So hard to come out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2011, 12:54 AM
RE: So hard to come out
I live in TX and you can probably guess what it's like. Everyone I work with is either Christian or Jewish... A couple aren't observant of anything, but my boss is very Christian. I've even overheard him talking on the phone and exclaiming about how ridiculous Evolution is Blush That and global warming is a myth and there is no energy crisis (well, it's TX and we have shales...) I've even been asked where I'm going to church (and introduced to someone when I tried to deflect the question without saying I don't go... Which left me with "I'm still undecided"...) I get a very strong sense that coming out would have a negative impact on my career. I doubt I'd get fired, but I would probably be skipped over for promotions...

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 05:42 AM
I can't see what's the big deal? What, you will raise your kids to be religious just because of other people around you? You need to take care of YOUR children the best way you can, that means that if you don't believe in God, you should also explain that fact to your children and don't be afraid what other people will think. Start thinking for yourself and start living your own life, ignore those who will hate you for what you believe/don't believe, they are a racist, ignorant bunch of jerks and you do not need them in your life, nor around your children.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
29-09-2011, 07:59 AM
It is difficult to understand your situation as it is the opposite where I am. But from what I gather from your story is that if you were to make it publicly known that you're an atheist that you community would turn on you which can be devastating as one has to be a very good fighter to deal with that kind of hatred.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
29-09-2011, 02:41 PM
(29-09-2011 05:42 AM)Filox Wrote:  I can't see what's the big deal? What, you will raise your kids to be religious just because of other people around you? You need to take care of YOUR children the best way you can, that means that if you don't believe in God, you should also explain that fact to your children and don't be afraid what other people will think. Start thinking for yourself and start living your own life, ignore those who will hate you for what you believe/don't believe, they are a racist, ignorant bunch of jerks and you do not need them in your life, nor around your children.

If you have children yourself then you can understand the strong need to protect them. I'm not raising them as religious or atheist I'm raising them to think for themselves. But the fact remains that people are cruel to those that threaten their beliefs which can make for a long tough road for a child and don't want to make the the drive any bumpier that it needs to be.
29-09-2011, 03:26 PM

(29-09-2011 02:41 PM)free2011 Wrote:  But the fact remains that people are cruel to those that threaten their beliefs which can make for a long tough road for a child and don't want to make the the drive any bumpier that it needs to be.

I am sure this is no help, but you might consider moving to a saner environment.

We here in Canada have it easy -- not too may people give a damn about what fairy tale you believe in. I am sure there are places like this in the US, too. I am sure, if I had children growing up now, I wold move without hesitation.
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I still list myself as agnostic on Facebook simply because I don't want to deal with people nagging me about it.

It's none of their damn business what my beliefs are, but it sure seems everyone is willing to make it their business.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
29-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Could you not just chalk it up to you playing devil's advocate (snicker snicker) and say your opinions were merrily for debating?
30-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Then just stop writing about this subject on Facebook, it will all go away soon enough. Stop worrying so much and don't try to push your atheism to anyone around you (I'm not saying you are, just making a point), just accept their stories and go along with it, that way you swim with the current, you don't step on anyones toes and you still think what you will, with no one knowing and bothering you. If anyone ever tries to push their believes or nags to you about your beliefs, just call on Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, true American values and liberties, tell them that religious oppression is something that communist countries have, that should silence them... Nobody likes communists in USA and nobody knows anything about communism, so you can use it to make any statement.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson