So it's been a month since I've come out.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2016, 03:02 PM
So it's been a month since I've come out.
So it's been a while now. Things have been interesting, to say the least. Most times everything is normal almost like nothing has changed, but there are times when she becomes melancholy and we've talked about it.

She feels as though something has been stolen from her. Our eternity together has been taken away. I've articulated that I don't hate God, I didn't just turn from God because of Sin, I've lost my faith due mainly to the silence of God, and now also the evidence to the contrary.

I'm worried that things are going to get worse, we've seen two pastors and spoken with them. But I am wondering if some secular counseling might be a good thing. Does anyone know how to find services like this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2016, 03:05 PM
RE: So it's been a month since I've come out.
(09-11-2016 03:02 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  So it's been a while now. Things have been interesting, to say the least. Most times everything is normal almost like nothing has changed, but there are times when she becomes melancholy and we've talked about it.

She feels as though something has been stolen from her. Our eternity together has been taken away. I've articulated that I don't hate God, I didn't just turn from God because of Sin, I've lost my faith due mainly to the silence of God, and now also the evidence to the contrary.

I'm worried that things are going to get worse, we've seen two pastors and spoken with them. But I am wondering if some secular counseling might be a good thing. Does anyone know how to find services like this?

This is a good bet:
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com

It took my wife a few years of contemplating it and a discussion here and there, but not only did she eventually accept it, she also ended up shucking her religious beliefs too. Hang in there and see where it goes

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
09-11-2016, 03:38 PM
I'd agree with TBD -- get to a therapist....

One that isn't going to take side on the religion front.....

Any "pastor" is going to be horribly biased against your side....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-11-2016, 03:50 PM
(09-11-2016 03:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is a good bet:
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com

It took my wife a few years of contemplating it and a discussion here and there, but not only did she eventually accept it, she also ended up shucking her religious beliefs too. Hang in there and see where it goes

Thanks for that!

I'm hoping for the best and I while I am honest that I am willing to change my beliefs if new evidence arises. Being on this path for almost two years now, I don't really see anything that could change my mind other than actual divine revelation. (and even then, I'd be skeptical)

I know it still fresh, it's only been a month, I guess I'm still settling into the new normal as well.
[+] 2 users Like herrozerro's post
09-11-2016, 03:52 PM
(09-11-2016 03:38 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd agree with TBD -- get to a therapist....

One that isn't going to take side on the religion front.....

Any "pastor" is going to be horribly biased against your side....

I agree, but so far they have been pretty accommodating. Very welcoming still to the church. But that might be more of a thing about not wanting me to take the whole family out of church. But the jokes on them I suppose. It's not like I could stop her anyways.
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Also may want to examine the therapists too. I know a lot who bring belief into the equation. However, Recovery from Religion has the Secular Therapist Project, which helps find therapists who won't.

https://www.seculartherapy.org/

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post