Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
On the political spectrum I'm mostly north polar.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(29-06-2017 09:10 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I happen to like the things you have to say.... Does that make me an Anarchist? lol

If you like.
It's not like we have club dues and membership cards. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 02:30 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative political
(29-06-2017 09:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Anarchist/Nihilist, just the flip sides of the same coin...

Actually, no.

anarchy = without imposed external government

nihilism = rejection of all ultimate values and meanings

Anarchists don't reject values and meanings; they only reject external government, preferring to govern themselves.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 02:57 PM
RE:So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politicall
(29-06-2017 09:54 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't get conservatism. It seems to be more about either telling people what to do, or moving away from caring for the vulnerable. Obviously I don't like either of those things. I'm sure it's way more complex than that, but our fucking Tories and Trump aren't making that apparent to me.
The paradox of modern American conservatism.

On the one hand they don't want the government telling them what use they can make of their property, what guns they can own, who they can serve or refuse to serve in their businesses, or how much tax they should be paying for infrastructure support.

On the other hand, they are perfectly happy with having the government tell people that they have to suffer Christian icons in their government facilities; teach psuedoscience in their school biology classes; delineate who they can marry; or that they have to pay to support a military they may not believe in.

Quote:I don't see why anyone should be embarrassed to present their political views here, as long as they make some sort of sense.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can offer my observations. I've participated in a number of atheist fora over the years, and all but one of them had a majority of members that collectively leaned more or less to the left. I've only been on TTA a few months, but I think I detect a decided overall pitch in that direction here, as well. Not judging it as "good" or "bad", just offering that as an observation.

So... I don't think it's a matter of right-leaners being embarrassed, but of expressing locally unpopular views and then getting piled on. It takes a pretty thick hide to deal with that on a regular basis, and not everyone feels up to the struggle. Discussions can be pretty draining when one always finds their opinion on the low side of ten-to-one-against. Some people dig those odds, for sure; but most just don't have the energy to do it over and over.

--
Dr H

[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 03:00 PM
(30-06-2017 10:50 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I haven't seen very many actual conservatives; I see Republicans. Not the same thing at all.

I really don't mind actual conservatives being/having a voice because I think a valid conservative position can be healthy if not necessary (at least from a fiscal standpoint). But the American version of "conservative" is bullshit and doesn't really resemble actual conservatism.

On the same note, the left has a problem with the DNC, though IMO not as jarring at the right.

I don't see the DNC as "the left".

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 03:11 PM by JesseB.)
(30-06-2017 02:24 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 09:10 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I happen to like the things you have to say.... Does that make me an Anarchist? lol

If you like.
It's not like we have club dues and membership cards. Big Grin

To be clear, I'm not in favor of Anarchy. I don't think it's evil or the worst idea possible, in fact given what we have I would consider it a marked improvement. But I do support a healthy government with limited and well defined responsibilities made up of the general population representing the general population to assist in promotion of the general welfare and pretty much the shit in the constitution n stuff. I think if at any point in US history we had ever actually READ the fucking constitution and applied it (and not the way conservatives try to bastardize it), we'd actually be doing pretty well right now. I also think the constitution could do with a few updates for clarity and to change some outdated shit to a more.... modern place.

I've read all the documents with regards to the founding of our nation here and think that the constitution is in general a pretty ok document, maybe even the best attempt at a governing document created (at the time it was written), I don't think it's perfect there's room for improvement for sure (I'd add in campaign finance protections and election protections right into the constitution to avoid rich people fucking everyone else over, as one example)

But yes I totally reject any intrinsic meaning or purpose to the universe, government, our lives ect so I'm very much a Nihilist. Pretty sure my application of Nihilism is classified active Nihilism.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
30-06-2017, 03:12 PM
(30-06-2017 03:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Pretty sure my application of Nihilism is classified active Nihilism.

Izzat when you say "Meh!" and *really* mean it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-07-2017, 12:32 AM
(30-06-2017 02:57 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 09:54 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't get conservatism. It seems to be more about either telling people what to do, or moving away from caring for the vulnerable. Obviously I don't like either of those things. I'm sure it's way more complex than that, but our fucking Tories and Trump aren't making that apparent to me.
The paradox of modern American conservatism.

On the one hand they don't want the government telling them what use they can make of their property, what guns they can own, who they can serve or refuse to serve in their businesses, or how much tax they should be paying for infrastructure support.

On the other hand, they are perfectly happy with having the government tell people that they have to suffer Christian icons in their government facilities; teach psuedoscience in their school biology classes; delineate who they can marry; or that they have to pay to support a military they may not believe in.

Quote:I don't see why anyone should be embarrassed to present their political views here, as long as they make some sort of sense.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can offer my observations. I've participated in a number of atheist fora over the years, and all but one of them had a majority of members that collectively leaned more or less to the left. I've only been on TTA a few months, but I think I detect a decided overall pitch in that direction here, as well. Not judging it as "good" or "bad", just offering that as an observation.

So... I don't think it's a matter of right-leaners being embarrassed, but of expressing locally unpopular views and then getting piled on. It takes a pretty thick hide to deal with that on a regular basis, and not everyone feels up to the struggle. Discussions can be pretty draining when one always finds their opinion on the low side of ten-to-one-against. Some people dig those odds, for sure; but most just don't have the energy to do it over and over.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I would hope that if the views being presented were backed up by reason, that at least some people would tackle that reason politely rather than just dogpile. Of course some people will always react in knee-jerk ways, but I've seen more than enough free thinkers here to feel that this is a place where unpopular ideas can be discussed sensibly. I've presented unpopular views myself and have been met with at least some people engaging me properly. If I felt this was just an echo chamber, I wouldn't bother sticking around. Part of the reason I left my last forum was because things were headed that way in certain regards.

I've sometimes seen people present what I presume are conservative views on here, backed by nothing more than their bigotry. In such cases, they only give people two options: ignore them or mock them.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
02-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Personally, I'm a pragmatist.

I'm interested in what's real and what works.

If supply-side economics worked, I'd be all for it. But it doesn't.

If conservative politicians had a better track record than liberal ones when it comes to economic management, I'd be more politically conservative. But they don't.

If a prohibition on abortion would benefit society, and women specifically, I'd be all for it. But it doesn't.

If more guns made us safer, I'd be all for more guns. But they don't.

If there was evidence for a divine superintelligence that ruled the universe, and specifically human beings, I'd be a theist. But there isn't.

All that said, if one can show me evidence to the contrary on any of the above, I'll be the first to change my mind. Because facts and reality, to me, come first. Ideology is for sheep.
[+] 7 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
02-07-2017, 06:47 PM
I am socially liberal and economically conservative.

Am libertarian except I see many things that cannot be allowed to run free.

If everybody here had the same viewpoint it would not be worthwhile posting here. Dittoheads can go to Rush.