So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-06-2011, 01:44 AM
RE: So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
My mom is a young earth creationist, she says the devil put the fossils here, and she says the light from distant stars was moved forwards in space so that we could see them...She also says that when God created everything he created animals in their mature ages (like how Adam would have been created probably in his mid 30's, not as an infant), and that is why carbon dating shows absurd numbers...having a religious conversation with her is infuriating.

She had the nerve to tell me that she would miss me in heaven when she gets raptured while my 2 year old and 6 month old experience 7 years of tribulation and terror. I asked her how she could worship a God that would torture her grandchildren, and how she could spend eternity with something so evil. All she could say was "evil and immorality do not come from God ever."

My high school in the US taught evolution, they would say you may believe that this is false, but you need to know it in order to pass. I thought that was a pretty fair way to teach it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 05:53 PM

(07-06-2011 09:51 AM)Pit_lover Wrote:  Ah, thank you. My husband and I had looked at that flat earth society's page it really made me sick to look at. I was very convinced it was a joke for a bit!
I know what you mean. I thought at first that they were Satire, like unto Landover Baptist Church.

FES whole platform is based on what they say is "common sense and observation". That Flat Earth Society has more than one member, is scary. But what's worse is they were founded, and remain active though not consistently, since 1956.
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 06:18 PM

(08-06-2011 05:53 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
(07-06-2011 09:51 AM)Pit_lover Wrote:  Ah, thank you. My husband and I had looked at that flat earth society's page it really made me sick to look at. I was very convinced it was a joke for a bit!
I know what you mean. I thought at first that they were Satire, like unto Landover Baptist Church.

FES whole platform is based on what they say is "common sense and observation". That Flat Earth Society has more than one member, is scary. But what's worse is they were founded, and remain active though not consistently, since 1956.

We looked on their facebook page and I about threw up when I saw that some of the people in the society were science pofessors at colleges and/or have degrees in science!! I just can't believe it
08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
As others have pointed out, the flat earth society isn't a real organization, its satire.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
08-06-2011, 08:46 PM

(08-06-2011 07:18 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  As others have pointed out, the flat earth society isn't a real organization, its satire.
I'm one that always thought FES was satire. However, I don't think that is the case. I actually went to Wiki, in the event the FES page was in keeping with the full on ruse as a satire site, to see what I could garner from the read and the reference links.

They're real! At least the 1956 organization was. (*Note* I was mistaken about it's origins. The FES website says the modern age of the FES dates back to the 1800's!) It lost it's fervor after it's successor/leader died in 2001. And was later revive d in 2004. How it started is what leads me to believe, and per the Wiki entries, that the intent was serious. I checked the Wiki entry thoroughly and there's no mention of it being satire. Which is scary, quite frankly, given the read. Confused

(Sic)"...In 1956, Samuel Shenton, a signwriter by trade and a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society[citation needed] created the International Flat Earth Society as a successor to the Universal Zetetic Society and ran it as "organizing secretary" from his home in Dover, in Britain.[11] Due to Shenton's interest in alternative science and technology, the emphasis on religious arguments was less than in the predecessor society.[14] (Wiki Source)
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
(08-06-2011 01:44 AM)tjv323 Wrote:  My mom is a young earth creationist, she says the devil put the fossils here, and she says the light from distant stars was moved forwards in space so that we could see them...She also says that when God created everything he created animals in their mature ages (like how Adam would have been created probably in his mid 30's, not as an infant), and that is why carbon dating shows absurd numbers...having a religious conversation with her is infuriating.

She had the nerve to tell me that she would miss me in heaven when she gets raptured while my 2 year old and 6 month old experience 7 years of tribulation and terror. I asked her how she could worship a God that would torture her grandchildren, and how she could spend eternity with something so evil. All she could say was "evil and immorality do not come from God ever."

My high school in the US taught evolution, they would say you may believe that this is false, but you need to know it in order to pass. I thought that was a pretty fair way to teach it.

I have a friend like that. Evolution is the devil he says. Science is all wrong, and pastors are right! I mean, pastors only read one book, the bible, and quote mine it and say it's a prophecy. I guess pastors are right, because a bible trumps geology, astronomy, paleontologist, astrophysics, etc. Fossils are the devil!

I don't like it how they say 'what banged' (reference to the big bang theory) then say something can't come out of nothing, but when I point out the references to creationism of how it's the same thing, they say it isn't.

12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
(08-06-2011 01:44 AM)tjv323 Wrote:  "evil and immorality do not come from God ever."

The Bible itself states that God sent out evil spirits:

But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

And the evil spirit from the LORD was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand

etc...

Why won't God heal amputees?
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
On the FES, they have been around over 50 years (although there was a break in between) but they absolutely are satirical. In fact, part of what they are doing is making fun of people. They have had a pretty big resurgence in the past 10 years.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-06-2011, 11:55 AM
That is scary.I went to a primary school in England and they used to teach religion more than science. Maybe because they was a lot more Muslims there than anyone else.My Dad wanted me to move because he didn't like what they were teaching but I said it would just mess up my education (later moved in Y5 -4th grade in USA). I mean I was fascinated by some religions(Hinduism and Buddhism) but mostly taught Christianity and Islam. But now in high school you get a variation of each religion.Smile

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
13-06-2011, 01:06 PM
(12-06-2011 02:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  On the FES, they have been around over 50 years (although there was a break in between) but they absolutely are satirical. In fact, part of what they are doing is making fun of people. They have had a pretty big resurgence in the past 10 years.

Ok, I did some googling on the FES and I may have been wrong about them always being satirical. Based on what I read, which I took at its word, it seems the original founder may have been an official loon. Interesting, because I had always heard previously that it was all a big joke.

Regardless, the current society, at least the US version of it, is satire. There may be more than one group using the name, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost