So many ideas running through my mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Question So many ideas running through my mind
This is my first time posting here. I read Seth's book, and really enjoyed it, and it gave me quite a bit of insight into my situation. I have been battling with religion for quite a while trying to find a comfortable spot where I can worship a god and be in a vibrant community. But, I'm very skeptical about God now. Reason tells me that there is no god, and I've tried to accept that. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and OCD, and have been in intensive therapy. When i said that I believe that the possibility of a god existing is zilch to nothing, they told me that spirituality play a huge role in my life and that I shouldn't just give up on it. They said that there is a lot of grey area in the subject. So, I've tried to give God a chance again, but I really have a hard time trying to believe in God reasonably. I see so many religions out there, so much suffering, and God seems to be nowhere! Reason tells me there is no God, and I'm leaning towards that way. I spoke with my therapist again about my spiritual quest and how I'm moving from one religion to the next and going back and forth trying to figure everything out, and he said that I was being OCD. REALLY? He's told me before that he sees the pain in my journey, and sees it as sincere, but decided to say that I was being OCD (I'm having a hard time with the psychiatric community right now.). Anyway, just typing this is helping me realize that in reality, the likelihood of God existing is extremely low. As much as I want a god to exist, he doesn't. I mean, there are many stories out there that we would want to be reality, but it's just not. I worry, though. I worry about jumping back into this spiritual quest and fighting myself again. I don't want to go back into it. I don't know why I'm writing this. I guess to get all this off my chest. I guess in the end, there is no god. If only I could get my emotional mind to realize this. Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tonystreet's post
30-03-2015, 11:29 PM
RE: So many ideas running through my mind
Many of us have been where you are, with and without mental issues.

Welcome!

Mod note: I moved your thread to personal issues and support.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Welcome Tony.

I've just finished Seth's book, too. Pretty good stuff.

Welcome to the forum. Let your rational mind roam free.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Tony. It seems that you are going through the tough part of the struggle in which your mind and reason tell you one thing, but your heart and emotions tell you something else. We are all human after all, and have both the capacity for reason and emotions. How is your family situation? Oftentimes, the biggest emotional weight for people going through deconversion is fear of alienation from religious family and community.
31-03-2015, 09:37 AM
welcome Tony!

I agree with Moms. many people here have wrestled with the same issues.

Reading thru the stories that others have posted here I have found the following things common in posts
- atheists come from all walks of life, from countries all around the globe
- some have medical problems, some have mental issues, some don't
- many have jumped from one religion to another to another trying to find the 'right' one, the one that feels right.
- many only find temporary happiness, it seems the more they learn about their new religion, the more they think about it and then they start coming up with questions that don't have answers that match.
- eventually the questions lead them out, and they end up here, some sad that all they have known and been taught was a lie, and now feel lost. Some relieved to finally have it figured out and feel at peace because the questions and answers are logical and can be reasoned and evidence provides the sure footing they need.

just know that you arent alone in your search for theological answers, and many here also have mental health issues here and understand.

Hug and welcome to TTA.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
31-03-2015, 11:21 AM
(31-03-2015 09:34 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Welcome to the forum Tony. It seems that you are going through the tough part of the struggle in which your mind and reason tell you one thing, but your heart and emotions tell you something else. We are all human after all, and have both the capacity for reason and emotions. How is your family situation? Oftentimes, the biggest emotional weight for people going through deconversion is fear of alienation from religious family and community.

Most of my family is pretty open minded. In fact, my mother struggles with the idea of God. She also wants to believe there is a god, but part of here questions that. When I tell her things that I have learned that pretty much prove God doesn't exists, she says that I'm really intelligent, and make a lot of sense, but I don't see her giving up on God. But, my family is pretty much supportive. I'm not afraid of that experience at all. I'm just in a constant flux when it comes to God. But, writing down the struggle was very cathartic for me. It helped me see that, in the end, most likely, a god doesn't exists.
31-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the support, guys!
01-04-2015, 09:42 PM
(30-03-2015 11:21 PM)tonystreet Wrote:  When i said that I believe that the possibility of a god existing is zilch to nothing, they told me that spirituality play a huge role in my life and that I shouldn't just give up on it. They said that there is a lot of grey area in the subject.

Who is the "they" you are referring to? Family? Friends? Therapist?

Edit spelling error.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac