So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-06-2011, 03:35 AM
RE: So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
It is very interesting how great some things are in this God-forsaken Croatia. We teach our kids normal science in science class, religion in religion class and that is optional, you can choose religion or ethics class. And it is like that in every school in the whole country, elementary and high school. There is no such thing as home-schooling. If you don't have a diploma from a school, you didn't finish it and to finish it you need to know thing that are in books. So it really amazes me how a country like USA or Canada can allow such stupid things like home-schooling or policy of zero failures ? I mean, can you mother really be that professional like some teacher who has to finish college to be called a teacher? Who, in their right mind, has ever allowed such thing to be possible? A good example how much more advanced school system we have here is when my friend went to USA as a student exchange, he was there to finish and graduate the last year of his high school. They were teaching elementary grade mathematics when he came, he could not believe his eyes, all the things he was listening in USA was couple of years behind the schooling in Croatia. And we are considered to be a very primitive country from Balkans who doesn't have roads... Yeah right.

I think this is all done deliberately to keep people stupid, the stupider you are, the easier it is to control you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 11:33 AM
At least in Pennsylvania, all home schooled students must follow a curriculum set forth by the PA Dept. of Education. It mirrors what is learned in public schools. They have to take annual tests to ensure they are keeping current with their contemporaries in public school. So I really don't have much of a problem with home schooling.

The problem I do have with it is it is often religious fundies who want to put their heads in the sand when it comes down to issues of science.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Most of the home schoolers I know are not religious fundamentals and do pretty well at teaching their children in a community of thinkers. I do know some messed up home schooled children, but I feel it is not a completely baseless desire. Public schools do lack important things for children to grow up beyond working at factories (the original design of the system). The sad truth is that many who would home school their children don't spend the time or bring in enough help to give them a good education. The best way to home school a child is to do it with your community. If you know a scientist let him discuss a lot of the science stuff. The main issue commonly seen is that children are then taught by a single figure.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
17-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Trust me Filox, you're better off without paved roads. As we say in my hometown "New Brunswick has 4 seasons - Winter, still winter, spring, and construction."
I'd say it must be rather difficult for larger nations to fund everything that goes on, Canada doesn't really have that big a population, but it seems that a lot of kids are from the ghettos and end up being pushed through the system because they have difficulty or don't want to commit to learning.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
21-06-2011, 05:49 AM
I can not understand what is the purpose of pushing someone through school and let him/her pass without the required knowledge? It's absurd. I have failed to pass one year (3. grade in high school), then I went again, and at the end I graduated with top grades (5 out of 5) as one of the best in my class. And I came to the class as the worst, the one that was repeating the whole year with all the classes that go with it. If they have let me pass that time, I would barely finish my school, because I would expect them to let me pass the next grade as well. So if you let someone pass one time, he/she is used to it, and expects it later in life. That is why there are grades and exams and one of the grades is "not pass"; F; 1; depended on the country you live. Real teacher would never let someone pass if they haven't earned it. That is the only way you can understand how to earn your place in life, you have to fight and try hard for the things you want/need.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-06-2011, 08:56 AM
This is just sad:

The Miss USA contestants are asked the question "Should evolution be taught in schools?". It starts bad right off the bat.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
21-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I was just about to post that video as a new thread.

1. Why are all Miss USA contestants always so ugly?
2. I can feel their blank stares penetrating my soul
3. School should be a buffet of every idea ever thought up, and we should let kids pick and choose which ones they think are neat. We will soon have adults walking around who believe in the Stork Theory of childbirth, the healing power of leeches, and that the earth is the center of the universe... because he chose to be taught that in school.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
21-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Well thank goodness Miss Idaho thinks we should be "knowledged" about evolution!

Does anyone else want to tear their hair out if the hear the "both sides of the story" thing one more time??

So many cats, so few good recipes.
21-06-2011, 01:27 PM
A) Most of them were utterly terrified of the question, and I think it was Mis Utah who put it bluntly when she said, no matter what she says someone is going to be offended and get mad at her. Obviously most of them had been coached to use the "both sides should be taught" line as the safe way out.

B) Probably only three or four of the contestants gave me the impression that they knew how well-established, accepted, and bolstered by mountains of evidence evolution is.

C) I'm not sure that any of them understood that you can't teach science without teaching evolution.

D) It sickens me to see how terrified most of these young women were of offending the religious people around them. It's as if we could revert to burning witches at any moment. I'm so glad I don't live in the USA, with a culture that is so heavily influenced by fundamental Christianity that people tremble in fear when asked if they think public schools should teach students scientific theory rather than creationism, or honestly believe the two should be given equal weight.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
21-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I kinda came out to my wife this weekend, though not as strongly as I would have liked.

And of course I have to go to church (I do so for social reasons and cause it's fun to red the bible in the pew for atrocities while everyone talks about love) the minister's tirade was against Atheists, who it turns out are only Atheists because either:

1. They worship a peagan god
2. They just love to sin so much.

The Minister started crying, he was aghast that in a country like this Atheism could be on the rise!
And the Amens

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user