So much for secular public universities.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 03:26 PM
So much for secular public universities.
This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.

I think she missed the point of what I was saying...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
25-09-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: So much for secular public universities.
Sadly, merely being a professor is not a guarantee that one is going to be good at one's job.

Or at keeping one's unwanted opinion to themselves.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
25-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Well, it wasn't appropriate for the professor to do that, but I understand why they did (and I'm sure you do too). But, I mean, even in a reasonably secular state like Washington, I wouldn't include my lack of religion as a subject of a school assignment (unless the course was a religion course). IMO, it's just asking for feedback, and I personally wouldn't want that in school. If I did choose to do that, it would be fully expecting some sort of feedback and I'd have to choose to either let it be or make a point to fight for equal treatment.

In short, the professor was definitely wrong, but it's not unexpected.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Completely inappropriate of your professor. The prof's job is to evaluate and improve the writing, not try to convert the student.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
25-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Ignore it. So long as they don't penalize your grade just ignore it.

You could raise a stink about it. You could tell her that the sentiment is not wanted. But honestly this is fairly mild.

I attend a public university in Oklahoma. The SSA is tolerated here. But I as an atheist am not always treated the same by the university. But while the things irk me it's not worth raising a stink about it
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
26-09-2015, 11:09 AM
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.

I think she missed the point of what I was saying...

Ironically, my daughter is going to a private Christian college, for computer science, and her two Christian roommates are the ones complaining about how much Christianity is being pushed in the classroom. My daughter is not a Christian and she just lets it pass on by. How funny is that.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-09-2015, 02:51 PM
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.
Hey, take the 100% mark that will stay on your record and throw away the god remark, that's not going on your record. All is good in this godless world Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Well she definitely missed the point. Welcome to America.
edit: actually i don't know if you're in America but I can't imagine this happening anywhere else...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
14-10-2015, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015 04:19 PM by natachan.)
Wondering if this is a church/state violation.

The head clerk person in the civil engineering office has a bible verse in all her official emails as her signature. She's a nice enough person and I don't want to make a big thing of it, but it's just kinda off putting.

This is a public university.

Edit: was looking at the email again, since I use my school email for personal uses. Maybe it's just a default, that she does the same and everyone she emails gets this.

Nope.

Name
Student Records Coordinator
Phone
School of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Civil engineering office
University Name
John 11:25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life.* Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.
14-10-2015, 04:36 PM
(14-10-2015 04:12 PM)natachan Wrote:  Wondering if this is a church/state violation.

The head clerk person in the civil engineering office has a bible verse in all her official emails as her signature. She's a nice enough person and I don't want to make a big thing of it, but it's just kinda off putting.

This is a public university.

I'm not sure I understand your edit but this is an interesting question. I work for the DOD and we are allowed public displays of faith (one dude got a Bible on his desk, another one has the Quran on his desk, and I keep a copy of Buddy Christ's "An Atheist's Critique of the Bible" on my desk just to piss both of them off), but we are not permitted to proselytize. We have a Chaplain's Corner in our weekly newsletter. The first few issues a Southern Baptist Army Captain Chaplain always quoted Bible verses. Someone must have complained because after 2-3 newsletters the Chaplain's Corner was taken over by an Army Colonel Chaplain with no obvious religious affiliation (other than the fact we know he was not an atheist or secular humanist because Congress will not allow military chaplains to be either of those. Note to self: I need to check whether they allow pagans or Satanists to be chaplains) whose motivational quotes are always secular. I'm not sure whether a Bible quote in my email siggie would be ruled as an acceptable public display of faith or proselytizing. My guess is the latter.

#sigh