Poll: Are you progressive, do you think most here are and do you think conservatives may be uncomfortable here?
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive and yes I do think conservatives probably feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive, I think most people here are also progressive but I doubt if conservatives actually feel uncomfortable sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless I doubt if conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as progressive but I doubt if most people here are also progressive and regardless conservatives probably do feel uncomfortable about sharing their political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views here.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I do in fact feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
I identify as conservative but I don't think most people here are progressive, and I at least do not feel uncomfortable sharing my political views.
[Show Results]

So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2017, 07:22 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
(30-06-2017 03:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  But yes I totally reject any intrinsic meaning or purpose to the universe, government, our lives ect so I'm very much a Nihilist. Pretty sure my application of Nihilism is classified active Nihilism.

Active nihilism is what Nietszche preached. There is no meaning to be found so the Ăśbermensch creates its own. Schopenhauer preached the pussy woe is me nihilism.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-07-2017, 10:24 PM
RE: So is this site also predominantly progressive rather than conservative politically?
I'm a progressive based on this definition: "Progressivism is the support for or advocacy of social reform. As a philosophy it's based on the idea of progress, which asserts that advancements in science, technology, economic development, and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition."

I'm also a classical liberal based on this definition: "Liberalism" is the term used to designate the ideology advocating private property, an unhampered market economy, the rule of law, constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion and of the press, and international peace based on free trade."

(I'm assuming the UK's and US's term "conservative" roughly equate to Australia's "liberal" political term.)

I didn't tick any of the options as none of them suited my personal feeling. And I have not the faintest idea as to what the majority of members here define themselves as—conservative or progressive.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-07-2017, 11:12 PM
(30-06-2017 02:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 09:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Anarchist/Nihilist, just the flip sides of the same coin...

Actually, no.

anarchy = without imposed external government

nihilism = rejection of all ultimate values and meanings

Anarchists don't reject values and meanings; they only reject external government, preferring to govern themselves.

An objection/clarification ... external or 'top-down'?

The Kurdish (PKK) experiment has bottom-up governance e.g. the people with guns (security) are accountable to the demos rather than the archy, so to speak.
I'm watching this with much interest.

Also, by the above definition, one can be (as I am) a nihilist and embrace "values and meanings"

... which is nice.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-07-2017, 12:51 AM
If conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their views, maybe that should tell them something Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
03-07-2017, 01:00 AM
(03-07-2017 12:51 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their views, maybe that should tell them something Tongue

That's what I said.

I think there is at least some truth to it - if one doesn't want to discuss one opinion in discussion forum then perhaps his stance seems fishy even to him.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-07-2017, 01:08 AM
(03-07-2017 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 12:51 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If conservatives feel uncomfortable about sharing their views, maybe that should tell them something Tongue

That's what I said.

I think there is at least some truth to it - if one doesn't want to discuss one opinion in discussion forum then perhaps his stance seems fishy even to him.

I think this can certainly happen. It's so easy to absorb ideas from around us that they can become fundamental, and then they aren't checked regularly for their validity. It can be very emotionally uncomfortable to dig them up and root around, and putting them on display here would be an invitation. (I'm talking in general of course, not just about politics!)

I see it all the time even with vets, doctors, animal trainers... they sometimes cling to outdated dogma and they go mental if you even try to challenge it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-07-2017, 06:28 AM
(02-07-2017 11:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Also, by that definition, one can be (as I am) an nihilist and embrace "values and meanings"

... which is nice.

Thumbsup

I'd go so far as to say one cannot fully appreciate the value of meaning without being a nihilist.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-07-2017, 06:32 AM
I'm a liberal progressive and I've seen a fairly consistent mix of political views on here.

The exceptions are social issues. I highly doubt many conservatives would be likely to come here and defend pro-life (anti-choice) arguments or say that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to marry. Pretty sure there have been political polls on the site before to use as a gauge as well (I didn't vote because I don't like the options)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-07-2017, 06:39 AM
(03-07-2017 06:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 11:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Also, by that definition, one can be (as I am) an nihilist and embrace "values and meanings"

... which is nice.

Thumbsup

I'd go so far as to say one cannot fully appreciate the value of meaning without being a nihilist.

I'd go that far too.

So, what about the meaning of value?

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-07-2017, 06:49 AM
(03-07-2017 06:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 06:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd go so far as to say one cannot fully appreciate the value of meaning without being a nihilist.

I'd go that far too.

So, what about the meaning of value?

Consider

That is an excellent question. VoI or Value of Information is currently an active research area in a number of communities. There are quantitative models from decision theory and others but they feel, I dunno, wrongheaded somehow.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post