So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 01:23 PM
RE: So ... Kurds - why are they so fucked all the time?
(24-03-2017 02:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  Yeah, something happened at a colonial office in London where they took up pencils and rulers and distributed the remnants of the Ottoman empire between them. Without giving a shit which ethnicity lived where or who was at odds with the other.

You don't say Dodgy I won't bother going into how they fucked *us* over. Just don't wonder next time I explode on the subject of barely educated Brits bitching about them bloody Bulgarians coming to steal our jobs, rape our women and live on the dole. Even if we actually were, you'd have it coming. For a bloody long time.

[Image: Memeall-407x400.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
10-05-2017, 03:27 PM
(10-05-2017 01:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  barely educated Brits bitching about them bloody Bulgarians coming to steal our jobs, rape our women and live on the dole. Even if we actually were, you'd have it coming. For a bloody long time.

Way I see it, if you lose your job to someone who barely speaks your language, you must be *fucking bad at your job*. Not to mention that virtually every country has laws about employing their nationals first before others. Which means that only the jobs that their nationals either don't want or can't do get given to foreigners.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I have a tough question for you all on the subject of the kurds of Syria. So far, they have created a de-facto state in Northern Syria that represent, in my opinion, an stunning socio-economical experiment. With the war continuing and the division between the international community on who to support and why, what are the chances we are going to witness a partition of Syria in a few smaller state, one with Assas or at least the Ba'ath party of Syria at its head, Rojovah and potentially an Alawite State. Would this increase instability within the Middle East, thus fostering the creation of future Islamist terrorist groups and States? Is supporting Rojova worth potentially sacrificing our good relationship with Turkey (even as it descent in an authocracy)? Personnaly, I would be tempted to say yes, but that might just be pure idealism. I dare have high hopes on Rojava social revolution to improve the standard of living the hapiness and the freedom of the populations participating in it, especially if hte changes become durable.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
17-05-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2017 08:45 AM by kim.)
And here we go.

Evidently, (as it was explained on NPR) Erdogan won't accept these Kurds because they are the bad Kurds. They are part of a group who was previously the enemy of the state.

So, is it Erdogan's nit-picking to rationalize his racism or does he have a legitimate point?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-05-2017, 08:33 PM
(17-05-2017 08:41 AM)kim Wrote:  And here we go.

Evidently, (as it was explained on NPR) Erdogan won't accept these Kurds because they are the bad Kurds. They are part of a group who was previously the enemy of the state.

So, is it Erdogan's nit-picking to rationalize his racism or does he have a legitimate point?

Unfortunatly both in my opinion.

There is no doubt the TEV-DEM, the coalition led by the PYD party, is completly aligned politically to the modern PKK. They are governing according to confederate communalism principles. The imprisonned PKK leader Abdullah Ă–calan and the american philospher Murray Bookchin are the major ideologue behind the "Social Revolution of Rojava" as they call it. Of course, the TEV-DEM denies any direct support or ambition outside of Syria and as called mutliple times for Turkey and them to build a cordial relationship. Of course, they are highly critical of Turkey's handling of the Kurds within its border. Thus Erdogan calling the Syrian Kurds forces as terrorist or at the very least supporting terrorist is not without a grain of truth.

On the other side, since the rule of the Young Turks during WWI and later with kemalism, Turkey has absorbed the European concept of nationalism which resulted in pretty horrible treatment of ethnic minority in Turkey. During WWI, Armenian were victim of forced diplacement and murder that amounted to genocide and killed over 1.5 million of them. Kurds were struck with similar ill fortune. At the same moment over 500 000 of them died in similar circomstances. Later they were denied the right to their language, culture and political activism. Their leaders were assassinated or imprisonned and they basicaly became the "niggers" of Turkey. Of course this gave rise to political extremism and independantist groups like the PKK which was declared a terrorist organisation for its tactics of using civilian and guerrilla warfare against governmental forces and for their Marxist-Leninist agenda. In the early 2000, after the death of the Soviet Union, the PKK changed its agenda from authoritarian and totalitarian form of communism to a libertarian and democratic one. Turkey did allowed under Erdogan presidency for Kurds to be able to teach and speak in their own language and even represent the leading opposition in Turkey (when they are not jailed or "kill themselves" with three shots in he back).

What does this all means, Turkey's brutal racism has fostered the creation of a violent revolutionary movement in Eastern Turkey that resulted in armed confrontation. Erdogan appeasement tactics might have put a stop to it a bit like the ERA renounced to violence, but the war in Syria and Erdogan authoritarianism has destroyed his own work and fuelled the fire of a new conflict. While Syrian Kurds are yet to be directly linked to the PKK, they do espouse pretty much the same ideology and denounce the same sort of human right abuse from Syria than Turkey. The success of of Rojava as a de-facto state is terrible threat to Turkey as it shows that the PKK politics and model of society can work. Its also a blow to Turkeys national prestige as this relatively unknown ethnic group gather some important international recognition and they start to talk about decades of forced assimilation, ethnic cleansing attempts and oppression under turkish rule.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post