So...What IS it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: So...What IS it?
It's delusional, it's easy to represent to those who pray and pray and receive no results by someone who also received nothing but somehow can recite word for word what their impending killer says without speaking a word in prayer, that communication defined through what prayer demands is ignored as long as the bearer can be sedated or entrapped in a coma where the world for them is oblivious in nothingness and their body is on standby. When Jonah prayed for 3 days in the fish he was released, when Alexander Aan called it bullshit he was detained.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 09:29 PM
(03-03-2013 09:00 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  It's delusional, it's easy to represent to those who pray and pray and receive no results by someone who also received nothing but somehow can recite word for word what their impending killer says without speaking a word in prayer, that communication defined through what prayer demands is ignored as long as the bearer can be sedated or entrapped in a coma where the world for them is oblivious in nothingness and their body is on standby.
Longest. Sentence. Ever. Excl

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
03-03-2013, 09:42 PM
(03-03-2013 07:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 06:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I have been worrying and wondering what to make of Egor's contention of a god talking to him (almost daily it seems). What happens if the voices tell him to hurt others? I get real anxious when people calim that they converse with voices in their heads. It ain't normal. No
Ask him about it, he is a Psych nurse...bet he knows how they handle people who have daily conversations with the Easter Bunny.

No shit? Now that is even more disturbing.
But I'm not sure I want to ask him...he might think he's chatting with a dog (my avatar) and that is perfectly normal.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I always assume it's more of a feeling they get. Of course, there are the seriously delusional ones who drown their kids in the bathtub because God told them to. However, most people just claim to get a feeling, an impulse to do something, which coincidentally enough, usually coincides with their own desires. "God, should I eat this piece of chocolate cake?" Nom nom. "I asked God and he told me I had earned it because of how hard I worked this week." God also freelances as a dietician on weekends. Strangely, God never insists that the person sell all their belongings, glue pubes to their face, and move to northern Russia.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
(03-03-2013 11:07 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Strangely, God never insists that the person sell all their belongings, glue pubes to their face, and move to northern Russia.

I'm placing this in the thread "Words I want to remember", too fucking funny.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
(03-03-2013 09:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 07:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ask him about it, he is a Psych nurse...bet he knows how they handle people who have daily conversations with the Easter Bunny.

No shit? Now that is even more disturbing.
But I'm not sure I want to ask him...he might think he's chatting with a dog (my avatar) and that is perfectly normal.
That's what he claims...scary, isn't it? You dyslexic...he's taking to god not dog, silly.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
A conversation with yourself isn't a dialogue, it's a monologue.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
04-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Some are delusional. Others are lying. Still others "hear God talking to them" in a way that doesn't constitute multi-syllabic words being spoken in their heads in full sentences. For them, it's simply a "feeling" - a deep and intense feeling that they interpret as God speaking to them when, in reality, they're just influencing themselves.

When I was with my christian girl; I prayed to God fervently to let me know if I should stay with her (and her sub-par faith) or if I should let her go. I meditated on this for hours and even days; asking God to guide me in the right direction. Ultimately, I was overcome with a certainty that I should not be with her anymore. I truly felt that this was God letting me know what the right choice was. So, I left her.

In hindsight, I now realize that this was not God speaking to me. Surely if it were; he could have communicated with me in a way that didn't bear such a striking resemblance to my own feelings of guilt urging me to get away from someone who was weak in my precious faith.

So, some people literally "hear" God. We call them schizophrenics. Others "hear" God because that'll surely impress us nonbelievers. We call them liars. Others "hear" God urging them to do things they already have a desire to do. We call them Human.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
(03-03-2013 06:35 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Peanut.

Option one. According to science, it's a delusion. One cannot have telepathic conversations, with God or with anyone, therefore it must be a delusion. There's voices in your head.

Option two is they're lying through their teeth. Nuff said.

Option three is that they had a profound spiritual experience. They didn't "hear" anything in the literal sense, they just had a very profound experience and used the notion of being spoken to by God to help them interpret and make sense of it. This is different than being delusional.

Option four is that they're mistaken. Maybe they heard something and attributed it to God, a la, Marge Simpson pointing out to Homer, "That's not God Homey, that's a waffle."

Option five is that God exists and he told them what's up. Problem is, they have no evidence of it because God speaking to your brain doesn't leave evidence. So they're asking you to trust their revelation. It's up to you to decide if you will or not.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I like this. It's a good summation. We ought not to rule out the idea that it could genuinely be God, but remain skeptical until that possibility is well-evidenced.

Christians shouldn't have to ask us to "trust their revelation". If God is talking to them, it might be in His best interest to speak to a group of people rather than just one a time, because that would make His communication a little more credible. It's not as if a group of people can't make stuff up, so lying is still a possibility, but it's unlikely that they'll all share the same delusion.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 06:20 PM

I'll just leave this here . . .
[+] 3 users Like hedgehog648's post