So, it's not Ramadan ... it's the religious zelots that make it suck.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 09:17 AM
So, it's not Ramadan ... it's the religious zelots that make it suck.
The same with all other holidays that have been essentially hijacked by every religious group vying for attention.

Of course, this poor schnook is just one of many who have had their everyday rights stripped away in the wake of the enforcement of mass delusion.

Imagine walking down the street having a smoke in AnyTown USA during "Lent". Now, what if someone decided that such activity shouldn't be going on during this time of "sacrifice" and demanded your arrest for violating public decency laws?

How much weight should religion have in laws that affect the public in the US or anywhere, for that matter?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 09:41 AM
RE: So, it's not Ramadan ... it's the religious zelots that make it suck.
Religion should have ZERO weight on laws (but you already knew that, didn't you, Kimmie ;-)). Actually, I was reading something about negative mass recently, so might have to revise the above statement, when I know more Dodgy

"Tunisia is reputed to be one of the most liberal Muslim states in the world, and is popular with European holidaymakers because of its beaches." - I guess even the "most" liberal Muslim societies ain't that liberal, after all Drinking Beverage

Much like in another holidaymakers' paradise, the Maldives, a girl was sentenced to public flogging for the vicious crime of...

having been raped.

There aren't numbers big enough to describe the amount of rage this fills me with.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
14-06-2017, 01:00 PM
(14-06-2017 09:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  Religion should have ZERO weight on laws (but you already knew that, didn't you, Kimmie ;-)). Actually, I was reading something about negative mass recently, so might have to revise the above statement, when I know more Dodgy

"Tunisia is reputed to be one of the most liberal Muslim states in the world, and is popular with European holidaymakers because of its beaches." - I guess even the "most" liberal Muslim societies ain't that liberal, after all Drinking Beverage

Much like in another holidaymakers' paradise, the Maldives, a girl was sentenced to public flogging for the vicious crime of...

having been raped.

There aren't numbers big enough to describe the amount of rage this fills me with.

I'd venture to say that our laws against prostitution, enforcement of which tends to focus on the sex worker rather than the John, are not too far from such laws as in the Maldives, philosophically.

It takes religion's idea of punishing sexuality--especially female sexuality--that deviates from the version which supports the ability of the religion to propagate itself generationally, by breeding and then indoctrinating children, in order to make such obvious ridiculousness into something acceptable enough to write in a book of law.

It's one of the many things which flashes through my mind when I'm asked by some annoyed theist "why are you atheists just so angry at religious people?"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Well, prostitution should definitely be legalised.

The saddest thing is, while I was still deconverting, I was teaching English and one of my students (a lady about the age of my mum) who was definitely *not* religious (maybe some Buddhist woo-y thing) was trying to tell me how prostitutes defile themselves or some such shit. And she didn't even have the excuse of being religious Facepalm

But yeah, one of *so* many reasons why I detest religion - the idea of it and each and every specific example of it - with every fibre of my sinful being.

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
14-06-2017, 10:42 PM
I'm just saying, that any religion that involves 'voluntary' starvation is a pretty shit holiday...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-06-2017, 11:03 PM
(14-06-2017 10:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm just saying, that any religion that involves 'voluntary' starvation is a pretty shit holiday...

The statistics of gestation during the month of Ramadan can be heartbreaking. Children have been found to have severe learning disabilities as a result of the mother being malnourished during critical brain development. As well, the instance of miscarriage & stillborn babies tripples in the months after this wonderful month-long religious ritual.

Evidently, Allah just really likes children with underdeveloped brains.

Allah knows best. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
14-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Never thought of that, Kimmie. This is sickening!

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
14-06-2017, 11:12 PM
(14-06-2017 11:03 PM)kim Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 10:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm just saying, that any religion that involves 'voluntary' starvation is a pretty shit holiday...

The statistics of gestation during the month of Ramadan can be heartbreaking. Children have been found to have severe learning disabilities as a result of the mother being malnourished during critical brain development. As well, the instance of miscarriage & stillborn babies tripples in the months after this wonderful month-long religious ritual.

Evidently, Allah just really likes children with underdeveloped brains.

Allah knows best. Shy

Holy shit, I never before thought about the potential effects of Ramadan on fetal developments. I feel like an idiot... Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 01:26 AM
(14-06-2017 09:17 AM)kim Wrote:  The same with all other holidays that have been essentially hijacked by every religious group vying for attention.

Of course, this poor schnook is just one of many who have had their everyday rights stripped away in the wake of the enforcement of mass delusion.

Imagine walking down the street having a smoke in AnyTown USA during "Lent". Now, what if someone decided that such activity shouldn't be going on during this time of "sacrifice" and demanded your arrest for violating public decency laws?

How much weight should religion have in laws that affect the public in the US or anywhere, for that matter?

None. What some people think their invisible friend want matters not when it came to law. They are free to starve themselves (but not their kids) if they think that will please space wizard they believe in but they have no right to demand observance of their rites from others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
15-06-2017, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2017 08:17 AM by kim.)
(14-06-2017 11:12 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Holy shit, I never before thought about the potential effects of Ramadan on fetal developments. I feel like an idiot... Undecided

Negative neonatal issues depends on the location. Some cultures take the fasting very seriously, while education has had positive effects in other places such as Pakistan and Iran.

Using Census data in Uganda we also find that Muslim adults who were born nine months after Ramadan are 22 percent more likely to be disabled. Effects are found for vision, hearing, and mental disabilities and may reflect neurological impairments from disruptions to early fetal development.

Since the resurgence of strict Islamic fundamentalism of the mid 70s, statistics have been a rollercoaster. In the 80s, stories became so drastic that pregnant women in some communities were excluded from fasting altogether. Still, statistics are only statistics and can be misleading.

After decades of education, people have become more sensible about it. In general, daytime fasting with hydration before and after considerable resting periods, can have little effect on an already healthy gestation. Generally, many pregnant women try to sleep most of the day and do their work at night when they are able to hydrate and eat.

There is still no definite evidence that accelerated starvation due to
Ramadan fasting during an uncomplicated pregnancy can adversely affect maternal health.

I personally don't give a shit what people do to themselves. However, forcing people to be unhealthy makes zero sense and I have to consider it to be irrational.

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post