So...What IS it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
RE: So...What IS it?
(04-03-2013 06:20 PM)hedgehog648 Wrote:  

I'll just leave this here . . .

What IS... that from? Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Red Dwarf, Series 2 Episode 4, "Status Leak"
04-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I think that there are people that are neither delusional nor lying who claim god spoke to them.
They are just misinterpreting a thought process in their brain.
You can have an experience of some sort and it makes you ask yourself: "WTF is this"? Then you answer yourself with; "Well, it's xyz".
It's just a thought process, but people can interpret it as someone replying. They think that they did not know the answer. But it popped into their head. Where did it come from? Must have been god. Really it's something that was buried in their memory for the time being and the brain brought it up eventually. This can be especially so if there is a lapse of time between their asking themselves the question and the answer popping up.
Has it ever happened to you that you can't remember the word for something, or someone's name etc., and after a while it pops into your head out of nowhere?
I think the religious take that to be something god told them, and don't realize that they thought of this themselves.
I had an old aunt once tell me god spoke to her and told her how to solve an issue she had. I asked her about it, how did it happen, and that is what I came away with. She is neither delusional nor would she lie, I know her quite well. But she is deeply religious, and would love for god to guide her in daily life, so she attributed the sudden realization of what she could do to solve her issue to him.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-03-2013, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 12:32 AM by StorMFront.)
Its not delusional, the brain is powerful. Given the right stimuli, you can think you are doing pretty much anything. The stimuli are numerous, from drugs, to actually training your brain to think a certain way.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
(04-03-2013 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think that there are people that are neither delusional nor lying who claim god spoke to them.
They are just misinterpreting a thought process in their brain.
You can have an experience of some sort and it makes you ask yourself: "WTF is this"? Then you answer yourself with; "Well, it's xyz".
It's just a thought process, but people can interpret it as someone replying. They think that they did not know the answer. But it popped into their head. Where did it come from? Must have been god. Really it's something that was buried in their memory for the time being and the brain brought it up eventually. This can be especially so if there is a lapse of time between their asking themselves the question and the answer popping up.
Has it ever happened to you that you can't remember the word for something, or someone's name etc., and after a while it pops into your head out of nowhere?
I think the religious take that to be something god told them, and don't realize that they thought of this themselves.
I had an old aunt once tell me god spoke to her and told her how to solve an issue she had. I asked her about it, how did it happen, and that is what I came away with. She is neither delusional nor would she lie, I know her quite well. But she is deeply religious, and would love for god to guide her in daily life, so she attributed the sudden realization of what she could do to solve her issue to him.
I agree with those two, but I think there is also a third possibility. Most rationale people explain things in a way that fits best with reality. With religious people, they assume their god is part of reality so it doesn't seem at all irrational to them to choose that as an explanation when no other explanation is apparent. That wouldn't be lying or a delusion. It's a matter of starting with a false premise.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:I believe it marks them as delusional. [Image: coffeedrinker.gif]
Late to the party, but Chas's note reminds me to remind him and you... Do you REALLY believe 75% of humans have always been delusional? Maybe it's time to end this species and call it a wrap...
06-03-2013, 01:13 PM
(06-03-2013 12:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Late to the party, but Chas's note reminds me to remind him and you... Do you REALLY believe 75% of humans have always been delusional? Maybe it's time to end this species and call it a wrap...
Well that concerns me a little bit... It reminded me of a question on here recently asking if "atheism is responsible for mass shootings." The question was mostly about if a lack of an afterlife didn't make someone concerned for their own soul and eternal suffering, so what's to keep them from taking others down with them?

I think ANYONE is capable of harming other innocent people because of their own beliefs and discontent with their fellow man Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-03-2013, 07:35 AM
(03-03-2013 03:38 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I've heard about people saying they've "talked to God." That's cool, I guess. But what gets to me is that they say God RESPONDED. What IS that?! They recount the ACTUAL conversation they had and what God SAIS to them.

Does that mean they are delusional? Does it mean they are lying?

I find that to be a major claim and one must be completely certain to say it happened. And I'm talking about my mother, my friends who said she prayed for a job and he answered her prayers, about people who DON'T have a documented mental illness.

If this comes off as sarcastic, it's not ENTIRELY so. I genuinely think this is a big deal.
Constructing your own answer or view of something does not necessarily constitute a documented mental illness. It's pretty much just human nature.

When was the last time you saw something and interpreted it in your own way?

The last time you thought you heard something but misunderstood? Or misheard? Was it because you were expecting a certain answer already so your mind jumped the similarities?

When was the last time you wanted something so bad you started to dream about it? Start to fantasise about situations where your dream would come true?

Trust me, the term "delusional" may be used more selectively than it ought to, but it's human nature to be susceptible to delusion. The human eye can only see less than 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum and we can only hear less than 1% of the acoustic spectrum. Don't put too much faith in what you hear or see - that's why we have things measured by machines instead.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
08-03-2013, 07:41 AM
(03-03-2013 06:35 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Peanut.

Option one. According to science, it's a delusion. One cannot have telepathic conversations, with God or with anyone, therefore it must be a delusion. There's voices in your head.

Option two is they're lying through their teeth. Nuff said.

Option three is that they had a profound spiritual experience. They didn't "hear" anything in the literal sense, they just had a very profound experience and used the notion of being spoken to by God to help them interpret and make sense of it. This is different than being delusional.

Option four is that they're mistaken. Maybe they heard something and attributed it to God, a la, Marge Simpson pointing out to Homer, "That's not God Homey, that's a waffle."

Option five is that God exists and he told them what's up. Problem is, they have no evidence of it because God speaking to your brain doesn't leave evidence. So they're asking you to trust their revelation. It's up to you to decide if you will or not.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Option six is that God is just one of many voices in my head competing for my attention. Tongue

(08-03-2013 07:35 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  When was the last time you saw something and interpreted it in your own way?

When's the last time you didn't? Is it even possible not to? I don't think so.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-03-2013, 08:50 AM
(06-03-2013 12:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

No, it's time to wake up and grow up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user