Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 12:33 PM by whateverist.)
So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
So this came up over at atheistforums.org and I wondered if most people here are or are perceived to be politically progressive. While we have a few conservatives we are by far more progressive. There is also a perception that conservatives must keep their heads low about it. I think they feel somewhat oppressed there. Think I'll have to construct a poll to check the climate here.

This definition came up on a google search, presumably from wikipedia: Conservatism is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. ... Thus conservatives from different parts of the world—each upholding their respective traditions—may disagree on a wide range of issues.

I think of conservatism generally as seeking to preserve the status quo, especially where the distribution of wealth is concerned. By contrast progressives & liberals wish to improve on it, usually out of concern for social justice. In the US at least, the conservative party (repubs) are also predominantly conservative socially and are known for resisting change involving family structure and gender role norms. In the past at least, they were resistant to addressing disparities in civil rights as well as income inequality.

Here I am treating the conservative/progressive question as binary, with everyone being predominantly one or the other. (There are probably issues with that.) I guess the questions which interest me most about this are:

1) Do you identify as more progressive?

2) Do you think most people on this site are politically more progressive?

& 3) Do you think there is a climate that makes being openly conservative uncomfortable here?

This will call for eight permutations in response. (If you don't like wading through all the verbiage, the answers responses which follow can be thought of as answering yes (Y) or no (N) to the three questions in that order.)
A) Y, Y, Y
B) Y, Y, N
C) Y, N, N
D) Y, N, Y
E) N, Y, Y
F) N, Y, N
G) N, N, Y
H) N, N, N

A) I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
B) I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
C) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
D) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
E) I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
F) I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
G) I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
H) I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2017, 11:51 AM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
I couldn't vote in your poll, because I identify as a centrist, cherry-picking those positions I like from all parties.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-06-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
I am conservative. Most here are progressive liberals.

I am not afraid to post my political views, even though many here can be quite abrasive, some downright abusive with name calling and personal attacks.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
29-06-2017, 11:59 AM
I identify as a rationalist, I tend to lean more liberal/progressive (depending on the topic I can lean a lot towards liberal ideas) however I do not think conservatives are always wrong about everything, nor do I think they are evil, nor am I afraid to hear their thoughts or opinions.

I do think that often in any more liberal/progressive dominated sphere conservatives likely feel somewhat apprehensive in sharing their feelings, thoughts and opinions. And I think that apprehension is well justified, there are some on the progressive side that actively seek to demonize everything conservative. And there are some conservatives that actively engage in the demonetization of all progressive/liberal ideas. I look to that level of bullying as an indicator of a true extremist. I don't think this is wise often both perspectives have some valid points, and even if one side is ultimately wrong, their valid concerns should never be discounted simply to hold to some ideological line.

So for my part I don't and won't simply blindly attack anyone because they disagree with me, I will be very... brutal in calling out bullshit in anyone if I see it, even if I generally agree with them (It's worse when someone I agree with makes a bad argument as it undermines the position, so of course I'm going to point it out).

I stand firmly against solid ideological positioning, people who mix up their personal identity with an ideology stop thinking for themselves. In cases like this political ideologies can in effect become the same as a religious ideology.

Your poll didn't quite fit my position well enough, so I thought I'd answer you here if that's alright.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
29-06-2017, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 12:15 PM by DLJ.)
I find this a very complex issue. Though I am very progressive politically, I have friends I admire who are conservative and I live in a city that is highly identified with being liberal/progressive. It has been a struggle for me to get some perspective on my own perspective as it were. Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory has helped.

The Five Foundations Wrote:Care: cherishing and protecting others; opposite of harm.
Fairness or proportionality: rendering justice according to shared rules; opposite of cheating.
Loyalty or ingroup: standing with your group, family, nation; opposite of betrayal.
Authority or respect: submitting to tradition and legitimate authority; opposite of subversion.
Sanctity or purity: abhorrence for disgusting things, foods, actions; opposite of degradation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_foundations_theory

So, it seems to me, that a conservative just is moved more by the last three foundations while progressive's motives seem bound up mostly in the first two. That seems right to me.

So this question interests me because I think our forums would be better off to welcome both perspectives and encourage each to elucidate their views as much as possible. That might help me to arrive at a more balanced view.

[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
29-06-2017, 12:04 PM
What about depressive?

I guess we'll just have to see if the world is burning to the ground and how far we've come...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
29-06-2017, 12:05 PM
(29-06-2017 12:04 PM)Vera Wrote:  What about depressive?

I guess we'll just have to see if the world is burning to the ground and how far we've come...

Nice song, thanks Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
29-06-2017, 12:07 PM
(29-06-2017 11:59 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I identify as a rationalist, I tend to lean more liberal/progressive (depending on the topic I can lean a lot towards liberal ideas) however I do not think conservatives are always wrong about everything, nor do I think they are evil, nor am I afraid to hear their thoughts or opinions.

I do think that often in any more liberal/progressive dominated sphere conservatives likely feel somewhat apprehensive in sharing their feelings, thoughts and opinions. And I think that apprehension is well justified, there are some on the progressive side that actively seek to demonize everything conservative. And there are some conservatives that actively engage in the demonetization of all progressive/liberal ideas. I look to that level of bullying as an indicator of a true extremist. I don't think this is wise often both perspectives have some valid points, and even if one side is ultimately wrong, their valid concerns should never be discounted simply to hold to some ideological line.

So for my part I don't and won't simply blindly attack anyone because they disagree with me, I will be very... brutal in calling out bullshit in anyone if I see it, even if I generally agree with them (It's worse when someone I agree with makes a bad argument as it undermines the position, so of course I'm going to point it out).

I stand firmly against solid ideological positioning, people who mix up their personal identity with an ideology stop thinking for themselves. In cases like this political ideologies can in effect become the same as a religious ideology.

Your poll didn't quite fit my position well enough, so I thought I'd answer you here if that's alright.

More than alright as it is more detailed and interesting as well. I very much agree with you on all your points.

29-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I think conservatives are about as oppressed on this site as Christians are in the US. Which is to say, not at all, but it doesn't stop some from whining about persecution whenever their ideas are critiqued.

None of the poll options fits my position, since I don't agree with the definitions you give of conservative and progressive. (the conservatives in the US are the ones trying to alter the status quo, and the opposing party has no positions which are truly progressive and are trying to preserve the status quo)
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
29-06-2017, 12:14 PM
(29-06-2017 12:09 PM)julep Wrote:  I think conservatives are about as oppressed on this site as Christians are in the US. Which is to say, not at all, but it doesn't stop some from whining about persecution whenever their ideas are critiqued.

None of the poll options fits my position, since I don't agree with the definitions you give of conservative and progressive. (the conservatives in the US are the ones trying to alter the status quo, and the opposing party has no positions which are truly progressive and are trying to preserve the status quo)

I think you raise a valid point here regarding the terms conservative and progressive. The terms have been muddied up so much in the political world that they've all almost become completely meaningless and certainly do not represent the values or ideas they once represented at all.

(for example conservatives think that they are preserving the status quo by changing the nation to be a theocracy, something many of them do want, yet.... that's not the status quo at all. That's a sharp departure from anything in US history and the position to go that way is based on a lie)

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post