Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 01:30 PM by JesseB.)
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 12:48 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 12:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Though you asked Lord Dark Helm, I'd like to answer this if you don't mind.

Honesty and Respect to myself and objective reality to the best of my ability. When I fail to stand up for other's it is as much a failure to myself as it is a failure to them. When I make a mistake or spread false information it's as much a failure to myself as it is those who may read my mistakes and be swayed by them. I have a mind and thoughts and with that comes responsibility, I have ethics and principles that are very well defined and a strong sense of... duty to myself to be the best person I can be and always maintain the highest level of intellectual integrity and honesty that I am able to achieve. A part of this also includes being Just with people, not holding grudges or fostering hate towards anyone simply because we may at times disagree. In fact I fully expect to disagree with every person I speak with at some point or another, It would not do me well to hate the world, and I'd prefer not to be hated by the world.

To do any less would be the only way to truly degrade myself (at least within my own mind)

Well I'd certainly be happy to encounter more people like yourself in the world.

Thinking back to the question you responded to here, I suspect you wouldn't often get into an argument where you thought the other person just should feel as you do for reasons independent of their own values and goals. But suppose someone wished to argue that the ACA needed to be repealed and replaced because too many people get a free ride when the nanny state robs from those with more to give a free handout to others. Sure, tens of millions of people will lose healthcare but it erodes people's motivation to ever provide for themselves when government steps in, weakening our national character.* I don't know about you, but I think that position needs to be confronted. The people who hold it do not need to be vilified but such a policy would be monstrous for so many.

*This is me trying to express it as a conservative might, not anything I agree with of course.

A little devils advocate never harmed anyone. In fact being able to argue from the opposing viewpoint is an imperative skill for anyone who wishes to engage in debate.

And yea.... I hear that a lot considering that's what everyone around me thinks. They kinda sound like a broken record.

However to answer that there's a few things. First I agree one of the greatest potential sources of meaning and self worth in this world is responsibility accomplishing goals under your own power. I totally agree the ACA needs to be repealed and replaced. It needs to be replaced with a system that allows everyone the same access to healthcare so they can push forward and strive for their goals, the idea that college or healthcare is "a free ride" is a misnomer in fact solving the healthcare and college issue reduces the "free ride" that is welfare. As you're giving people the basic tools to go get things for themselves resulting in less dependency on the government over all. Add to that doing these 2 things alone promotes the general welfare of the nation as a whole and adds to the nations ability to grow more so than any other policy I've seen proposed.

(stepping out of RP for a moment to give some analysis)

See, the argument is framed wrong. Notice how I flipped it from ACA and corporate welfare to healthcare for all, without phrasing it as a handout. What you stated is propaganda it's simply not based in reality and the response I shared has made headway with even deeply ideological conservatives (my neighbors). I don't find their concerns about "a free ride" totally invalid, I get where it's coming from and while I see it as short sighted and misguided I do understand the element of truth under there and it's born from mainly 2 things I think.

1. Fairness, they think they worked harder than poor people to get where they are (this is of course usually wrong, but they do think this), as a result giving others stuff is just not fair they didn't EARN it (again wrong but that's what they think and how they feel, there's a fundamental error there that needs to be corrected). However if you think this, if you feel this way of course you'll be fucking pissed. Look at fairness trials in chimps, they get pissed too when they think things are unfair. To confront this education is needed.

2. The awareness that you can derive meaning from accomplishing goals on your own power, this is legitimate. Responsibility can be one of the most powerful sources for personal meaning in a persons life. However the trick is to show them that their position actually reduces or hinders personal responsibility.

And yes I get some blow back but.... the conversations I've had on this specific topic often last hours, so I boiled it down as best I can. But in no case have I encountered ANY conservative that just wants people to die in the streets. That's mostly because only the super rich think like that and I don't know any super rich people. Most conservatives (the poor fucks in the middle and lower class) are just used by the rich as a tool. This is of course my personal opinion. Their representatives don't represent them at all and the propaganda is by design intended to confuse them and create cognitive errors hijacking many of their valid values, ideas, and emotions.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
29-06-2017, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 01:24 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 01:00 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 12:54 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I can hardly be wrong there as it is about what I value not what can be done and how cost/benefits table would look like. I can't be wrong in liking color blue to say it succinctly if maybe not accurately.

But on the practical side I can't see anything wrong with what I would support and I can't see much place to be wrong. Sure, legalizing euthanasia can lead to some deaths with stretch the limit of the term but I can't in good conscience oppose it, for it's not up to me to decide how long one should suffer. Rest is even less risky - abortion should be a women right regardless of circumstances; one could say that it is now, for wealthy women, so there won't be much change, only less hypocrisy. Same sex marriage isn't harmful at all, Portugal drug policy seems to be working good. Only legal prostitution can be issue - I'm for it cause everyone has right to sell sex and cause I've never saw serious arguments against. But if downsides would be bigger than upside then I'm willing to scratch it.

I don't value ideas I deem wrong. Often I despise them - I have no respect for people opposing euthanasia for example as - in my experience - they're against cause god, without fucking original though. And it is thanks to such shitheads that people would could find peace in death still suffer. Same with abortion and sex ed - denying it only makes situation worse for those most vulnerable - children. So why should I value idea saying that sex ed and abortion bad?

It's the level of black and white thinking, the "I'm 100% correct on everything and everything I think is right, and everything else is 100% evil" that I find concerning.

I know that I'm not right all the time. I just highly doubt I can be wrong about issues which I mentioned.

Quote:Perhaps that's not what you intend, but when you say you despise people who oppose your viewpoints, I find that very disconcerting.

I despise people who oppose certain of my vies. I couldn't care less about people not liking my views on music, food, books, or how to spend free time. But I won't play a noble knight and say - well old chap, you want people to suffer (opposing euthanasia) but I respect that. I don't respect such view and I see no reason for doing so. Tolerance for plurality goes only so far and there is time when respect is not warranted.

Quote:I absolutely do not dispose people for not blindly accepting those positions, or having what they think are viable alternatives, or what they think are legitimate concerns.

I don't despise people for not blindly accepting something but for blindly opposing it. When someone arguments are "cause god" or "save kids from drugs" then I don't see much reason for respect.

Quote: More important despising and demonizing all who don't agree with you 100% is exactly how every mass murder situation involving a dictator against their own population has ever happened.

Wow. I say something about despising shitheads willing to condone suffering of others cause space wizard they believe in don't like quick ending of pain and you bring dictators into play? That's quite curious and problematic.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-06-2017, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 01:28 PM by JesseB.)
(29-06-2017 01:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 01:00 PM)JesseB Wrote:  It's the level of black and white thinking, the "I'm 100% correct on everything and everything I think is right, and everything else is 100% evil" that I find concerning.

I know that I'm not right all the time. I just highly doubt I can be wrong about issues which I mentioned.

Quote:Perhaps that's not what you intend, but when you say you despise people who oppose your viewpoints, I find that very disconcerting.

I despise people who oppose certain of my vies. I couldn't care less about people not liking my views on music, food, books, or how to spend free time. But I won't play a noble knight and say - well old chap, you wan't people to suffer (opposing euthanasia) but I respect that. I don't respect such view and I see no reason for doing so. Tolerance for plurality goes only so far.

Quote:I absolutely do not dispose people for not blindly accepting those positions,

I don't despise people for not blindly accepting something but for blindly opposing it. When someone arguments are "cause god" or "save kids from drugs" then I don't see much reason for respect.

Quote:or having what they think are viable alternatives, or what they think are legitimate concerns. More important despising and demonizing all who don't agree with you 100% is exactly how every mass murder situation involving a dictator against their own population has ever happened.

Wow. I say something about despising shitheads willing to condone suffering of others cause space wizard they believe in don't like quick ending of pain and you bring dictators into play? You're real piece of work I see.

Thanks for the insult, but my position is valid. It's specifically a concern I have, it's not a judgment on you or a request for you to change. I would encourage you to reflect on it a bit. Some people are very 2 dimensional thinkers both liberal and conservative. and some are very rigid thinkers, you seem to be very rigid and I find that level of inflexibility and lack of concern for others a bit... well concerning. And it can and does in fact lead to dictators mass murdering populations when that kind of thing goes too far, that does not mean YOU will mass murder anyone, or even contribute to it. But if you are not aware of it then yea you might contribute to it. So I think I'm extending you a kindness by pointing it out. It's just an observation nothing more. It is definitely NOT an attack on you, that you're so quick to attack me as a result is... disappointing.

Edit^ maybe this will help, I am specifically anti authoritarian and I find the way you present yourself to be too authoritarian for my liking and my natural defensive mechanism gets triggered as authoritarians inevitably seek to kill people like me. It has happened often in the past and will continue to happen in the future. I come to these conclusions after an extensive study of history and analysis of what has caused the worst massacres in history.

Double Edit^ I do however see your point about blindly opposing the positions you've listed and fully agree with you on that. Blind opposition is in fact quite unproductive and pathetic. So agreed.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
29-06-2017, 01:27 PM
(29-06-2017 01:00 PM)JesseB Wrote:  It's the level of black and white thinking, the "I'm 100% correct on everything and everything I think is right, and everything else is 100% evil" that I find concerning. Perhaps that's not what you intend, but when you say you despise people who oppose your viewpoints, I find that very disconcerting. And I don't think I personally disagree with any of the positions you listed. Still...

I absolutely do not dispose people for not blindly accepting those positions, or having what they think are viable alternatives, or what they think are legitimate concerns. More important despising and demonizing all who don't agree with you 100% is exactly how every mass murder situation involving a dictator against their own population has ever happened.

I'm gonna disagree with you here. I think expressing your honest opinion is important. If I hold e.g. homophobes in contempt, then to play nice and say there are two sides to the issue yada yada yada is not being honest. Homophobes are also free to hold me in contempt. ETA: I phrased this badly. I certainly don't intend to imply that you are advocating dishonesty!

The interesting interplay comes when you are actually having a discussion with for example a homophobe. Now this may be a nice person. Perhaps your granny... It *is* not possible to class the world into good and bad, nor to condemn people wholesale. Everyone has some views which are maybe abhorrent to others. But I won't be ashamed to say I find those views abhorrent nor why, at the same time I'm not gonna lose sight of the fact that the other person is also a human being and therefore as much deserving of the benefit of the doubt as everyone else, they have their own life experience and their own reasons for behaving and believing the way that they do.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
29-06-2017, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 01:43 PM by Szuchow.)
(29-06-2017 01:22 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Thanks for the insult, but my position is valid.

Already edited it. Also I'm sure that you feel that your position is valid.

Quote:It's specifically a concern I have, it's not a judgment on you or a request for you to change. I would encourage you to reflect on it a bit. Some people are very 2 dimensional thinkers both liberal and conservative. and some are very rigid thinkers, you seem to be very rigid and I find that level of inflexibility and lack of concern for others a bit... well concerning.

You know what? Tough shit. I will not start spouting nonsense about tolerating multiple views when one of said views is about condoning untold suffering. Think me rigid? That's good, cause there are some positions that I deem nonnegotiable.

Quote:And it can and does in fact lead to dictators mass murdering populations when that kind of thing goes too far, that does not mean YOU will mass murder anyone, or even contribute to it. But if you are not aware of it then yea you might contribute to it.

You have long way to go if you think that you can teach me about dictators. It's not lack of respect for certain positions that start purges but dehumanization (among many other things). "Sin" of which I'm not guilty for while I despise people holding certain positions I don't deny them their humanity, nor I think they should be punished in any way for their views. Shamed, but that's all.

Quote:So I think I'm extending you a kindness by pointing it out. It's just an observation nothing more. It is definitely NOT an attack on you, that you're so quick to attack me as a result is... disappointing.

Don' try to hide your self-righteousness behind facade of kindness. Noble knight riding to save poor right-wingers from Szuchow disrespect? Just remember about those who are really affected - it's not right-wing ones, but those who suffer cause their fellow human beings are more concerned with their faith than well being of others.

Quote:Edit^ maybe this will help, I am specifically anti authoritarian and I find the way you present yourself to be too authoritarian for my liking and my natural defensive mechanism gets triggered as authoritarians inevitably seek to kill people like me. It has happened often in the past and will continue to happen in the future. I come to these conclusions after an extensive study of history and analysis of what has caused the worst massacres in history.

If you only could tell me what despising those who are against euthanasia had to do with worst massacres in history.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-06-2017, 01:41 PM
(29-06-2017 01:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 01:00 PM)JesseB Wrote:  It's the level of black and white thinking, the "I'm 100% correct on everything and everything I think is right, and everything else is 100% evil" that I find concerning. Perhaps that's not what you intend, but when you say you despise people who oppose your viewpoints, I find that very disconcerting. And I don't think I personally disagree with any of the positions you listed. Still...

I absolutely do not dispose people for not blindly accepting those positions, or having what they think are viable alternatives, or what they think are legitimate concerns. More important despising and demonizing all who don't agree with you 100% is exactly how every mass murder situation involving a dictator against their own population has ever happened.

I'm gonna disagree with you here. I think expressing your honest opinion is important. If I hold e.g. homophobes in contempt, then to play nice and say there are two sides to the issue yada yada yada is not being honest. Homophobes are also free to hold me in contempt. ETA: I phrased this badly. I certainly don't intend to imply that you are advocating dishonesty!

The interesting interplay comes when you are actually having a discussion with for example a homophobe. Now this may be a nice person. Perhaps your granny... It *is* not possible to class the world into good and bad, nor to condemn people wholesale. Everyone has some views which are maybe abhorrent to others. But I won't be ashamed to say I find those views abhorrent nor why, at the same time I'm not gonna lose sight of the fact that the other person is also a human being and therefore as much deserving of the benefit of the doubt as everyone else, they have their own life experience and their own reasons for behaving and believing the way that they do.

While I think homophobia itself is reprehensible, when I meet someone who appears to be a homophobe I do not instantly demonize THEM as being reprehensible. I understand that in most cases homophobia stems from ignorance and lack of exposure. Same with racism too in fact, and I have snapped people out of their bad ideas on homophobia and racism and started them on the path to being decent human beings.

See I start with a position of trying to understand where they are comming from, deconstructing if you will where the error in the program is. I analyze it understand it, then attempt to employ counter arguments designed to correct it. I try to only resort to insult when a path forward is no longer viable, and even then my insults are usually intended and designed to shock the system, to wake them up and get them thinking. Like a defibrillator for the brain. I do not expect that the things I say or do will have immediate results, but sometimes they do and you can see it. If the shock to the system gets them thinking again opens them up, then a path forward can once again be obtained and I immediately halt with the insults and continue moving forward with them.

Countless time's I'm talking with someone and it devolves into really mean nasty shit and I'll say something that just horribly rude like I'm a total asshole but something happens, they laugh (of course they do I was aiming for that the entire time laughter is one of the key's to solving difficult problems). And once they laugh we have a more honest exchange of our feelings and where they come from and after that we can begin moving forward, though often I put it to rest soon after so we can take a break and continue later as that level of engagement is quite exhausting.

Big Grin
29-06-2017, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 02:00 PM by JesseB.)
(29-06-2017 01:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 01:22 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Thanks for the insult, but my position is valid.

Already edited it. Also I'm sure that you feel that your position is valid.

Quote:It's specifically a concern I have, it's not a judgment on you or a request for you to change. I would encourage you to reflect on it a bit. Some people are very 2 dimensional thinkers both liberal and conservative. and some are very rigid thinkers, you seem to be very rigid and I find that level of inflexibility and lack of concern for others a bit... well concerning.

You know what? Tough shit. I will not start spouting nonsense about tolerating multiple views when one of said views is about condoning untold suffering. Think me rigid? That's good, cause there are some positions that I deem nonnegotiable.

Quote:And it can and does in fact lead to dictators mass murdering populations when that kind of thing goes too far, that does not mean YOU will mass murder anyone, or even contribute to it. But if you are not aware of it then yea you might contribute to it.

You have long way to go if you think that you can teach me about dictators. It's not lack of respect for certain positions that start purges but dehumanization (among many other things). "Sin" of which I'm not guilty for while I despise people holding certain positions I don't deny them their humanity, nor I think they should be punished in any way for their views. Shamed, but that's all.

Quote:So I think I'm extending you a kindness by pointing it out. It's just an observation nothing more. It is definitely NOT an attack on you, that you're so quick to attack me as a result is... disappointing.

Don' try to hide your self-righteousness behind facade of kindness. Noble knight riding to save poor right-wingers from Szuchow disrespect? Just remember about those who are really affected - it's not right-wing ones, but those who suffer cause their fellow human beings are more concerned with their faith than well being of others.

Thank you for the edit

The only person I'm defending or trying to save is myself, and I am decidedly not a right winger......

And yes dehumanization is also a part of it, but when you make such blanket encompassing statements it certainly sounds to me like you are in fact dehumanizing them, and in fact to an extent me with how you've been responding.

It's not a facade of kindness I do in fact like you and respect your thoughts and im genuinely attempting to be kind to you.

Edit^ I missed the question about what euthanasia has to do with dictators ect
It's not specifically euthanasia, it's how you present your positions. They come off as very Authoritarian, like you're not there to win people to your side, you're there to beat them into submission or kill them if they don't agree (not saying this is what you intend or say, its just how the way you present your position can make people feel I think). Now I kinda get that you're not trying to win people over, you're just stating what you think and they can deal with it. I get that. But my concern is if you decide that since you are 100% right that perhaps you're also 100% justified to by any means necessary force that on the rest of the world, and on principle I'll have to stand up against you when it comes to encroaching on other's rights or on issues of genocide at which point I become a target. Now this isn't specific to you NOR is it jumping off the deep end, it's simply acknowledging an awareness of how authoritarianism works. It's a concern I have with the extreme right wing and Trump too. You certainly don't have to soften your tone for me or anyone else, but if you choose to you might be more effective in convincing people to join your side (which isn't my side despite the fact that we agree on the position, because I do not dehumanize people by hating them for not agreeing with me)

Big Grin
29-06-2017, 01:49 PM
I specifically do not like shoving people into tiny boxes, and then feeling justified in attacking the boxes as a whole. Which is something I kinda see in your response Morondog, I don't disagree with your position, at least not entirely. However I find it too quick to pass judgement, I would prefer to at least attempt to correct the problem when I encounter it first, and if that fails then judge them to be a hopeless asshat. If that helps clarify.

Big Grin
29-06-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 02:18 PM by Szuchow.)
(29-06-2017 01:44 PM)JesseB Wrote:  And yes dehumanization is also a part of it, but when you make such blanket encompassing statements it certainly sounds to me like you are in fact dehumanizing them, and in fact to an extent me with how you've been responding.

So you're feeling dehumanized? Maybe I should agree with you more or say that I think that all views are worthy of hearing and respect?

Not respecting or despising someone isn't the same as dehumanizing someone. I'm not calling those who disagree with me subhumans. I just lack respect for them (read them as those who oppose certain of my views).

Quote:It's not a facade of kindness I do in fact like you and respect your thoughts and im genuinely attempting to be kind to you.

I doubt it. Or you have interesting way of showing someone that you like him - unwarranted mentions of dictators or dehumanization.

Quote:Edit^ I missed the question about what euthanasia has to do with dictators ect
It's not specifically euthanasia, it's how you present your positions. They come off as very Authoritarian, like you're not there to win people to your side,

I'm here to show my views and defend them if needed. But winning people to my side? What for? No amount of forum support will change my country or my life.

Quote:you're there to beat them into submission or kill them if they don't agree (not saying this is what you intend or say, its just how the way you present your position can make people feel I think).

And it's I who aren't nice when you constantly speak shit like that. If not dictators, or dehumanizing then killing people if they not agree. You say you like me. Wonder what you would be writing if you wouldn't liked me Drinking Beverage

Quote:Now I kinda get that you're not trying to win people over, you're just stating what you think and they can deal with it. I get that. But my concern is if you decide that since you are 100% right that perhaps you're also 100% justified to by any means necessary force that on the rest of the world, and on principle I'll have to stand up against you when it comes to encroaching on other's rights or on issues of genocide at which point I become a target.

Sure. I read Lenin biography as a guide to world domination.

Rolleyes

Quote:Now this isn't specific to you NOR is it jumping off the deep end, it's simply acknowledging an awareness of how authoritarianism works.

It's simply laughable scenario that I have difficulty believing you wrote seriously.

Quote:It's a concern I have with the extreme right wing and Trump too. You certainly don't have to soften your tone for me or anyone else, but if you choose to you might be more effective in convincing people to join your side (which isn't my side despite the fact that we agree on the position, because I do not dehumanize people by hating them for not agreeing with me)

Soften the tone? Thanks for the advice. Now my Legions of Doom will swell quickly and Revolution wouldn't be long in coming.

Edit 2: I honestly don't think that I will be able to take you seriously any more. Also I see you have trouble with reading comprehension - dehumanizing people isn't the same as not respecting them.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-06-2017, 02:05 PM
(29-06-2017 01:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 12:32 PM)whateverist Wrote:  ...
Do you find you skew one way or the other on the progressive/conservative continuum?

I'm both.

I'm risk averse in some scenarios and an explorer (seeker of change) in other scenarios.

I'm in the process of diagamising morality. I've got as far as the macro view (although it's in a disjointed, draft form) in flow diagram format but I need to get to a micro level (network diagrams) to give my hypothesis some substance.

I'm going to have to tackle something which I've been avoiding... consciousness. That's my next task.
But at least I've got as far as answering the question as to what distinguishes a 'preference' question from a 'social' question from a 'moral' question (I think).

Unsure

Why do I feel like I just walked in on the middle of a larger conversation? What is your impetus for taking on such tasks?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle