So many educated are believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 01:09 PM
So many educated are believers
This amazes me when I think about the educated smart people out there who talk and pray god....

A very dear friend many years ago and he was from Italy and his parents a long time before him put an extra O in the word and called it GOOD...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: So many educated are believers
(10-09-2014 01:09 PM)jamin Wrote:  This amazes me when I think about the educated smart people out there who talk and pray god....

Me too... early indoctrination can be difficult to overcome and people have an amazing ability to compartmentalize beliefs. If they can manage to evaluate the actual evidence objectively they'll be freed from the dogma.

Quote:A very dear friend many years ago and he was from Italy and his parents a long time before him put an extra O in the word and called it GOOD...

If he'd thought to use an L he could have had gold. If he just looked at it backwards he could call it a dog. You don't seriously mean to imply that because god and good are similar in spelling that god exists and is good do you?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-09-2014, 01:39 PM
(10-09-2014 01:09 PM)jamin Wrote:  This amazes me when I think about the educated smart people out there who talk and pray god....

A very dear friend many years ago and he was from Italy and his parents a long time before him put an extra O in the word and called it GOOD...

It does boggle the mind doesn't it? There is a direct correlation usually between education/intelligence and religious belief. Normally the higher the one, the lower the other. Education tends to create some serious obstacles to continued faith. Those that do, is because of a tenacious level of faith, or refusal to admit to themselves what is obviously a fabrication, so they waffle in the middle with apologetics, acceptance of science, and a liberal view of the bible, generally positing OT is a parable, and it is the message of the NT that is important, not the forensic dismantlement of it.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-09-2014, 02:24 PM
(10-09-2014 01:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Me too... early indoctrination can be difficult to overcome and people have an amazing ability to compartmentalize beliefs. If they can manage to evaluate the actual evidence objectively they'll be freed from the dogma.

Quote:A very dear friend many years ago and he was from Italy and his parents a long time before him put an extra O in the word and called it GOOD...

If he'd thought to use an L he could have had gold. If he just looked at it backwards he could call it a dog. You don't seriously mean to imply that because god and good are similar in spelling that god exists and is good do you?

I think nothing of the sort, why do you think I'm here....
10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
(10-09-2014 02:24 PM)jamin Wrote:  I think nothing of the sort, why do you think I'm here....

Sorry, your initial post sounded to me like a believer trying to convince us poor atheists that we should believe too. If that's not the case then, as they say, my bad.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Rationalization and compartmentalization. Quite easy to do. I speak from experience.
11-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Education sometimes is just not enough to beat early indoctrination.