Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 03:00 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 02:49 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I think I then can stand in full agreement with you, I'm glad we could come to an understanding. It's one of the things I really have always respected about you.

You can stand in full agreement? That is you see nothing wrong in not having an ounce of respect for those who oppose euthanasia for example?

Also checked other dictionaries - hating and despising are synonyms there, on the other hand Polish Wikipedia notes difference between the two - neither is pleasant, yet what distinguish despising someone is feeling of superiority. I blame miscommunication on pride which makes using dictionaries hard even if it sometimes need for clarity sake.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2017, 03:01 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 02:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 02:49 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I think I then can stand in full agreement with you, I'm glad we could come to an understanding. It's one of the things I really have always respected about you.

You can stand in full agreement? That is you see nothing wrong in not having an ounce of respect for those who oppose euthanasia for example?

Also checked other dictionaries - hating and despising are synonyms there. Though Polish Wikipedia notes difference between the two. I blame miscommunication on pride which makes using dictionaries hard.

Absolutely. I don't have any respect for anyone unless they earn it (outside of a very basic level of respect extended to all humans, and frankly all animals and living things in general I don't really see animals as less deserving of basic respect than humans, personally). I have no problem with you not extending people respect whom hold views you find reprehensible. I only draw the line at hating them, personally.

And I'm possibly (probably) too quick to jump into defense against authoritarian sounding statements thanks mostly to trump, and others who seem hell bent on destroying the world.

And I find that much disagreement stems from miscommunication, I don't hold that against you. In fact I quite value the fact that you are willing to check and correct yourself. It's such a rare and admirable trait it's worth pointing out. Like I said, I really do like and respect you and value your thoughts, even when we occasionally find points of contention.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
29-06-2017, 03:06 PM
(29-06-2017 02:05 PM)whateverist Wrote:  ...
Why do I feel like I just walked in on the middle of a larger conversation? What is your impetus for taking on such tasks?

A few convergent things as described in this thread and also when I was interviewed by that Kentucky radio station and realised that when I was trying to explain secular morality to the christian hosts (radio hosts not celestial hosts) I had been drawing it in the air (which comes across badly on the radio).

I've developed the ideas a further since that thread but have not made them public yet.

(29-06-2017 02:21 PM)whateverist Wrote:  ... So either I have to accept that 35 to 40 percent of the population are horrible human beings with really contemptible intentions,

It's not as bad as that.

I think you might be looking at %age of voters.

Trump's vote was around 19% of the population.

Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
29-06-2017, 03:08 PM
(29-06-2017 03:01 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Absolutely. I don't have any respect for anyone unless they earn it (outside of a very basic level of respect extended to all humans, and frankly all animals and living things in general I don't really see animals as less deserving of basic respect than humans, personally). I have no problem with you not extending people respect whom hold views you find reprehensible. I only draw the line at hating them, personally.

Ah.

Quote:And I'm possibly (probably) too quick to jump into defense against authoritarian sounding statements thanks mostly to trump, and others who seem hell bent on destroying the world.

I doubt that Trump want to destroy the world.

Quote:And I find that much disagreement stems from miscommunication, I don't hold that against you. In fact I quite value the fact that you are willing to check and correct yourself. It's such a rare and admirable trait it's worth pointing out. Like I said, I really do like and respect you and value your thoughts, even when we occasionally find points of contention.

If you wouldn't pointed it then I wouldn't check it working under misconception of these two being entirely different words. So nothing to value here - at his point it would be simply clownish to not correct myself. I should have done it before I wrote, not after someone pointed to me that said words are synonyms.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-06-2017, 03:16 PM
(29-06-2017 03:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 03:01 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Absolutely. I don't have any respect for anyone unless they earn it (outside of a very basic level of respect extended to all humans, and frankly all animals and living things in general I don't really see animals as less deserving of basic respect than humans, personally). I have no problem with you not extending people respect whom hold views you find reprehensible. I only draw the line at hating them, personally.

Ah.

Quote:And I'm possibly (probably) too quick to jump into defense against authoritarian sounding statements thanks mostly to trump, and others who seem hell bent on destroying the world.

I doubt that Trump want to destroy the world.

Quote:And I find that much disagreement stems from miscommunication, I don't hold that against you. In fact I quite value the fact that you are willing to check and correct yourself. It's such a rare and admirable trait it's worth pointing out. Like I said, I really do like and respect you and value your thoughts, even when we occasionally find points of contention.

If you wouldn't pointed it then I wouldn't check it working under misconception of these two being entirely different words. So nothing to value here - at his point it would be simply clownish to not correct myself. I should have done it before I wrote, not after someone pointed to me that said words are synonyms.

Clownish it may be but sometimes when you point out an error of someone else's rather than verifying and correcting it, they simply dig the hole deeper (religious folks I'm lookin at you lol). It is at least as far as people here in the US are concerned a VERY rare trait across the board. Americans seem to view making errors and corrections as somehow... a sign of weakness. Such a bizarre attitude really but as a result when you point out they've made an error I think most Americans will do anything to avoid correcting it.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
29-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Well....

@whateverist,

Despite that little debate being moderately off topic, I suspect it's an example of the kind of exchange you would prefer to promote across the board, less vitriol and hate and more coming together to find that we aren't all monsters and that there are ways for us to reach each other. Ya?

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
29-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(29-06-2017 03:16 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Clownish it may be but sometimes when you point out an error of someone else's rather than verifying and correcting it, they simply dig the hole deeper (religious folks I'm lookin at you lol). It is at least as far as people here in the US are concerned a VERY rare trait across the board. Americans seem to view making errors and corrections as somehow... a sign of weakness. Such a bizarre attitude really but as a result when you point out they've made an error I think most Americans will do anything to avoid correcting it.

I doubt that inability to own mistake and choosing to persist in it is American trait. It's just human.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
29-06-2017, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 07:04 PM by Dr H.)
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative political
As usual, no choice for the anarchists. <sigh> When will the oppression end? Huh

S'ok, I'm used to it. I don't identify as "progressive" and I don't identify as "conservative".
But I do think that -- with the exception of a few hardy souls -- conservatives probably don't feel too comfortable expressing conservative views here.

C'est la vie.
Anarchists are used to getting kicked in both cheeks, by the right and the left, so we've learned to be careful about where we bend over.
If we can deal with it, so can they. Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 6 users Like Dr H's post
29-06-2017, 07:01 PM
s this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 06:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  As usual, no choice for the anarchists. <sigh> When will the oppression end? Huh

S'ok, I'm used to it. I don't identify as "progressive" and I don't identify as "conservative".
But I do think that -- with the exception of a few hardy souls -- conservatives probably don't feel too comfortable expressing conservative views here.

C'est la vie.
Anarchists are used to getting kicked in both cheeks, by the right and the left, so we've learned to be careful about where we bend over.

lol

I can't even wrap my head around the choices. Putting together that OP is more work than I'm willing to do even at WORK.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-06-2017, 09:10 PM
(29-06-2017 06:52 PM)Dr H Wrote:  As usual, no choice for the anarchists. <sigh> When will the oppression end? Huh

C'est la vie.

I happen to like the things you have to say.... Does that make me an Anarchist? lol

Big Grin