So...What IS it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
So...What IS it?
I've heard about people saying they've "talked to God." That's cool, I guess. But what gets to me is that they say God RESPONDED. What IS that?! They recount the ACTUAL conversation they had and what God SAIS to them.

Does that mean they are delusional? Does it mean they are lying?

I find that to be a major claim and one must be completely certain to say it happened. And I'm talking about my mother, my friends who said she prayed for a job and he answered her prayers, about people who DON'T have a documented mental illness.

If this comes off as sarcastic, it's not ENTIRELY so. I genuinely think this is a big deal.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 04:00 PM
RE: So...What IS it?
(03-03-2013 03:38 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I've heard about people saying they've "talked to God." That's cool, I guess. But what gets to me is that they say God RESPONDED. What IS that?! They recount the ACTUAL conversation they had and what God SAIS to them.

Does that mean they are delusional? Does it mean they are lying?

I find that to be a major claim and one must be completely certain to say it happened. And I'm talking about my mother, my friends who said she prayed for a job and he answered her prayers, about people who DON'T have a documented mental illness.

If this comes off as sarcastic, it's not ENTIRELY so. I genuinely think this is a big deal.

I believe it marks them as delusional. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Most people who talk to God and get 'answers' aren't claiming to have heard anything, just that the thing they talked about got better, so they assume it was God. Praying for help, receiving it, and then proclaiming it God's answer is one thing. Praying for help and then having a conversation with God where you hear him talking back is another entirely. The first is just ignorance and superstition, the second is evidence of a serious mental disorder.
03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey, Peanut.

Option one. According to science, it's a delusion. One cannot have telepathic conversations, with God or with anyone, therefore it must be a delusion. There's voices in your head.

Option two is they're lying through their teeth. Nuff said.

Option three is that they had a profound spiritual experience. They didn't "hear" anything in the literal sense, they just had a very profound experience and used the notion of being spoken to by God to help them interpret and make sense of it. This is different than being delusional.

Option four is that they're mistaken. Maybe they heard something and attributed it to God, a la, Marge Simpson pointing out to Homer, "That's not God Homey, that's a waffle."

Option five is that God exists and he told them what's up. Problem is, they have no evidence of it because God speaking to your brain doesn't leave evidence. So they're asking you to trust their revelation. It's up to you to decide if you will or not.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
03-03-2013, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 06:44 PM by PoolBoyG.)
1. Out right lying.
2. Actual mental sickness that's accepted because of the protected status of religions.
3. Artificially induced mental sickness (drug use, oxygen deprivation, etc).
4. Wishful thinking. They're just thinking to themselves what they expect/want to hear.

Either way, it's very sad and depressing.
03-03-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 09:37 PM by Full Circle.)
I have been worrying and wondering what to make of Egor's contention of a god talking to him (almost daily it seems). What happens if the voices tell him to hurt others? I get real anxious when people claim that they converse with voices in their heads. It ain't normal. No

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
It all just makes me uncomfortable. I have no problem with people having positive thinking; I just don't like that seemingly "normal," healthy and intelligent people claim to hear God talking to them. There's something wrong or they are lying. That doesn't seem holy to me if it's the latter. Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
03-03-2013, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 07:51 PM by Adenosis.)
(03-03-2013 06:35 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Option one. According to science, it's a delusion. One cannot have telepathic conversations, with God or with anyone, therefore it must be a delusion. There's voices in your head.

Option three is that they had a profound spiritual experience. They didn't "hear" anything in the literal sense, they just had a very profound experience and used the notion of being spoken to by God to help them interpret and make sense of it. This is different than being delusional.

That's still a delusion. Unlike option one where auditory hallucinations result in a delusion, option three is a delusion that is the result of an unfamiliar or profound experience.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
(03-03-2013 06:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I have been worrying and wondering what to make of Egor's contention of a god talking to him (almost daily it seems). What happens if the voices tell him to hurt others? I get real anxious when people calim that they converse with voices in their heads. It ain't normal. No
Ask him about it, he is a Psych nurse...bet he knows how they handle people who have daily conversations with the Easter Bunny.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
It's self-talk. There are no gods.
Everything going on is in their brains.
Actually in very localized places in their brains. They just have no clue how to name it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraperson...munication

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin