the Kurds found themselves all over but generally on the outside in each country.

Yeah, something happened at a colonial office in London where they took up pencils and rulers and distributed the remnants of the Ottoman empire between them. Without giving a shit which ethnicity lived where or who was at odds with the other. Iraq for example is a conglomerat of three former Ottoman provinces, not a grown country.

I don't know how independent the Kurds were during the reign of the Ottomans, but now they're mainly divided between Syria, Turkey and Iraq. Also on the fringes of Iran. All of these countries view them as a nuisance and most fight against them getting their own territories.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
29-03-2017, 04:59 PM
(23-03-2017 05:59 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @Mircea

because of things like this, it doesn't bode well for Kurds in Rojava after ISIS is completly defeated. They will get dumped once again by the US and allies to avoid a potential conflict with Assad Syria, Turkey and Russia. I bet they can start to smell it to. They might hope that Iraq will intercede in their favor so that they can keep a form of regional authonomy.

That's probably what will happen.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
29-03-2017, 05:13 PM
(24-03-2017 02:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  Yeah, something happened at a colonial office in London where they took up pencils and rulers and distributed the remnants of the Ottoman empire between them. Without giving a shit which ethnicity lived where or who was at odds with the other. Iraq for example is a conglomerat of three former Ottoman provinces, not a grown country.

I don't know how independent the Kurds were during the reign of the Ottomans, but now they're mainly divided between Syria, Turkey and Iraq. Also on the fringes of Iran. All of these countries view them as a nuisance and most fight against them getting their own territories.

Pretty good read here:

Could Different Borders Have Saved the Middle East?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016....html?_r=0

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
11-04-2017, 08:22 AM
The more I read about the Kurds, the more I admire their tenacity.

Here is another small write up from the BBC - very informative.

Frankly, the Kurds appear to be the most organized of anyone in the entire Middle East. To me, these would seem to be the guys to go to for some in-house training to fight ISL. They seem to know their shit.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-04-2017, 09:14 AM
(11-04-2017 08:22 AM)kim Wrote:  The more I read about the Kurds, the more I admire their tenacity.

Here is another small write up from the BBC - very informative.

Frankly, the Kurds appear to be the most organized of anyone in the entire Middle East. To me, these would seem to be the guys to go to for some in-house training to fight ISL. They seem to know their shit.

For one reason or another, they're also the most socially advanced group in the middle east. Their women enjoy practically equal rights. Probably because they're forced into a fight that more or less goes on for a century by now. Females as well as males take the frontlines and they're rather left leaning rather than religious although they don't deny being muslims.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
30-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Ok, the Yazidi are an ethnic group of Kurds and ISL is has been trying to kill them - along with everyone else on the planet.

Suddenly, 36 Yazidi that were previously held captive by ISL have turned up in northern Kurdish Iraq. Interesting. They need to get a hold of these former captives and glean all the Intel they can from them.

Who are the Yazidi? Very woo-hoo Kurds...
wikipedia Wrote:The Yazidis are monotheists, believing in God as creator of the world, which he has placed under the care of seven holy beings or angels, the chief of whom is Melek Taus, the Peacock Angel. The Peacock Angel, as world-ruler, causes both good and bad to befall individuals, and this ambivalent character is reflected in myths of his own temporary fall from God's favour, before his remorseful tears extinguished the fires of his hellish prison and he was reconciled with God.

This belief has been linked by some people to Sufi mystical reflections on Iblis, who also refused to prostrate to Adam despite God's express command to do so. Because of this similarity to the Sufi tradition of Iblis, some followers of other monotheistic religions of the region equate the Peacock Angel with their own unredeemed evil spirit Satan, which has incited centuries of persecution of the Yazidis as "devil worshippers". Persecution of Yazidis has continued in their home communities within the borders of modern Iraq, under fundamentalist Sunni Muslim revolutionaries.

Beginning in August 2014, the Yazidis were targeted by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in its campaign to "purify" Iraq and its neighbouring countries of non-Islamist influences.

Of course, ISL hate everyone - even themselves - and they sure as shit hate the devil worshiping Yazidi and their overall Kurdishness.

The thing is, the Kurds aren't threatened by and don't give a shit about their locally grown, devil worshiping, yahoos. The Kurds are a live & let live kind of folk. Shouldn't the fuckers with guns start identifying with these underdogs of the Middle East and stand with them?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Ah ha ... So it seems, dipshit Erdogan has decided the Kurds are "the other terrorists". You know; the ones he doesn't like. Dodgy

Quote:On Tuesday, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White announced that President Donald Trump had given his authorisation to "equip Kurdish elements of the Syrian Democratic Forces as necessary to ensure a clear victory" over IS in Raqqa.

Does this mean ... I agree with something ... coming out of this administration? Blink