So does Anonymous actually have power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 12:23 PM
So does Anonymous actually have power?
It seems like it couldn't possibly be such a powerful group with the lack of solid connection and leadership, yet somehow they've been responsible for some real security issues. What gives?

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2012, 12:32 PM
RE: So does Anonymous actually have power?
As far as my knowledge goes, they haven't done much other than using DDoS attacks on a bunch of websites, making them inaccessible for a few hours.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Its the cyber Boogeyman.

It is open for different agenda in my eyes, some good, some bad.

Do they have power????

Apart from crashing websites and making Time Warner shit loads of money from the sale of every single "guy fawkes anonymous" mask (google it) id say no.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I think they have some power, specially because they are this kind of smoke screen that hides the more capable members and make it harder to find. That also makes them look bigger than they are and that can be useful to shift public opinion.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
15-09-2012, 12:50 PM
It's a pure hive mind.

The more people agree with the idea the more people join, and the more power said ideas gain.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
15-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Good question.
[Image: ifchange.jpg]
Wait... was there a question?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
15-09-2012, 12:54 PM
(15-09-2012 12:54 PM)kim Wrote:  Good question.
[Image: ifchange.jpg]
Wait... was there a question?

isn't graffiti actually illegal? Wink

15-09-2012, 02:01 PM
(15-09-2012 12:39 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I think they have some power, specially because they are this kind of smoke screen that hides the more capable members and make it harder to find. That also makes them look bigger than they are and that can be useful to shift public opinion.

They're basically "freedom fighters" of the web. They're all for opposing internet censorship and anti-piracy drives. They've protested, hacked some websites and targeted some large companies, and that's about it. But when you think of the internet-wide impact they have on the current adolescent+ generations and imageboard on-goers, Anonymous is appealing, that's why Anonymous was very big at one point; they've died down a lot recently. They stirred up a shit load around the time SOPA popped up and Tumblr when CRAZY, and when the Sweden's The Pirate Bay was targeted.
15-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Interesting stuff...I wonder just how big it's ever gotten.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

15-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Is important to understand what anonymous is, is not an organization, is just a bunch of people who got together for a few objectives. With that in mind I see them very like a national society, just a bunch of disorganized people that when someone gets in their way then things blow up with the particularity that they're netizens so they (we?) don't identify with a nation or anything like that, and fight for internet freedom as Ferdinand said, just as a regular society does, and the DDoS attacks are like a street protest, literally clogging the possibility of doing anything until their voices are heard. So their power comes from the same place as any popular movement power comes from