So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 08:14 PM
So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?
I need some education here, my friends. As a life long non believer and un-schooled in religious dogma (thank you Mom and Dad) I've come to understand that, according to christians, god is everywhere. I'm talkin' everywhere..........under each leaf and twig, inside each cell and on the other side of the universe too. So with that in mind logically god would also be in hell too. Now I know logic has zero to do with religion but how do religious folks explain this. Is god not in hell but is everywhere else? Does he choose not to be in hell as punishment for those sent there or something? How can god be everywhere but not everywhere? Does god go to hell to check up on things or is god banned from hell because Satan has more power there? Is Satan in hell? Educate me, oh former christians.

I mean, what the hell's going' on here?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-06-2013, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 08:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?
(27-06-2013 08:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I need some education here, my friends. As a life long non believer and un-schooled in religious dogma (thank you Mom and Dad) I've come to understand that, according to christians, god is everywhere. I'm talkin' everywhere..........under each leaf and twig, inside each cell and on the other side of the universe too. So with that in mind logically god would also be in hell too. Now I know logic has zero to do with religion but how do religious folks explain this. Is god not in hell but is everywhere else? Does he choose not to be in hell as punishment for those sent there or something? How can god be everywhere but not everywhere? Does god go to hell to check up on things or is god banned from hell because Satan has more power there? Is Satan in hell? Educate me, oh former christians.

He has a condo there, but he rents it out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2013, 08:32 PM
from my limited knowledge in christianity (also thanks mom & dad), I think hell is the one place god isn't. because satan is there. apparently satan got hell in the divorce.

i'm not up on the whole god/satan story.

sorry.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I found this by some whacko:
Quote: God rules over everything. INCLUDING Satan and Hell. When God judges and sends someone to Hell, he's not giving that person to Satan, who is a king of another type of universe. Satan is just another one of his workers -- an evil angel that is fallen. When Satan tempts us, He does it with God's knowledge. It's a test of our faith.

another person said that you can only escape hell if you repent while you are still on earth, because after you die you lose the chance and its judgement day.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
27-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Being omniscient, I have always contended that god not only experiences hell daily, but he experiences EVERYONE's hell who hath ever been sent to hell by him. So even if he's not in hell, he's experiencing it on the daily.

And though I don't believe in a god, it gives me comfort to think that if there is one, he's in a hell of a lot of pain and well deserved pain at that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
27-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Kind of off topic, but had me thinking about the properties of Hell.

One of those urban legend chain emails that went around when I was in school and taking thermodynamics:

Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

A thermodynamics professor had written a take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question: Is hell exothermic (giving off heat) or endothermic (taking in or absorbing heat)? Support your answer with a proof.
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

A1: So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
A2: Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Therese Banyan during Freshman year, that "it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then A2 cannot be true, and hell is exothermic.

The student got the only A.
[+] 7 users Like BryanS's post
27-06-2013, 09:16 PM
@BryanS
nice. I think i read it once elsewhere,but still nice

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
27-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Man, some of the arguments they use to explain that one away... Big Grin

Story time. Big Grin

So I'm a prophet, I got some shit figured out, now I gotta go "in the field" and put "the science to my philosophy." Which translates into, going to church; in Phoenix, Arizona, that further translates into going to Christian church.

I was "theist" at the time, but despised Christianity, and hell was a prime factor in that assessment. At the same time, I assumed I was working under divine mandate, thinking I had a job to do. So I scoured the Bible and crafted my own sect of Christianity called Pauline Israelite, just so I could go to church with my integrity intact.

What does it mean, to be born again? To be baptized in spirit. Accepting Holy Spirit means eternal life is now. And what the one who accepted Holy Spirit cannot do, is give credence to evil. Therefore, being born again means hell cannot exist.

Which simplifies thusly: in the modern context, "hell" comes solely from the mouths and minds of Christians, and can only be received in the ears and minds of the unbeliever.

Tricky fucks, huh?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2013, 10:12 PM
(27-06-2013 08:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I need some education here, my friends. As a life long non believer and un-schooled in religious dogma (thank you Mom and Dad) I've come to understand that, according to christians, god is everywhere. I'm talkin' everywhere..........under each leaf and twig, inside each cell and on the other side of the universe too. So with that in mind logically god would also be in hell too. Now I know logic has zero to do with religion but how do religious folks explain this. Is god not in hell but is everywhere else? Does he choose not to be in hell as punishment for those sent there or something? How can god be everywhere but not everywhere? Does god go to hell to check up on things or is god banned from hell because Satan has more power there? Is Satan in hell? Educate me, oh former christians.

Going on the theology... Psalm 139 says very clearly that God is present in hell. Any further explanation of the doctrine of hell in my experience depends on which denomination or sub-group of denomination or revelation you want to adhere to...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm with Cantor, but the way I always understood it is that hell is separation from god. Be it fire and brimstone, your worst nightmare, or simply nothingness forever. God is love and goodness, and you will experience neither for eternity. That is hell.

But considering all of the love and goodness he/she's shown mankind for the first half of our journey......

fuck that nonsense.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco