So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: So if God is everywhere, is he in hell too?
(01-07-2013 12:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Catechism taught me that hell was separation from god. Eternal nothing...no hell per se, no endless torture.

Baptists taught me that hell was a real place with endless suffering, pain and torture reserved for anyone who didn't believe in jebus.

So is purgatory somewhere between heaven and hell? How and why would one go to purgatory and does god sorta hang out in purgatory? My mother was Catholic but never went to church as an adult. She used to talk about purgatory but I never was interested enough to ask anything more about it and she wasn't eager to discuss it.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM

(27-06-2013 08:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I need some education here, my friends. As a life long non believer and un-schooled in religious dogma (thank you Mom and Dad) I've come to understand that, according to christians, god is everywhere. I'm talkin' everywhere..........under each leaf and twig, inside each cell and on the other side of the universe too. So with that in mind logically god would also be in hell too. Now I know logic has zero to do with religion but how do religious folks explain this. Is god not in hell but is everywhere else? Does he choose not to be in hell as punishment for those sent there or something? How can god be everywhere but not everywhere? Does god go to hell to check up on things or is god banned from hell because Satan has more power there? Is Satan in hell? Educate me, oh former christians.

I mean, what the hell's going' on here?

The idea of God being omnipresent is a theological rather than scriptural interpretation. It doesn't hold up to the Bible, because God can not only be seen to have been in specific places he can also seen to have been absent from specific places at specific times. More importantly he is said to have a fixed place in heaven. The truth is that God can be anywhere he wants any time, but he can't be everywhere all the time.

And God is, in effect, in hell. Keeping in mind that hell is a pagan rather than scriptural teaching as well.

Amos 9:1-2 (NWT) I saw Jehovah stationed above the altar, and he proceeded to say: “Strike the pillar head, so that the thresholds will rock. And cut them off at the head, all of them. And the last part of them I shall kill with the sword itself. No one fleeing of them will make good his flight, and no one escaping of them will make his getaway. If they dig down into Sheol (often mistranslated hell), from there my own hand will take them; and if they go up to the heavens, from there I shall bring them down.

Amos 9:2 (KJV) Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:

Psalm 139:8 (NWT) If I should ascend to heaven, there you would be;
And if I should spread out my couch in She′ol, look! you [would be there].

Psalm 139:8 (KJV) If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

What these verses imply, in my opinion, is that God wathces over sheol, the grave, in the sense that he remembers us for possible resurrection.
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 08:27 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(01-07-2013 05:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 12:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Catechism taught me that hell was separation from god. Eternal nothing...no hell per se, no endless torture.

Baptists taught me that hell was a real place with endless suffering, pain and torture reserved for anyone who didn't believe in jebus.

So is purgatory somewhere between heaven and hell? How and why would one go to purgatory and does god sorta hang out in purgatory? My mother was Catholic but never went to church as an adult. She used to talk about purgatory but I never was interested enough to ask anything more about it and she wasn't eager to discuss it.

Purgatory is complicated. I was taught that everyone except saints went to purgatory. There they waited until the second coming. The exception at the time was young children who were baptized if they died before their first communion. You could pray to speed up the process, possibly by asking the Virgin Mary or the saints to intercede (not really interceding but you ask them to pray for your loved one -- the idea being they have god and the son's ear).

Unbaptized babies went to purgatory.

Later it was changed. All young children baptized or not, go straight to heaven. They also say many people go straight to heaven instead of purgatory. People who might be questionable go to purgatory where they wait for the second coming to be judged.

Also some fundies believe, not in purgatory, but believe people stay in the ground until the second coming...

Which is why they're against cremation

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
(27-06-2013 08:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I need some education here, my friends. As a life long non believer and un-schooled in religious dogma (thank you Mom and Dad) I've come to understand that, according to christians, god is everywhere. I'm talkin' everywhere..........under each leaf and twig, inside each cell and on the other side of the universe too. So with that in mind logically god would also be in hell too. Now I know logic has zero to do with religion but how do religious folks explain this. Is god not in hell but is everywhere else? Does he choose not to be in hell as punishment for those sent there or something? How can god be everywhere but not everywhere? Does god go to hell to check up on things or is god banned from hell because Satan has more power there? Is Satan in hell? Educate me, oh former christians.

I mean, what the hell's going' on here?

Actually yes. Psalm 139:8

"If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there."

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade