So..... TTA alien invasion survival guide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2015, 10:22 AM
RE: So..... TTA alien invasion survival guide
(10-01-2015 07:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 07:15 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Any two bit kid can handle zombies, but aliens are much more of a challenge. They can be just as smart, they can have the ability to use weapons, and worst there is no one alien, so we don't what they can do, what they are immune to, or how the will attack. So how would you get ready for an or multiple scenarios for an alien invasion?

And yes go wild free.

The problem with aliens is, unlike zombies, since everything is unknown, any solution to such a problem can be unhelpfully dismissed with "Yeah, well (X condition here)!"

That said, clearly, the solution to aliens is shitty music.

Ahh!!!! You beat me to it. I was going to post the same damn thing.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-01-2015, 02:00 PM
(11-01-2015 09:25 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ... and the Sydney Opera house.

Not a big loss. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-01-2015, 02:04 PM
(11-01-2015 02:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 09:25 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ... and the Sydney Opera house.

Not a big loss. Drinking Beverage

What is the opera house anyway?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-01-2015, 02:09 PM
(11-01-2015 09:33 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If aliens come for our shit we'll be completely helpless. If they're completely hostile, they can exterminate us long range without worry of counterattack. If we survive, it's because they choose to let us. Either way it's their call.

I'd assess the situation based off whatever we knew on them, and then decide between merging with them, if it were an option and I felt that life under their leadership would be worth living, or going down in a hail of plasma if I decided it weren't.

I do wonder whether or not, extrapolating the theory of evolution to other worlds, it is highly likely that an advanced alien species would exhibit very similar hostile traits to humankind.

After all, I presume that our aggressive characteristics are a natural product of positively selected aggression necessary for survival. That being the case, surely it is not a matter of "if" they are aggressive, but exactly how well advanced their ethical system is and whether it extends to other species?

Given humankind's own poor track record or tolerating differences even within the same species, that does not bode well...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
11-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm going to assume that we'll stumble upon their homeworld while exploring the universe. That way we'll be the more technologically sophisticated species for a change.

Then we chuck a meteor at the planet; to soften them up a little before making first contact. No need to take any unnessercary risks, they'll never find out and the best way to facilitate our position as God Emperors is to come in as a saviour with sufficently advanced technology.

(11-01-2015 08:45 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Have you also notice aliens only seem to attack america?

And Japan (all the goddamn time). And Africa. And India. And fairly reliably at either pole. And France. And Australia (occasionally). And New Zealand on one memorable occasion ( more often while it's being protected by the Power Rangers).

Oooh. And Russia.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
11-01-2015, 02:38 PM
(11-01-2015 02:09 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 09:33 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If aliens come for our shit we'll be completely helpless. If they're completely hostile, they can exterminate us long range without worry of counterattack. If we survive, it's because they choose to let us. Either way it's their call.

I'd assess the situation based off whatever we knew on them, and then decide between merging with them, if it were an option and I felt that life under their leadership would be worth living, or going down in a hail of plasma if I decided it weren't.

I do wonder whether or not, extrapolating the theory of evolution to other worlds, it is highly likely that an advanced alien species would exhibit very similar hostile traits to humankind.

After all, I presume that our aggressive characteristics are a natural product of positively selected aggression necessary for survival. That being the case, surely it is not a matter of "if" they are aggressive, but exactly how well advanced their ethical system is and whether it extends to other species?

Given humankind's own poor track record or tolerating differences even within the same species, that does not bode well...

If they evolved in a situation where resources are plentiful but difficult to acquire, like our pre civilization egalitarian ancestors, then they are likely to be peaceful. If they evolved in a society where survival is based on the control of scarce resources on which we are absolutely dependent, then they probably adapted to be aggressive, much like post agriculture mankind.

'Murican Canadian
11-01-2015, 03:44 PM
(11-01-2015 02:25 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 08:45 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Have you also notice aliens only seem to attack america?

And Japan (all the goddamn time). And Africa. And India. And fairly reliably at either pole. And France. And Australia (occasionally). And New Zealand on one memorable occasion ( more often while it's being protected by the Power Rangers).

Oooh. And Russia.

Japan, not much, thanks to godzilla and ultraman

Africa, Not much you never here it from them

India, nobody care enough about india to invade it

France, same as india

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-01-2015, 03:49 PM
(11-01-2015 02:38 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 02:09 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I do wonder whether or not, extrapolating the theory of evolution to other worlds, it is highly likely that an advanced alien species would exhibit very similar hostile traits to humankind.

If they evolved in a situation where resources are plentiful but difficult to acquire, like our pre civilization egalitarian ancestors, then they are likely to be peaceful. If they evolved in a society where survival is based on the control of scarce resources on which we are absolutely dependent, then they probably adapted to be aggressive, much like post agriculture mankind.

Not sure I see the basis for that, so maybe you could expand? In particular, I am not aware (not being an archeologist) of a "pre civilization" that was egalitarian and peaceful. Is there evidence for this - without a shred of irony, I'd be truly interested to know more.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
11-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm not worried about an alien invasion. It will never happen.

My understanding is aliens don't give a rats ass about the human race. They will not be coming here to give us anything good, nor to destroy us.

They have their own agenda, and we are just another "animal" on this planet to them, no different than any other animals.

Like all known life forms, aliens are self serving. They will simply come here to take what they want, and to hell with the human race.

People tend to think we are some kind of threat, or have some kind of value to aliens.

We are not a threat, and we are worthless. That's the bottom line.

Gasp

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
11-01-2015, 04:43 PM
(11-01-2015 10:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(10-01-2015 07:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The problem with aliens is, unlike zombies, since everything is unknown, any solution to such a problem can be unhelpfully dismissed with "Yeah, well (X condition here)!"

That said, clearly, the solution to aliens is shitty music.

Great minds, and such.

Ahh!!!! You beat me to it. I was going to post the same damn thing.

(11-01-2015 02:04 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 02:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Not a big loss. Drinking Beverage

What is the opera house anyway?

.... I am very disappointed.
An opera house is where operas are traditionally preformed, though they usually have supplementary performances a la concerts to tide over funds since no normal human being cares about opera.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.