Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 12:16 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 12:09 PM)julep Wrote:  I think conservatives are about as oppressed on this site as Christians are in the US. Which is to say, not at all, but it doesn't stop some from whining about persecution whenever their ideas are critiqued.

None of the poll options fits my position, since I don't agree with the definitions you give of conservative and progressive. (the conservatives in the US are the ones trying to alter the status quo, and the opposing party has no positions which are truly progressive and are trying to preserve the status quo)

I agree with you that conservatives (republicans/Trump) are very much trying to alter the status quo. But of course they feel they are merely moving the status quo back to where it had been before the civil rights movement and a bunch of legislating, liberal justices had changed it.

I also agree that while the democrats are opposing those efforts, they are a far cry from being truly progressive. You might say, they have become conservative about maintaining the new normal, post civil rights era.

The poll does't matter to me in the least. The discussion is what matters. So thanks.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
29-06-2017, 12:16 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 12:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  The Five Foundations:
Care: cherishing and protecting others; opposite of harm.
Fairness or proportionality: rendering justice according to shared rules; opposite of cheating.
Loyalty or ingroup: standing with your group, family, nation; opposite of betrayal.
Authority or respect: submitting to tradition and legitimate authority; opposite of subversion.
Sanctity or purity: abhorrence for disgusting things, foods, actions; opposite of degradation.

... a conservative just is moved more by the last three foundations while progressive's motives seem bound up mostly in the first two ...

From what I've read that isn't quite the difference. Progressives give more weight to the first two (it might be more accurate to say less weight to the last three); Conservatives give all five equal weight - they do not give more weight to the last three relative to the weight they give the first two.
29-06-2017, 12:17 PM
(29-06-2017 12:05 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Nice song, thanks Smile

That it is, indeed. I quite like Matchbox Twenty, especially their more, shall we say, dynamic songs...

They also have this really great line:

"Our hands are full, our lives are not
The loose affiliation with the real
We're sleeping at the wheel..."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-06-2017, 12:19 PM
(29-06-2017 11:58 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I am conservative. Most here are progressive liberals.

I am not afraid to post my political views, even though many here can be quite abrasive, some downright abusive with name calling and personal attacks.

When you argue in favor of your political views - an example might help - what principles do you point to as justifying your stance?

29-06-2017, 12:21 PM
(29-06-2017 12:16 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 12:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  The Five Foundations:
Care: cherishing and protecting others; opposite of harm.
Fairness or proportionality: rendering justice according to shared rules; opposite of cheating.
Loyalty or ingroup: standing with your group, family, nation; opposite of betrayal.
Authority or respect: submitting to tradition and legitimate authority; opposite of subversion.
Sanctity or purity: abhorrence for disgusting things, foods, actions; opposite of degradation.

... a conservative just is moved more by the last three foundations while progressive's motives seem bound up mostly in the first two ...

From what I've read that isn't quite the difference. Progressives give more weight to the first two (it might be more accurate to say less weight to the last three); Conservatives give all five equal weight - they do not give more weight to the last three relative to the weight they give the first two.

You may well be right about that. Such measurements are tough to make. But I agree that they certainly give the last three more weight than do progressives generally speaking.

Got to get going back outside to work on some projects. I'll check back later to see what other points come up.

29-06-2017, 12:24 PM
(29-06-2017 11:40 AM)whateverist Wrote:  ...
1) Do you identify as more progressive?

2) Do you think most people on this site are politically more progressive?

& 3) Do you think there is a climate that makes being openly conservative uncomfortable here?

C) Y, N, Y
D) Y, N, N

C) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
D) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.

I think you've got C and D the wrong way around.

(29-06-2017 12:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  ...
Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory has helped.

The Five Foundations Wrote:Care: cherishing and protecting others; opposite of harm.

Or 6...
[Image: MoralFoundationsListing+%25281%2529.jpg]

http://moralfoundations.org/

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
29-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes

I think this board skews progressive, but this is my perception based on political commentary.
I can't speak for those who don't voice their opinions openly.

& 3) Do you think there is a climate that makes being openly conservative uncomfortable here?
Possibly? That is difficult for me to surmise as the level of comfort w/ voicing opinions on social media is vastly different for everyone.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
29-06-2017, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 12:31 PM by JesseB.)
(29-06-2017 12:19 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 11:58 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I am conservative. Most here are progressive liberals.

I am not afraid to post my political views, even though many here can be quite abrasive, some downright abusive with name calling and personal attacks.

When you argue in favor of your political views - an example might help - what principles do you point to as justifying your stance?

Though you asked Lord Dark Helm, I'd like to answer this if you don't mind.

Honesty and Respect to myself and objective reality to the best of my ability. When I fail to stand up for other's it is as much a failure to myself as it is a failure to them. When I make a mistake or spread false information it's as much a failure to myself as it is those who may read my mistakes and be swayed by them. I have a mind and thoughts and with that comes responsibility, I have ethics and principles that are very well defined and a strong sense of... duty to myself to be the best person I can be and always maintain the highest level of intellectual integrity and honesty that I am able to achieve. A part of this also includes being Just with people, not holding grudges or fostering hate towards anyone simply because we may at times disagree. In fact I fully expect to disagree with every person I speak with at some point or another, It would not do me well to hate the world, and I'd prefer not to be hated by the world.

To do any less would be the only way to truly degrade myself (at least within my own mind)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like JesseB's post
29-06-2017, 12:32 PM
(29-06-2017 12:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 11:40 AM)whateverist Wrote:  ...

C) Y, N, Y
D) Y, N, N

C) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
D) I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.

I think you've got C and D the wrong way around.

Oops, you're right. Thanks but nothing much I can really do about it except on my OP perhaps. I'll give that a go.

(29-06-2017 12:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 12:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  ...
Haidt's Moral Foundations Theory has helped.

Or 6...
[Image: MoralFoundationsListing+%25281%2529.jpg]

http://moralfoundations.org/

Last I heard they were discussing whether to add a sixth. I'm glad they did.

Do you find you skew one way or the other on the progressive/conservative continuum?

29-06-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm pro liberty - no problem with euthanasia, abortion, decriminalizing drugs (heard Portugal is doing quite nice, but I'm not sure), same sex marriage or legal prostitution. As long as there is no coercion and harm to other people I don't care what consenting adults do. I'm also not opposed to welfare state. I don't like church, right wingers and tradition. Possibly that makes me progressive according to your definition but it isn't word that I would use to describe myself.

I think there are quite a few "progressives" here and if conservatives feel uncomfortable when sharing their political views then that's tough. And maybe that is a sign of something being wrong with said views.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.