So, can we talk about the fiasco in Iraq / Syria ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 08:00 AM
RE: So, can we talk about the fiasco in Iraq / Syria ?
(16-06-2014 05:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... what you're saying, Rev and cjlr, is that when your imaginary war of Saudi Arabia invading Iran for the sole purpose of power projection doesn't happen, I get to say 'I told you so'?

Sure, except for the part where I never said anything even remotely like that.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 01:57 PM
[Image: oil.jpg]

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] Capoeira status:NO CORD
16-06-2014, 02:03 PM
(16-06-2014 01:57 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  [Image: oil.jpg]

Holy shit, guys there's oil in the middle east and it is related to a lot of the troubles there. Fuck if only we all knew this and treated it as a given. Hobo

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
16-06-2014, 02:12 PM
(16-06-2014 02:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 01:57 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  [Image: oil.jpg]

Holy shit, guys there's oil in the middle east and it is related to a lot of the troubles there. Fuck if only we all knew this and treated it as a given. Hobo

It does relate to a lot of troubles. That is all.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] Capoeira status:NO CORD
16-06-2014, 03:55 PM
What pisses me off is how the mainstream/politicians will portray that action in Iraq will need to be taken for humanitarian reasons.

They build support from the public under this pretense, when I don't understand why they are not just honest and say it is to protect the supply and distribution of oil from the OPEC nations.

I suppose on the plus side any military expenditure can be somehow manipulated into your GDP for next quarters growth Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-06-2014, 04:45 PM
(16-06-2014 03:55 PM)bemore Wrote:  What pisses me off is how the mainstream/politicians will portray that action in Iraq will need to be taken for humanitarian reasons.

They build support from the public under this pretense, when I don't understand why they are not just honest and say it is to protect the supply and distribution of oil from the OPEC nations.

Pretense, eh?

One can debate what might be a more effective response to a humanitarian crisis. One can even debate whether there should be any response to a humanitarian crisis.

What is rather less productive is to transparently presuppose that of course the stated motive isn't really true in any way, because reasons...

Incidentally, almost all of the oil in Iraq is in the far south. The part that's not involved in the most recent fighting.

16-06-2014, 05:01 PM
(16-06-2014 04:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 03:55 PM)bemore Wrote:  What pisses me off is how the mainstream/politicians will portray that action in Iraq will need to be taken for humanitarian reasons.

Pretense, eh?

One can debate what might be a more effective response to a humanitarian crisis. One can even debate whether there should be any response to a humanitarian crisis.

What is rather less productive is to transparently presuppose that of course the stated motive isn't really true in any way, because reasons...

Incidentally, almost all of the oil in Iraq is in the far south. The part that's not involved in the most recent fighting.

And the Oil Fields that are in the north have been taken over by the Kurdish army, after the Iraqi army ditched their uniforms and left. According to Richard Engel who was embedded with the Kurds.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
16-06-2014, 05:12 PM

I am not denying that ISIS are executing people. I am not denying that shit storms are more than likely setting fire to parts of Iraq right now as we speak.

What I am saying is the mainstream media will use the humanitarian issues to garner support for action to be taken, that it is humanitarian reasons that are the pretense to sending your aircraft carrier and cruise missile ships to the Persian Gulf.

It is in my (biased) opinion that the only reason why any action will be taken, will be for the benefit of Americas security interests, not to save lives.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-06-2014, 05:12 PM
(16-06-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 04:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Pretense, eh?

And the Oil Fields that are in the north have been taken over by the Kurdish army, after the Iraqi army ditched their uniforms and left. According to Richard Engel who was embedded with the Kurds.

Also true; there are notable Iraqi fields are on the borders of Kurdistan around Kirkuk (which the Kurds just seized).

(here's a reference)

There is a little bit of oil in the insurgent controlled northwest (and in adjacent Syria), but it's a very small amount.

16-06-2014, 05:19 PM
(16-06-2014 05:12 PM)bemore Wrote:  What I am saying is the mainstream media will use the humanitarian issues to garner support for action to be taken, that it is humanitarian reasons that are the pretense to sending your aircraft carrier and cruise missile ships to the Persian Gulf.

It is in my (biased) opinion that the only reason why any action will be taken, will be for the benefit of Americas security interests, not to save lives.

Sure; but I think that's a fallacious overcorrection.

It's one thing to say that other nations (far from only the United States) are concerned about potential disruption to Iraqi oil production (which is ~4% of gross world production). No one here has in any way denied that.

It's quite another to jam the pendulum to the other end of its arc and say that there is no truth to any espoused humanitarian motive. That's an incredibly bold claim.
(not to mention how it recalls that beloved old syllogism, "America says X, America bad, therefore not-X")

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Could the West end up boming the rebels in Syria? The Germans are coming 13 216 26-03-2014 04:48 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  "Syria rebels demand al-Qaeda group surrender" The Germans are coming 0 150 04-01-2014 08:54 AM
Last Post: The Germans are coming
  Comfort women being sent to service so called radical muslims in Syria. I and I 12 444 08-10-2013 03:56 PM
Last Post: Filox
  Syria-What should be done? bemore 116 2,779 23-09-2013 03:24 AM
Last Post: jimmyus
  WTAF? American Syria Situation. Dark Light 82 1,440 16-09-2013 08:20 PM
Last Post: Dark Light
  MONKEYS CAN'T TALK! GirlyMan 36 1,351 13-06-2013 05:50 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  CIA Weigh stations for shipments of arm and fighters to Syria I and I 0 152 16-05-2013 09:23 AM
Last Post: I and I