So, can we talk about the fiasco in Iraq / Syria ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 05:25 PM
RE: So, can we talk about the fiasco in Iraq / Syria ?
(16-06-2014 05:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  And the Oil Fields that are in the north have been taken over by the Kurdish army, after the Iraqi army ditched their uniforms and left. According to Richard Engel who was embedded with the Kurds.

Also true; there are notable Iraqi fields are on the borders of Kurdistan around Kirkuk (which the Kurds just seized).

(here's a reference)

There is a little bit of oil in the insurgent controlled northwest (and in adjacent Syria), but it's a very small amount.

It is still technically "Northern Iraq" but we might as well update the maps and just call it Kurdistan. Funnily enough if you look at all the humanitarian promises and the we will be hailed as liberators that was true in Kurdistan. The Kurds love us*.

*The Kurds do not actually love us but since we are the first people not to actively try to kill them they like us more than most.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 05:54 PM
(16-06-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  That's an incredibly bold claim.

Well, like I have said I am incredibly biased. Like I see the reason that Qaddafi got took out was not for the sake of Libya, but was to suppress Qaddafi's plans for the African Gold Dinar. That Saddam got took out, not because he was a brutal dictator but that he wanted to exchange his oil for commodities and Euros and not use the dollar.

Maybe its a coincidence that two western backed invasions of middle east countries just so happened to coincide with two leaders who were making huge steps to move away from trading in dollars????

Maybe its a coincidence that atrocities happen all over the world on a daily basis but the only ones that seem to get the attention of the west are the countries with resources???

Like I believe that the worlds economy is fucked, which I raised in non technical terms in my other thread "Generalised view on the economy" which I have had nobody really make a valid arguement against my claims..... but which I think is very important to consider when looking at things happening around the world in today's news.

Just call me a conspiracy theorist and be done with it Drinking Beverage

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-06-2014, 05:56 PM
(16-06-2014 07:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 05:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So... what you're saying, Rev and cjlr, is that when your imaginary war of Saudi Arabia invading Iran for the sole purpose of power projection doesn't happen, I get to say 'I told you so'?

So if this new Iranian caliphate does not emerge we can say I told you so to you?

No because I never disagreed with this sentiment, I said the Saudi's wont invade to stop it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
16-06-2014, 06:15 PM
(16-06-2014 05:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So if this new Iranian caliphate does not emerge we can say I told you so to you?

No because I never disagreed with this sentiment, I said the Saudi's wont invade to stop it.

Where did I say the Saudi's would invade Iran?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-06-2014, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 07:17 PM by cjlr.)
(16-06-2014 05:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  That's an incredibly bold claim.

Well, like I have said I am incredibly biased. Like I see the reason that Qaddafi got took out was not for the sake of Libya, but was to suppress Qaddafi's plans for the African Gold Dinar. That Saddam got took out, not because he was a brutal dictator but that he wanted to exchange his oil for commodities and Euros and not use the dollar.

Maybe its a coincidence that two western backed invasions of middle east countries just so happened to coincide with two leaders who were making huge steps to move away from trading in dollars????

I wonder.

When should I expect the Abrams tanks to roll across the Ambassador bridge, given that all Canadian oil is and always has been sold in Canadian dollars?

Iraq as an OPEC member is bound to dollar-based sales (and Saddam would not risk the serious instability of leaving - Gaddafi on the outside chance, I'd give you); okay, sure, to be overly precise OPEC sets a price in USD and member states may conduct some limited direct sales in other currencies - but only as tied back to the central USD commodity price.

Anyway, Gaddafi's ravings are not by themselves relevant; for that matter, I have yet to see a single remotely compelling source suggesting any actual Libyan plans to create any such currency - "gold dinars" are a modern islamist meme (not Libyan), advocates for which can be found from Morocco to Brunei, most of whom have the influence of a sparrow's fart. And not least of all, such rumours (such vague and insubstantial rumours, which never had any further substance) as relating specifically to Libya predate the 2011 civil war by at least a decade. I realize that it's an article of faith among a certain internet crowd, but then, find me something that isn't. Although while we're at it, Iran has conducted limited non-USD oil sales for 11 years now. Why haven't they been invaded?

I don't find conspiracist false pattern matching compelling. Sure, it's not impossible. So what?

(16-06-2014 05:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  Maybe its a coincidence that atrocities happen all over the world on a daily basis but the only ones that seem to get the attention of the west are the countries with resources???

What, Syria, Ukraine, and Kenya don't count? Like, of the things that I've seen in the news in just the last week?

(16-06-2014 05:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  Like I believe that the worlds economy is fucked, which I raised in non technical terms in my other thread "Generalised view on the economy" which I have had nobody really make a valid arguement against my claims..... but which I think is very important to consider when looking at things happening around the world in today's news.

Having just checked that thread, it's so vague I'm not surprised there were no satisfactory responses. Just what were you asking and expecting?

If you want my five cents (pennies no longer being legal tender), the structural problems of the global economy are both fairly simple and fairly inevitable - the many extremely reliable human cognitive failures more than account for that without some insane conspiracy ladled on top.
(most salient two: the short term is more important than the long term, and the status quo will continue forever)

(16-06-2014 05:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  Just call me a conspiracy theorist and be done with it Drinking Beverage

Done and done.
Wink

... this is my signature!
23-06-2014, 09:52 AM
We should support any Kurdish attempts at succession, more allies in the region is good for us.