So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake
(17-09-2014 09:13 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The ancient Greeks knew the earth was round roughly 1700 years before Columbus, and even calculated its approximate size. But then we had the Dark Ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

In premodern times, most people wouldn't have known otherwise, but the literate and educated never "forgot" that the Earth was round.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2014, 09:45 AM
(16-09-2014 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Speaking in the third person? How charmingly arrogant. Consider
Taken from his profile:

"I am from an extra-dimensional plane of existence inhabited by a race of beings known as the Q. As a race, the Q are immortal, but not absolutely omniscient or omnipotent, just possessing the ability of instantaneous matter-energy transformation and teleportation, as well as the ability of time travel. Our abilities include moving entire asteroid belts and stars, creating alternate timelines, and affecting universal states of nature such as the gravitational constant. And that ain't hay."

Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(17-09-2014 09:45 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Speaking in the third person? How charmingly arrogant. Consider
Taken from his profile:

"I am from an extra-dimensional plane of existence inhabited by a race of beings known as the Q. As a race, the Q are immortal, but not absolutely omniscient or omnipotent, just possessing the ability of instantaneous matter-energy transformation and teleportation, as well as the ability of time travel. Our abilities include moving entire asteroid belts and stars, creating alternate timelines, and affecting universal states of nature such as the gravitational constant. And that ain't hay."

Laugh out load

Oooooh - arrogant and batshit crazy. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 10:43 AM
(16-09-2014 03:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 01:06 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The Q asked what hermeneutics you employed as you gave no exegesis, context, original language references, etymological cognates, etc. The Q have noted there was no determining of literary allusions or patterns by the "interpreter". The one "interpretation" you offered translates Isaiah as "ball" not "sphere", yet saying the Earth is a "ball" is saying it is a three-dimensional shape other than flat, is it not?

Blink

yeeeeeeah sorry bub, I have no desire to enter word salad games with you. Full time active duty military officer, fitness geek, full time college student working on my 4th degree, wife and 4 kids....so if you have a solid point refuting my posit, bring it, if you have supportive information bring it, if you believe the world is flat......nothing I can do for you on that, if you want to get into semantics or play quote the philosopher, not worth my time to be honest. Even as hyper as I am, I only do a drive by on the forum when i can. You would have gotten along great with our last troll jeremy, he loved word salad and circular reasoning of applying semantics to logic...but sadly he got banhammered. Perhaps one of our other fine members who perhaps has more time to devote to your musings can entertain you.

If you were a Christian and I visited your forum to say, "The Bible says, 'There is no God...'", something it indeed says, and also, "Kindly provide supporting evidence refuting my point, not that I have time to address that evidence, because I can only drive by this forum," how might you respond?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-09-2014, 11:00 AM
(17-09-2014 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 03:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Blink

yeeeeeeah sorry bub, I have no desire to enter word salad games with you. Full time active duty military officer, fitness geek, full time college student working on my 4th degree, wife and 4 kids....so if you have a solid point refuting my posit, bring it, if you have supportive information bring it, if you believe the world is flat......nothing I can do for you on that, if you want to get into semantics or play quote the philosopher, not worth my time to be honest. Even as hyper as I am, I only do a drive by on the forum when i can. You would have gotten along great with our last troll jeremy, he loved word salad and circular reasoning of applying semantics to logic...but sadly he got banhammered. Perhaps one of our other fine members who perhaps has more time to devote to your musings can entertain you.

If you were a Christian and I visited your forum to say, "The Bible says, 'There is no God...'", something it indeed says, and also, "Kindly provide supporting evidence refuting my point, not that I have time to address that evidence, because I can only drive by this forum," how might you respond?

You have yet to provide your plausible alternatives. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2014, 01:30 PM
(17-09-2014 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 03:32 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Blink

I would entertain lengthy debate and intellectual discourse with those who don't present themselves as from an "extra-dimensional plane of existence inhabited by a race of beings known as the Q". Either you are a bored pseudo intellectual troll, or are unable or unwilling to enter a discussion. As such, I wave you off. I have posted many papers on here, and engaged in many lengthy debates, and enjoy doing so. But playing word salad with people who want to play peek a boo games isn't worthy of my time. Come on back with a serious posit, position, or perspective... or sit back and read mine quietly. Yes

Perhaps you are trying to be funny with your bio, and I appreciate humor, or perhaps you were trying to be funny by talking about yourself from a narrative perspective, again, I appreciate humor, but lack the patience to see where you wish to go around the bush you are circling.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-09-2014, 01:34 PM
(17-09-2014 11:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If you were a Christian and I visited your forum to say, "The Bible says, 'There is no God...'", something it indeed says, and also, "Kindly provide supporting evidence refuting my point, not that I have time to address that evidence, because I can only drive by this forum," how might you respond?

You have yet to provide your plausible alternatives. Drinking Beverage

Will you likewise provide plausible alternatives to my assertion that the Bible plainly teaches, and I quote, "There is no God..."? The Q wonder if you have yet examined Galatians 2:9, our "plausible response" to Job 9:6?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-09-2014, 01:40 PM
(17-09-2014 01:30 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If you were a Christian and I visited your forum to say, "The Bible says, 'There is no God...'", something it indeed says, and also, "Kindly provide supporting evidence refuting my point, not that I have time to address that evidence, because I can only drive by this forum," how might you respond?

I would entertain lengthy debate and intellectual discourse with those who don't present themselves as from an "extra-dimensional plane of existence inhabited by a race of beings known as the Q". Either you are a bored pseudo intellectual troll, or are unable or unwilling to enter a discussion. As such, I wave you off. I have posted many papers on here, and engaged in many lengthy debates, and enjoy doing so. But playing word salad with people who want to play peek a boo games isn't worthy of my time. Come on back with a serious posit, position, or perspective... or sit back and read mine quietly. Yes

Perhaps you are trying to be funny with your bio, and I appreciate humor, or perhaps you were trying to be funny by talking about yourself from a narrative perspective, again, I appreciate humor, but lack the patience to see where you wish to go around the bush you are circling.

Do you think that if I presented my position about the Earth being "round" in the Bible, I would tell university faculty, "My half-dozen verse fragments conclude my case"? And have you compared the Job and Galatians verses I suggested? What do you conclude from examining those two verses in context?

17-09-2014, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014 01:51 PM by Chas.)
(17-09-2014 01:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 11:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have yet to provide your plausible alternatives. Drinking Beverage

Will you likewise provide plausible alternatives to my assertion that the Bible plainly teaches, and I quote, "There is no God..."? The Q wonder if you have yet examined Galatians 2:9, our "plausible response" to Job 9:6?

Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

Its connotation is clearly different. You can tell by the context.

Entirely different authors from entirely different times, Old Testament vs. New Testament. Your hermeneutics are down around your knees and are tripping you up.

So, no, you have not presented anything plausible, nor a citation for "There is no God..."

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 01:48 PM
(17-09-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Will you likewise provide plausible alternatives to my assertion that the Bible plainly teaches, and I quote, "There is no God..."? The Q wonder if you have yet examined Galatians 2:9, our "plausible response" to Job 9:6?

Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

Its connotation is clearly different. You can tell by the context.

So, no, you have not presented anything plausible, nor a citation for "There is no God..."

beat me to it.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)