Poll: Would you eat a woolly mammoth?
Yes! Finally! I've been wanting to eat this since I was a kid.
No. What am I? A caveman?
[Show Results]

So, are you going to eat a Woolly Mammoth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: So, are you going to eat a Woolly Mammoth?
(07-12-2011 01:58 AM)thearicks Wrote:  I wonder what it tastes like but i'll give it a try on 2017. Big Grin If they are able to recreate an actual Mammoth, that would be really amazing. Just being able to see it at a zoo would be great. My only concern is if they're released into the wild. How much damage could they cause? Definitely, they will disrupt the food chain.
Moreover, I have read that researchers question whether it is ethical to re-create a species that is extinct – both from a standpoint of humane treatment and a standpoint of medical ethics. There are strong arguments on both sides, and as researchers continue their work, the final deadline for decision and action will soon come.Article Source: http://www.newsytype.com/13798-clone-wooly-mammoth/

Without even getting into ethics, I don't think it's a good idea to be resurrecting species that have been extinct for long enough for their natural environment to have disappeared. The consequences for the environment and other species could seriously outweigh the almost non-existant benefits. I mean, what are we gaining here. Sure, it's cool to brag to your buddies that you have powers of necromancy, but what else is there to gain?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
We can grow meat in labs now. Yumm. Add mammoth meat.
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
(03-10-2013 05:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  ...
I don't think it's a good idea to be resurrecting species threads that have been extinct for long enough for their natural environment to have disappeared.

Fixt!

Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Re: So, are you going to eat a Woolly Mammoth?
Id buy a big mammoth leg for $25

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
(03-10-2013 06:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 05:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  ...
I don't think it's a good idea to be resurrecting species threads that have been extinct for long enough for their natural environment to have disappeared.

Fixt!

Thumbsup

I didn't do it! Tongue

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
03-10-2013, 11:03 PM
(03-10-2013 08:01 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 06:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Fixt!

Thumbsup

I didn't do it! Tongue

I know. But guilt by association.

Angel

04-10-2013, 12:08 AM
(03-10-2013 05:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Without even getting into ethics, I don't think it's a good idea to be resurrecting species that have been extinct for long enough for their natural environment to have disappeared. The consequences for the environment and other species could seriously outweigh the almost non-existant benefits. I mean, what are we gaining here. Sure, it's cool to brag to your buddies that you have powers of necromancy, but what else is there to gain?

It'd just be amazing science. Can't ever see more than 1 or 2 being cloned anyway. And the environment and other species are already under unsustainable pressure. It will lead to advances in cloning science too, no doubt.