So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?
(28-06-2013 07:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 07:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  So then what is hell?

All anthropomorphized bs.
Would have to be a "state of being", apart from or "other than" this universe, not a "place". Therefore all "location" references, (space), and temporal references (time, ie "going to") are tossed out. Good luck with what remains.

Interesting answers. It seem as though the concept of hell has changed through time as Clydelee wrote Paradise Lost has influenced our concept of hell maybe even more than the bible. But for the average church goer the question is if god created all things did this deity create hell too, even if it is a state of spiritual loss? He must have created Satan too. If god didn't create hell then there are limitations to his/her existence and power and therefore god isn't much of a god. Kind of a second rate demi-god. More like a Greek god with boundaries.

I'm amazed at the power this place has had on Western culture. It's sick.

(0_0)

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 11:31 AM
(28-06-2013 10:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm amazed at the power this place has had on Western culture. It's sick.

Or not.

Look at this place. Atheist. The simplest measure of what you are, is what you are not. The simplest measure of what we are, is that we are a-theist. Remove theism, and we are not rapists. Not murderers, not thieves. Continue to remove the simplest measures of what we are not to begin to reveal what we are. Intelligent, or male, or young... until I can be no less than I love my Gwynnies, and we have nothing to say.

Rather than right or wrong, I consider morality to be derived chemical intelligence from when a protozoa decided, left or right. Forward or back. Writing the choice of time upon the parchment of space.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-06-2013, 12:40 PM
(28-06-2013 11:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 10:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm amazed at the power this place has had on Western culture. It's sick.

Or not.

Look at this place. Atheist. The simplest measure of what you are, is what you are not. The simplest measure of what we are, is that we are a-theist. Remove theism, and we are not rapists. Not murderers, not thieves. Continue to remove the simplest measures of what we are not to begin to reveal what we are. Intelligent, or male, or young... until I can be no less than I love my Gwynnies, and we have nothing to say.

Rather than right or wrong, I consider morality to be derived chemical intelligence from when a protozoa decided, left or right. Forward or back. Writing the choice of time upon the parchment of space.

True, oh so true. Perhaps morality did derive from protozoa but I also think morality came from plain old logic and common sense. But anyway, one doesn't need the threat of hell to be a decent person but unfortunately in our culture most people don't feel that way. If we atheists could only convince theists of this.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
29-06-2013, 07:02 AM
He certainly deserves to be after all the shit He's pulled on us.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-06-2013, 08:49 PM
So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?
Well, the god of the Pentateuch could not possibly be in hell. What Christians refer to as the Old Testament has no hell. See the Wikipedia article here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol. The unknown authors who created the Gospels laid the burden of creating hell on Jesus. It amazes me that Christians think that he is such a wonderful guy; Jesus was the jerk who created the lake of fire. With that kind of love for humanity I imagine that he enjoys shoveling coal into the furnace.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2013, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2013 11:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-06-2013 07:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 07:23 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  So you're saying there is no possible separation from god? (not considering annihilation)

Depends on how you look at it.

God can never be separated from us, but we can be separated from Him. The non-elect are separated from him ie they can never be "of God"; however, they are still in the presence of God.

So then, as you see, it's all in the preposition. "In's", and "of's" and "from's".
I've heard of Propositionalism. Now I've heard of Prepositionalism.
I s'pose they're called preppies.
Now all becomes clear. I finally get it. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
What about angels? Weren't they created before light! Weren't they in heaven, but some were kicked out? If you get to heaven, you're still not safe! God might get bored of you and kick you out!
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
(28-06-2013 11:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm amazed at the power this place has had on Western culture. It's sick.

Or not, HouseCounter !! Tongue LMAO

(01-07-2013 12:09 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  What about angels? Weren't they created before light! Weren't they in heaven, but some were kicked out? If you get to heaven, you're still not safe! God might get bored of you and kick you out!

You prolly need a little ra'fresher on yer angels.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...st?page=2. Scroll down to #15.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Hell? I'm not worried if he's in hell.

I'm more concerned about whether he's in my pants Unsure

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Catechism taught me that hell was separation from god. Eternal nothing...no hell per se, no endless torture.

Baptists taught me that hell was a real place with endless suffering, pain and torture reserved for anyone who didn't believe in jebus.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon