So Why Not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: So Why Not?
(25-05-2012 08:24 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
(25-05-2012 08:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, if you are here to convert me, obviously that won't work.

There ya have it. We are both content where we are at. I am not interested in becoming an atheist and you have no interest in pursuing God. I won't bother with the rest of your post as it cannot amount to anything since your closed. Any others who have no interest in exploring the possibility of God, the God I serve, need not waste time with me either.

Gary

So thinking about things is a waste of time?

I tought you came here so we could talk and you could learn to understand us and we could learn to understand you.

Oh, well.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
26-05-2012, 08:20 AM
(25-05-2012 08:24 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
(25-05-2012 08:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, if you are here to convert me, obviously that won't work.

There ya have it. We are both content where we are at. I am not interested in becoming an atheist and you have no interest in pursuing God. I won't bother with the rest of your post as it cannot amount to anything since your closed. Any others who have no interest in exploring the possibility of God, the God I serve, need not waste time with me either.

Gary
Most of us here have explored the possibility of your God and determined that the likelihood of his existence approaches zero. If you have new evidence, we will reconsider.

If you don't wish to have your basic beliefs challenged, then this is not the place for you.

As a humanist, I don't serve any gods; I stand on my own two feet physically, morally, ethically, and intellectually. It takes clarity and courage to face the universe as it is and to further explore reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
26-05-2012, 09:52 AM
(25-05-2012 07:16 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  Citing scripture for support is simply useless with someone who is unwilling to submit themselves unto the possibility of Gods existence.

You're right... citing scripture for support is simply useless... for anyone. There is no basis for you to believe it either except for faith, which I'm pointing out for the third and final time is the same thing that Muslims use to justify their beliefs that you don't share. It literally doesn't matter what their beliefs are -- substitute "Muslims" for "Jehovah's Witnesses" or "Mormons" or "Buddhists" or whatever else you like. The fact is that they believe by faith and not by real evidence that is useful to a skeptic. They also believe that their holy books are true by faith. They also believe that their gods exist because of their personal experience. Can you seriously not understand why their beliefs are no more compelling to me than they are to you?

I'm done wasting my time with you. Debate with you is fruitless. You can't even, for one moment, even attempt understanding. Your faith is a stumbling block to understanding. I know you think the same of me, and despite being able to see it in others you think you have a special immunity, as if you're infallible.

Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces"

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2012, 10:11 AM
(25-05-2012 09:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you come to an atheist forum to convert them to your religion, you're going to have a bad time,
Hello BD, just stopping by to look up a friend of mine, and thought I would also say hello to you as well. Hope things are going well for you.
God bless.
26-05-2012, 10:19 AM
(26-05-2012 10:11 AM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  
(25-05-2012 09:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you come to an atheist forum to convert them to your religion, you're going to have a bad time,
Hello BD, just stopping by to look up a friend of mine, and thought I would also say hello to you as well. Hope things are going well for you.
God bless.
Things are going quite well. I have a son as of January and I can't complain about anything else. Hope all is well on your end.

Evolve
26-05-2012, 10:41 AM
(26-05-2012 10:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 10:11 AM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Hello BD, just stopping by to look up a friend of mine, and thought I would also say hello to you as well. Hope things are going well for you.
God bless.
Things are going quite well. I have a son as of January and I can't complain about anything else. Hope all is well on your end.
Congrats! BD (bearded dude) is now BD (big daddy)...lol.
Good luck and blessings on this special event.
God bless.
26-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Hang on.
You are asking why a non-Theist hates a God? I thought you were just asking why a non-Theist wouldn't love a God.

In a sense, I suppose the same answer would suffice, however if you really need to pick nits...

There is not a God to love or hate. If there is anyone through which to experience love or hate, it might be one's self.

I'm pretty certain I've run across scriptures in your favored teachings which allude to this very idea.
Hang in there Gdemoss... everyone finds their own way. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Because it works without that assumption.

It is certainly possible, but why would a creator go to such painstaking lengths to make it rain by it evaporationing, and then accumulation, and finally it starts raining when he could have easily just made it rain?
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
26-05-2012, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2012 02:35 PM by Debzilla.)
So many great points already said. Guess I'll say the same thing in my own way.

I don’t hate the christian story of god; it is for me no different than any other deity/deities myth.
It is some of the people whose belief in god(s) drives hurtful, cruel, destructive actions that I truly dislike, distrust, and frankly find most frightening.
That in no way means there aren’t people who scare me for non-religious beliefs.
Could there be an intelligent "creator" of our universe? I have no idea because he/she/it/they have yet to leave evidence that describes what exactly he/she/it/they are or are not.
Just because a creation story is ancient, retold, and believed by very many people does not equal evidence.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
26-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I came because someone asked me a direct question in another thread. I have been interested in the mindset of atheism, especially of those who were former theists. It is amazing to see that there is just as much a rainbow of beliefs among atheists as there are among theists. My hope is that God will not leave you in your current state of unbelief but the end is quite uncertain. With God all things are possible as earlier today I was able to hear a confession from an atheist turned theist, who is working to learn what he can. Some will make it others won't and many theists will fall but in the end it will all be sorted out.

Peace be upon you all,

Gary