So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-06-2011, 03:05 PM
RE: So apparently the universe is 4,000 years old.
(21-06-2011 02:03 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  2. They just love to sin so much.

Got me on that one.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:1. They worship a peagan god
2. They just love to sin so much.

Well, I'm guilty of both. Love me some debauchery. Bacchus is a badass by the way.

Quote:And the Amens
0_0 they haunt my dreams

"Do what though wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - The Book of the Law
"There is no God but man" - Liber OZ

Light and Nature

Tweet!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not a pagan god, I'm a Sumerian succubus =p He's way off. And I only sin by my existence. There's nothing I can do which won't offend a fundamentalist. Can't be female, can't be male, can't have sex, I'm just a big ball of sin not even trying. I even advocate for understanding of sinners (transgendered people), so that people won't ruin the earthly lives of their neighbors who disagree with them. Oh my cat what a sinner!!! Oh wait they don't say cat that must be some sort of sin in itself =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-06-2011, 02:38 PM
That Miss USA video was simply awful. Their answers were so...vague it seemed as if they really didn't give an opinion at all. I really don't like the Miss USA association to begin with, but this really takes the cake.

1. I doubt very many of them even understand the basics of evolution, and how it's very supported and accepted in the scientific community. They keep using the phrase, "It's just a theory"... it's like they didn't even understand the scientific meaning of the word. I didn't appreciate how those that sounded firm in their belief that evolution should be taught in schools were quickly cycled through, I guess Miss USA didn't want to upset middle America.

2. Creationism should be taught along with evolution? Get out of town, this is biology class, not religion or philosophy. Science as in "Reasoned, testable, rational" not based on feelings or superstitions. Also, this is a sore point for me, considering there are SO MANY MORE views on creationism other than the Abrahimic view, like the bad ass Japanese view (Classic Shinto myth believes that the Japanese islands were bukakked into existence).

I believe that religion should be taught in schools, but from an anthropological prospective rather then an anecdotal perspective, with major religions covered, as well as several historical and minor religions as well. (After all, the better you know your enemy).

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
13-10-2011, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2011 06:59 AM by Azaraith.)
(06-06-2011 11:39 AM)myst32 Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:23 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:18 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  That's crazy. We all know that the earth is 28 years old, because I didn't exist before then. And if I didn't exist, how could the world?

Scientists just made up the whole Fertile Crescent thing and Neolithic period so they could sin more.

Oh, the best was when she used the wristwatch analogy. If I throw up the parts of a wristwatch up in the air a million times, It will never come down and form a wristwatch.

funny.. even her analogy is wrong... throw the parts of a wrist watch in the air long enough and they will at some point fall into a perfectly formed watch. May take a near infinite amount of time but the probability of it not ever happening is non zero. The Universe always allows for a "jump" to higher order... they are just very very rare.

Assuming no degredation... I'd think the parts would wear out, get damaged or get lost by being thrown up and falling repeatedly far sooner than they'd ever fall together as a watch. In a vacuum and an enclosed space with invulnerable parts, yes, but in reality? As near to impossible as makes no difference - and there are bottlenecks on it happening that prevent infinite time from working out. You're correct of course, but the odds are like 1:(infinity - 1) that the watch would form in the short amount of time where all watch parts are falling in the same place undamaged. I doubt you'll be able to convince most creationists that infinitesimally small odds are still greater than 0, since it sounds so "impossible" that it's ridiculous. They don't usually understand that everything is a matter of probabilities - very little is determinedly impossible.

Better without God, and happier too.