So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
I occasionally go to church. IT's not for church reasons. My wife goes and I sometimes go to do some heavy lifting of items, like tables etc.

When I was down doing some work the child's Sunday school was going on. They were talking about Genesis. The instructor (wife of the pastor) was talking about anything they teach you in school about evolution and the big bang is absurd and wrong, that it was true that God created something out of nothing and that the world was only 4,000 years old.

Now I've heard account of people believing that the world was only that old, but until I heard it come out of the someone's mouth, I didn't realize how absurd it sounded.

My sister is a young earther. She refuses to even pay attention in astronomy or geology class because it doesn't fit with her world view.

It just amazes me.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
RE: So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
That's crazy. We all know that the earth is 28 years old, because I didn't exist before then. And if I didn't exist, how could the world?

Scientists just made up the whole Fertile Crescent thing and Neolithic period so they could sin more.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
(06-06-2011 11:18 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  That's crazy. We all know that the earth is 28 years old, because I didn't exist before then. And if I didn't exist, how could the world?

Scientists just made up the whole Fertile Crescent thing and Neolithic period so they could sin more.

Oh, the best was when she used the wristwatch analogy. If I throw up the parts of a wristwatch up in the air a million times, It will never come down and form a wristwatch.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Odd, I thought it was 6,000... Tongue

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
As someone who was never exposed to Creationism while growing up (save for some Genesis, which I was told not to take literally), I find it rather silly that there are people who say the earth was "made" at around the time writing was first invented. It's like "No written records, no Earth".

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
(06-06-2011 11:23 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:18 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  That's crazy. We all know that the earth is 28 years old, because I didn't exist before then. And if I didn't exist, how could the world?

Oh, the best was when she used the wristwatch analogy. If I throw up the parts of a wristwatch up in the air a million times, It will never come down and form a wristwatch.

funny.. even her analogy is wrong... throw the parts of a wrist watch in the air long enough and they will at some point fall into a perfectly formed watch. May take a near infinite amount of time but the probability of it not ever happening is non zero. The Universe always allows for a "jump" to higher order... they are just very very rare.
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
That is what makes me what to de-convert all Christians. Cause those little kids will grow up thinking that anything and everything that is not biblically approved is wrong.

Also, this ad is the bottom of the page:
[Image: imgad?id=CKaj4P_4obmLYhDUAxg8MggDoa5Bo5ZfMw]
Anyone else find that ad a little bit funny(and sad)?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM

(06-06-2011 11:11 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My sister is a young earther. She refuses to even pay attention in astronomy or geology class because it doesn't fit with her world view.

It just amazes me.
Is your sister still in school? Is it public school?
I wonder how young earther children actually pass the sciences portion of their education, going to a public school?
And if they attend parochial school where this 6 to 10 thousand year old universe nonsense may be taught, how do they expect to function in the real world? Even if they do attend a Christian college where the absurd is implanted at a higher price per semester?

God made me stupid! So proud. Soooo, soooo proud.
And saved. (From god) Angel
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post
06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
(06-06-2011 07:17 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:11 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My sister is a young earther. She refuses to even pay attention in astronomy or geology class because it doesn't fit with her world view.

It just amazes me.
Is your sister still in school? Is it public school?
I wonder how young earther children actually pass the sciences portion of their education, going to a public school?
And if they attend parochial school where this 6 to 10 thousand year old universe nonsense may be taught, how do they expect to function in the real world? Even if they do attend a Christian college where the absurd is implanted at a higher price per semester?

God made me stupid! So proud. Soooo, soooo proud.
And saved. (From god) Angel

My ladies little sister used to be home schooled and her mom was of course the teacher. As such she never learned anything about (much really) evolution, which I would have thought was going to be an issue for her when she eventually went back to public school for grade 9..... to my immense dissatisfaction the school she ended up attending gave her an immediate pass because she was brought up religious..... so she never learned anything..... like wtf. Also this was the same high school I attended growing up and it isn't the slightest bit religious. How is this stuff even plausible in real life? I don't get it, it's so far removed from reality I have to assume we as a species are broken horribly, just horribly.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-06-2011, 07:45 PM
(06-06-2011 07:17 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I wonder how young earther children actually pass the sciences portion of their education, going to a public school?

I don't know about the USA, but here in Canada our schools have a policy of ZERO FAILURES. Which means the teachers will bend over backwards, making the work easier and easier, almost doing it for you if put up enough of a fuss.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"