• 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 10:06 AM
RE: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Maybe... one last puzzle before you leave? Thumbsup

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2012, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2012 02:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-03-2012 01:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-03-2012 01:09 PM)Zat Wrote:  OK, I had my R&R and enough time to think it through.

The comments I got for my “communication rules” were the last drop in the bucket.

People don’t want to communicate – they want to vent, chit-chat, hear their own voices, go on ego-trips, put each other down, have a trivia-pursuit social club.

Communication is a problem-solving exercise.

It has strict common-sense rules, without which no problem is solved, no consensus is built, talk becomes a pointless exercise, going around in circles, leading nowhere.

The state of the world around us is ample proof of what happens when people don’t know how to talk to each other, how to solve problems.

For a while, I thought that Internet Forums would give powerless people a new tool to, at least in words, solve the world’s problems.

This is not the case.

I have participated in various forums for the last 12 years.

This was the last one – there won’t be any more.

I really tried, very hard this time, to communicate.

Simple things, like violence and killing is bad, exploitation should not be tolerated, life is so incredibly simple and could be so unbelievably beautiful, if only we used critical judgment, basic principles, logic, our sense of fairness and compassion.

Maybe some of it got through, maybe not.

However, I am too old for so much hard work and so many disappointments.

This truly is my last post on any forums.

My beloved wife, my cats and my greenhouse with its ripening tomatoes are enough to live for – I don’t need anything else.

"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!"
I say good riddance to your pontificating and unwillingness to discuss when someone disagrees with you. You exchange a couple of comments then retreat, accusing the other party of being unreasonable.
I'm not sad to hear the last of you. Again.

So I'm reading this as a hypogonadal man on TRT and what I'm seeing is that both Zat and Chas should get their testosterone levels checked for different symptoms. One's being a pussy and one's being a prick. Both of these are reportable symptoms to my Doc to get my T dosage right.

This is not my signature.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-03-2012, 02:04 PM
(25-03-2012 01:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-03-2012 01:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  I say good riddance to your pontificating and unwillingness to discuss when someone disagrees with you. You exchange a couple of comments then retreat, accusing the other party of being unreasonable.
I'm not sad to hear the last of you. Again.

So I'm reading this as a hypogonadal man and what I'm seeing is that both Zat and Chas should get their testosterone levels checked for different symptoms. One's being a pussy and one's being a prick.
Isn't that the perfect match?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-03-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2012 07:48 PM by Zat.)
(25-03-2012 10:06 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Maybe... one last puzzle before you leave? Thumbsup
No problem, robotworld.

Person A has a ladder too long to store in his barn. Person B takes the ladder and runs very fast into the barn. For A, who is at rest with respect to the barn, the ladder will contract according to the Lorentz Transformation Formula, and if the velocity is fast enough, it will fit in the barn. But to B, who is moving with the ladder, it is the barn that will contract, making the problem even worse. So, who is correct? Does the ladder fit in the barn?

If this is too silly, then try this -- not a puzzle but rather a teaser:

How long would it take the US Space Shuttle to get to the Alpha Centauri System (our nearest galactic neighbour) at its maximum speed? Try to guess first and then do the calculation and see how close your guess was?
25-03-2012, 02:09 PM
(25-03-2012 02:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-03-2012 01:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I'm reading this as a hypogonadal man and what I'm seeing is that both Zat and Chas should get their testosterone levels checked for different symptoms. One's being a pussy and one's being a prick.
Isn't that the perfect match?

Pffft, maybe for brazzers.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-03-2012, 02:23 PM
(25-03-2012 02:09 PM)Zat Wrote:  Person A has a ladder too long to store in his barn. Person B takes the ladder and runs very fast into the barn. For A, who is at rest with respect to the ladder, the ladder will contract according to the Lorentz Transformation Formula, and if the velocity is fast enough, it will fit in the barn. But to B, who is moving with the ladder, it is the barn that will contract, making the problem even worse. So, who is correct? Does the ladder fit in the barn?
Can I try Smile I think that the events of the front of the ladder passing through the back barn wall and the back of the ladder being just inside the barn are some of those type of events for which the observer's perceptions will be that they happened at different times? It's a loooong time since I thought about relativity...

For Person B the events look like they occur simultaneously whereas for Person A the front of the ladder passes through the back wall *before* the back of the ladder is inside the building.
25-03-2012, 02:53 PM
So should I delete the account? Would that make it easier?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 04:37 PM
(25-03-2012 02:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  So should I delete the account? Would that make it easier?
No, lucradis, just leave it on -- unless you want to ban me for being too outspoken.

I still have a few friends here who may want to reach me by PM. I will check once in a while.

However, I won't pollute your board with any more posts, so you can relax. Big Grin
25-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Don't be a passive aggressive douchebag. You're old enough to behave better than that.

I was just offering as you've said numerous times that you were leaving for good.
I wanted to make it easier for you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2012, 05:01 PM
(25-03-2012 04:57 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I wanted to make it easier for you.
Thanks! Smile