(So help me god)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2012, 05:45 PM
(So help me god)?
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had ever dealt directly with the "so help me god" phrase usually included at the end of official oaths or sworn statements. I will need to renew an official commission (I'm a Notary Public in Florida) in about 8 months, and I've received several packets of renewal paperwork already with an oath to sign at the bottom to officially renew my commission. Each one ends in "(so help me God)." I don't know what the legal ramifications of putting the statement in parentheses might be, and I wondered if anyone could shed some light here (Florida residents especially, but any info is welcome).

I'd like to just cross out that phrase, but I'd prefer not to get into any odd legal situation that would prevent the commission renewal, as I need it for work.

I'd welcome any input... Thanks!

-Kristin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: (So help me god)?
I,d just sign the papers. If they're happy with you swearing to a god you don't believe in, I say fuck em.

"Hell yes judge, I swear to God, I never even seen a joint up close!"

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-11-2012, 02:38 PM
RE: (So help me god)?
i am with stark.. really just sign it. it feels odd of course, as you don't believe it, and it feels like signing something that says, "so help me Santa" but if it makes them happy who cares. Really. it is your job after all.
Other approach would be to just get legal advice, check what possibilities you have... crossing that out, saying that you won't sign it unless that phrase is gone. But I must say, for me it would be too much of a fuzz. I'd just sign it as is.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user