So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 03:31 PM
RE: So if scriptures teaches that the earth is flat as a pancake
(17-09-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Will you likewise provide plausible alternatives to my assertion that the Bible plainly teaches, and I quote, "There is no God..."? The Q wonder if you have yet examined Galatians 2:9, our "plausible response" to Job 9:6?

Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

Its connotation is clearly different. You can tell by the context.

Entirely different authors from entirely different times, Old Testament vs. New Testament. Your hermeneutics are down around your knees and are tripping you up.

So, no, you have not presented anything plausible, nor a citation for "There is no God..."

The Bible actually does say "There is no God", but not as a truth claim. At least two of the Psalms (sorry, I'm at work and don't have a Bible handy to look up which ones) contain the line The fool has said in his heart "There is no God", but this is a rhetorical device used to claim exactly the opposite. I am not aware of the Bible ever actually claiming that there is no God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-09-2014, 06:22 AM
(16-09-2014 02:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Naturally the same holds true for literally every verse ever held up as "scientific". A revelation which is only ever apparent in retrospect is no revelation at all, and the sort of "divine inspiration" leading to it is completely indistinguishable from desperate post-hoc anomaly hunting confirmation bias.

That, and the predictions never seem to be useful. So, apologists will try to convince me that the Bible talks about astronomy way before people could have understood it, therefore God. This always makes me wonder why he didn't teach them about other aspects of science that would actually improve, or even save lives?

I brought this up to the Jehovah's Witness who busted out the Job passage. Her response was that the Bible has all sorts of ways to avoid disease, like not eating certain animals, burying waste outside of the camp, and staying away from lepers. My response was that all of those things could have been found out through trial-and-error, there is no explanation of how they work, and there is no explanation of how to fix the problem. They just avoid the problem.

Lo and behold, we use our own powers of observation, find out the cause, and actually fix these problems. What have you done for me lately, YHWH?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-09-2014, 09:23 AM
(17-09-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Will you likewise provide plausible alternatives to my assertion that the Bible plainly teaches, and I quote, "There is no God..."? The Q wonder if you have yet examined Galatians 2:9, our "plausible response" to Job 9:6?

Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

Entirely different authors from entirely different times, Old Testament vs. New Testament. Your hermeneutics are down around your knees and are tripping you up.

So, no, you have not presented anything plausible, nor a citation for "There is no God..."

So then, your hermeneutics (and goodwithoutgod's) informs you that the language is figurative in the NT and factual in the OT based on context? Are you going to say that the OT is a book of facts, then? I find poetry and religious statements in the Bible, do you find it to be like our modern textbooks?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2014, 09:23 AM
(17-09-2014 01:48 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

beat me to it.

Should I be surprised that neither of you know the two instances where the Bible plainly states, "There is no god"?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
18-09-2014, 09:48 AM
(18-09-2014 09:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, I have compared them. The only thing they have in common is the word 'pillars'.

So then, your hermeneutics (and goodwithoutgod's) informs you that the language is figurative in the NT and factual in the OT based on context? Are you going to say that the OT is a book of facts, then? I find poetry and religious statements in the Bible, do you find it to be like our modern textbooks?

That is a disingenuous misstatement of what I said.

Try again.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-09-2014, 09:49 AM
(17-09-2014 01:48 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  beat me to it.

Should I be surprised that neither of you know the two instances where the Bible plainly states, "There is no god"?

Have fun with your masturbatory non-arguments. Drinking Beverage

18-09-2014, 09:55 AM

The Bible is a book of political infighting. Not much else.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. Psalm 14, verse 1.
Irrelevant, as is this Q.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-09-2014, 10:14 AM
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
18-09-2014, 01:45 PM
(18-09-2014 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So then, your hermeneutics (and goodwithoutgod's) informs you that the language is figurative in the NT and factual in the OT based on context? Are you going to say that the OT is a book of facts, then? I find poetry and religious statements in the Bible, do you find it to be like our modern textbooks?

That is a disingenuous misstatement of what I said.

Try again.

You are claiming one statement is figurative and one statement is fact, right? On what basis do you pick and choose? If I say, "What a beautiful sunrise I saw today as the sun came over the horizon," would you accuse me of not understanding the facts of celestial orbits?

18-09-2014, 02:02 PM
(18-09-2014 01:45 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is a disingenuous misstatement of what I said.

Try again.

You are claiming one statement is figurative and one statement is fact, right? On what basis do you pick and choose? If I say, "What a beautiful sunrise I saw today as the sun came over the horizon," would you accuse me of not understanding the facts of celestial orbits?

That is not what I am claiming.

I am claiming one is literal, the other is metaphor and that it is obvious from the context. People are not pillars and people do not hold up the earth.

When one believes something to be fact and writes that down, that is literal. Doesn't make it true.