So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2011, 09:34 PM

RE: So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
(06-06-2011 07:32 PM)lucradis Wrote:  My ladies little sister used to be home schooled ...
I attended two years of parochial school, before returning to public high school for 10th grade unto graduation. I never received an instant pass because I attended the religious version of any class.

Maybe the school you're talking about is afraid of being sued for religious discrimination,or some such nonsense. Maybe they just don't want the hassle of a religious home school teacher making public waves, as they may think could happen.

The far right ultra-conservative Fundy agenda has no problem insisting on their rights to exercise their religious freedom, while thinking others must tolerate that at the sacrifice of their rights to be free of that religious agenda.
I once saw a minister on an MSNBC panel of pundits wherein they were discussing one of the latest State bill's seeking gay marriage equality. The religious opposition to the bill was brought up and this minister said that people have to realize there is no guarantee in the Constitution that one has a right to be free from religion.

I think it's that mindset that causes a lot of conformity to the religious front's demand to invade the secular community with exceptions to the rules. Many in the secular realm simply seem not to want to fight the advancement, the push, of religious zealotry.

It's tragic, when that happens in a learning environment. Because it teaches the wrong lesson to the future generation that's going to have to run with what they're taught is politically correct. And since Christianity often emboldens believers to argue it is the only faith that has the right to free exercise within all sectors of society, it's a horrific precedent to set in a public government school program, when it comes to something as simple as religious home schooling affording the place to draw the line, while failing to do so, so as to provide a lesson once again about Christians being accorded exception to the rules.

(06-06-2011 07:45 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 07:17 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I wonder how young earther children actually pass the sciences portion of their education, going to a public school?

I don't know about the USA, but here in Canada our schools have a policy of ZERO FAILURES. Which means the teachers will bend over backwards, making the work easier and easier, almost doing it for you if put up enough of a fuss.
That's scary. Like unto a philosophy; just graduate them so they're no longer our problem anymore.
I thought the U.S. "No Child Left Behind" program was bad. Canada trumped us. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
(06-06-2011 09:34 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  That's scary. Like unto a philosophy; just graduate them so they're no longer our problem anymore.
I thought the U.S. "No Child Left Behind" program was bad. Canada trumped us. Sad

I don't know if the system is the same all over Canada, but thats what its like here in New Brunswick. You need 17 credits by the end of grade 11 to go on to grade 12, and you need 21 credits to graduate- you only need 1 science credit, which some people are able to get in grade 9 if they're lucky, math isn't required past grade 11, the teachers assistants practically give you the answers if you whine enough, and of course people usually only take courses they think will be easy, instead of courses they might actually like and exceed in.
Teachers can give homework, but its against provincial regulations to give grades based on homework, and I also seriously question the qualifications of some of my teachers.
To be honest, I don't know how much of a difference it would be if all the above changed, these kids aren't going anywhere with their lives, they're all "gangstas" and "fashion divas", I doubt they have enough brain cells left to understand what a fulfilling life looks like.
Even when the work is easy, or if its actually an interesting class, the most common thing I hear is "School is so STUPID! why do I have to go to this stupid fucking school!?".

So moral of the story...
You can't expect the system to do everything, the system can't do your work for you.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 11:44 PM

(06-06-2011 11:38 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 09:34 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  That's scary. Like unto a philosophy; just graduate them so they're no longer our problem anymore.

I don't know if the system is the same all over Canada, but thats what its like here in New Brunswick. You need 17 credits by the end of grade 11 to go on to grade 12, and you need 21 credits to graduate- you only need 1 science credit, which some people are able to get in grade 9 if they're lucky, math isn't required past grade 11, the teachers assistants practically give you the answers if you whine enough, and of course people usually only take courses they think will be easy, instead of courses they might actually like and exceed in.
Teachers can give homework, but its against provincial regulations to give grades based on homework, and I also seriously question the qualifications of some of my teachers.
To be honest, I don't know how much of a difference it would be if all the above changed, these kids aren't going anywhere with their lives, they're all "gangstas" and "fashion divas", I doubt they have enough brain cells left to understand what a fulfilling life looks like.
Even when the work is easy, or if its actually an interesting class, the most common thing I hear is "School is so STUPID! why do I have to go to this stupid fucking school!?".

So moral of the story...
You can't expect the system to do everything, the system can't do your work for you.

My dear god, this is like a horror story. You just gave me nightmares for the next couple of days. I can't say the U.S. system is really that much better though.

Those that believe that the Earth is only 4000 years are, if you will, beyond salvation. The best way to treat your sister is to taker her to an astronomer, if that doesn't do anything then nothing will.
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
That Sunday School teacher isn't just wrong about God creating the universe, she's wrong by about 2,200 years as to when the Bible claims it was created. Also, she must never have heard of China, which has written history going back 5,000 years, meaning we have documentary evidence that makes the Earth at least 1,000 years older than she's teaching those kids. I'm amazed that anyone who understands that the stars in the night sky are distant suns, many of them so far away it has taken billions of years for the light we see to reach the Earth, can still pretend to themselves that Genesis is factually accurate. Not to mention they have to dismiss the entire fossil record. The sheer amount of denial and deliberate ignorance required to be a creationist these days must require a staggering amount of energy and mental acrobatics. It would be like trying to pretend that there's no such thing as airplanes. How often would you be required to close your eyes and plug your ears to pull that off?

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes hotrodmike's post
07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
(06-06-2011 07:17 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:11 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My sister is a young earther. She refuses to even pay attention in astronomy or geology class because it doesn't fit with her world view.

It just amazes me.
Is your sister still in school? Is it public school?
I wonder how young earther children actually pass the sciences portion of their education, going to a public school?
And if they attend parochial school where this 6 to 10 thousand year old universe nonsense may be taught, how do they expect to function in the real world? Even if they do attend a Christian college where the absurd is implanted at a higher price per semester?

God made me stupid! So proud. Soooo, soooo proud.
And saved. (From god) Angel

You've probably seen this video about the Star Size Comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q

She won't even watch that because it contradicts her religious mindset. I don't believe a god made it, but watching this makes me appreciate science.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
07-06-2011, 07:35 AM

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is an earther? Are they the people that believe the earth is flat?
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM
There may be, but the Flat Earth Society is satirical so if you are referring to them, then I'd say "no".

There are, however, people who believe the sun orbits the Earth, just like the bible says. They even had a conference last year.

http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/

How sad is that?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
(07-06-2011 07:35 AM)Pit_lover Wrote:  I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is an earther? Are they the people that believe the earth is flat?

I think the reference "earther" was being made about Young Earth Creationists. (I usually call them YECs)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Ah, thank you. My husband and I had looked at that flat earth society's page it really made me sick to look at. I was very convinced it was a joke for a bit!
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
(06-06-2011 11:38 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  

So moral of the story...

Perhaps that's just NB, 'cause the high school I went to was better than what yours sounds like (and my old school is rated one of the worst in BC! lol). We needed at least 2 science classes at grade 11 level. But yes, I can understand what you're getting at. A lot of students just aren't motivated to learn and a part of that can be the teachers' fault. If the teacher isn't motivated, then why should the students be? That being said, there's a lot of pressure put on teachers due to increased class sizes and not enough T.A.'s to help students who need assistance.
I worked with a middle-school science/math teacher during an education practicum and saw what some teachers have to deal with. He has students in his class with learning disabilities who are pushed through the system despite the fact that they aren't really learning anything. Some of them are at least 2 grade levels below their actual grade, which makes it difficult for both teachers and students alike. Seriously, Canada needs to revamp its education system Undecided

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula