So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 03:09 PM
So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake
So why do people think the scriptures is reliable again?
Wow.... even in islam this is written someplace i think. But i just dont remember

Isaiah 40:22
God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him! He spreads out the heavens like a curtain and makes his tent from them.

Job 38:14
The earth takes shape like clay under a seal; its features stand out like those of a garment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake
(15-09-2014 03:09 PM)ZeroX3 Wrote:  So why do people think the scriptures is reliable again?
Wow.... even in islam this is written someplace i think. But i just dont remember

Isaiah 40:22
God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him! He spreads out the heavens like a curtain and makes his tent from them.

Job 38:14
The earth takes shape like clay under a seal; its features stand out like those of a garment.

There are a lot of references for flat earth in the bible, here are a few of my notes:

The phrase of Isaiah 40:22, "the circle of the earth" is very controversial. The word "circle" means "sphere" indicating that the earth is a sphere. This view seems most unlikely since we have all ready seen that the Hebrew word gh means "circle," and it seems very remote that it means "sphere" because of the context, and there is a better Hebrew word for "sphere," rwd. In Isaiah 22:18 the word rwd is translated "ball." If the LXX translators understood gh as "sphere," they would have used the Greek word sfairoeides. Plugging the meaning of "sphere" into every passage that gh occurs will result in awkward interpretations.

Another interpretation is that the earth is a round flat disk. Although the ancient world thought the earth was round and flat, this phrase seems to refer to the shape the vaulted heavens above the earth from which the inhabitants look like grasshoppers.

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

corners? no no, sry it is a round sphere....ah, guess the lord and creator wasnt aware of that.

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)

Astronomical bodies are spherical, and you cannot see the entire exterior surface from any place. The kingdoms of Egypt, China, Greece, Crete, sections of Asia Minor, India, Maya (in Mexico), Carthage (North Africa), Rome (Italy), Korea, and other settlements from these kingdoms of the world were widely distributed.

Job 11:9
The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.

Job 28:24
For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven;

Job 37:3
He directeth it under the whole heaven, and his lightning unto the ends of the earth.

Job 38:4-6
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Job 38:13
That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Jeremiah 16:19
O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit.

Daniel 4:11
The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Well if it says its round like a cd plate. Or a square as a table...

Wow... its obviously formed as a square of a table. I mean it is the latest verse, the jews were obviously lying Tongue

God sits above the circle of the earth.

And even God himself is above the sky. Just too bad he is invisible the last time i took a plane, too bad they didn't have planes in the middle ages. If this doesn't disprove religion then nothing will Smile
15-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Obviously the earth being flat as a pancake was a metaphor...
You cannot take every little thing in the bible literally you silly atheist you.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-09-2014, 09:43 PM
You can't prove it is not flat so flat it must be! I don't have to listen. I have my bible. I win.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
15-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Clearly God made the earth spherical, long after the bible was written, so that Christopher Columbus could discover America. God wanted America to be discovered so Joseph Smith could find the golden plates. Had God allowed the earth to remain fiat, which it undoubtedly was prior to Christopher Columbus, then there would have been no Mormons.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
15-09-2014, 09:51 PM
(15-09-2014 09:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Clearly God made the earth spherical, long after the bible was written, so that Christopher Columbus could discover America. God wanted America to be discovered so Joseph Smith could find the golden plates. Had God allowed the earth to remain fiat, which it undoubtedly was prior to Christopher Columbus, then there would have been no Mormons.

That really wraps it up rather nicely. Thanks. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2014, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 04:04 AM by ZeroX3.)
(15-09-2014 09:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Obviously the earth being flat as a pancake was a metaphor...
You cannot take every little thing in the bible literally you silly atheist you.

If a christian said that to me, then i would said everything in the bible is metaphoric and a fairytale.

If God manages to pick dumb prophets who have no idea what the shape of the earth is, then God surely is not as all knowing as the religious claim him to be Tongue

But i seriously wish they could teach the history of Israel through archaeological finding. Like if this was documented, and taught in school as history. Instead of blending it with religion, then people would obviously say the bible is just a story telling book.

I hope one day that the history of Israel would be told like this without religion ^^

16-09-2014, 05:49 AM
(15-09-2014 09:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Obviously the earth being flat as a pancake was a metaphor...

Bwahaha! Hobo

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
16-09-2014, 06:03 AM
(15-09-2014 03:48 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The phrase of Isaiah 40:22, "the circle of the earth" is very controversial. The word "circle" means "sphere" indicating that the earth is a sphere. This view seems most unlikely since we have all ready seen that the Hebrew word gh means "circle," and it seems very remote that it means "sphere" because of the context, and there is a better Hebrew word for "sphere," rwd. In Isaiah 22:18 the word rwd is translated "ball."

I know someone who is a Jehovah's Witness and she goes on about how scientific the Bible is, and this is her go-to passage. I'd heard that the word used could mean circle or sphere, and I told her the passage was ambiguous. I didn't know there was a separate, better word for sphere that wasn't used. I don't want to start the conversation up with her, again, but I'll have to remember that if she brings it up again.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post