So... here's another idea people wont like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: So... here's another idea people wont like.
(10-05-2015 07:27 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Wait. Some of you had curfews? Like curfews enforced by the law? You're joking right? I mean I've known kids to have curfews enforced by their parents but by the law? That's fucked man!

I was a hell of lot more afraid of my parents' rules than I ever was anything the cops might catch me for. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-05-2015, 08:27 PM
(10-05-2015 08:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 07:27 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Wait. Some of you had curfews? Like curfews enforced by the law? You're joking right? I mean I've known kids to have curfews enforced by their parents but by the law? That's fucked man!

I was a hell of lot more afraid of my parents' rules than I ever was anything the cops might catch me for. Undecided

My dad had the fastest belt in Indiana. Sadcryface
10-05-2015, 08:28 PM
(10-05-2015 08:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 08:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was a hell of lot more afraid of my parents' rules than I ever was anything the cops might catch me for. Undecided

My dad had the fastest belt in Indiana. Sadcryface

Dad didn't bother with a time-waster like that. He had the fastest fists in Iowa. That's why I really need a nose job.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-05-2015, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately some adults employ an incredibly passive parenting, which often hurts the kids' lives, and the curfew laws are designed to curtail any of that damage as well as prevent crimes.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
11-05-2015, 03:22 AM
I actually have no idea if my town had a curfew or not. I had to be in bed by 9:30 anyway, so it didn't affect me even if we had one. Like Anj, I was way more concerned with what my parents would do to me if I broke their rules than about breaking the law.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
11-05-2015, 07:54 AM
You are right. I don't like it.

Just another nanny state rule. You are treating the symptom not the disease all while adding additional responsibilities upon a police force (I am assuming they would be the enforcers of curfews) that already has too much to do.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
11-05-2015, 08:19 AM
(11-05-2015 07:54 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  You are right. I don't like it.

Just another nanny state rule. You are treating the symptom not the disease all while adding additional responsibilities upon a police force (I am assuming they would be the enforcers of curfews) that already has too much to do.

I agree. If one wants to have a curfew by all means impose it on repeat offenders, pricks who actually break some law like vandalism....etc. Stick an electronic tag on them. I must say I am surprised that such curfews exist in some countries. The only time I experienced a curfew was many years ago, and that was a "war" situation.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
11-05-2015, 08:57 AM
(09-05-2015 07:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It would also allow police to stop youth out late at night before they cause trouble.

One major problem muffs is that even if the law applied to all people, minorities would cry about it being profiling. There were "stop and frisk" laws in some areas (NYC is one I really remember) where a cop could stop and frisk someone if they had suspicion. Guess what happened? They would mainly stop and frisk people who wore gang attire, had tattoos with known gang affiliations, and the sort and what is when Sharpton and Jackson cried racial profiling. Never mind that most of the cases, the cops were stopping people that were broadcasting their affiliation. That is the problem in the US, you can't look under the most probable stones for the vermin, you have to look under all the stones.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Ok everyone acts as though ever major city in the US does not have a curfew for kids under 16 already. They do. The only argument against them I have seen in this thread is "Muh freedoms" which is stupid because there are already a litany of laws specifically for the under 16 crowd, most of which if their parents are doing their jobs they will never come across. Curfew and truancy laws are not really meant for everyone because most kids don't need to be told go to school and don't be on the street at midnight on a school night. The ones that do generally don't have real parents so it is up to the state to be a surrogate. The alternative is to allow them the opportunity to break other more serious laws. Truancy and Curfew laws tend to have low or no penalties and do not result in criminal records so tell me how it is better to let a directionless kid that fell in with a bad group fuck up their life.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
(11-05-2015 10:04 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ok everyone acts as though ever major city in the US does not have a curfew for kids under 16 already. They do. The only argument against them I have seen in this thread is "Muh freedoms" which is stupid because there are already a litany of laws specifically for the under 16 crowd, most of which if their parents are doing their jobs they will never come across. Curfew and truancy laws are not really meant for everyone because most kids don't need to be told go to school and don't be on the street at midnight on a school night. The ones that do generally don't have real parents so it is up to the state to be a surrogate. The alternative is to allow them the opportunity to break other more serious laws. Truancy and Curfew laws tend to have low or no penalties and do not result in criminal records so tell me how it is better to let a directionless kid that fell in with a bad group fuck up their life.

My argument is entirely not for freedoms. It's a matter about the ways you alter societal systems and perceptions of people by actions and forces.

It's a matter of saying, sure it may solve these issues short term in ways, but is it helping or hurting long term sociological problems that cause these kids being out in dangerous situations at late night. Laws being implemented and kept ought to be based on far wider ranges of impact judging.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson