So much for secular public universities.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: So much for secular public universities.
It's her sig. It was to show how she is phrasing the bible quote.

I don't have an issue with public religious displays of her faith. She has religious iconography on her desk and wears a cross. I'm cool with that. The thing is that this is an email signature that she uses as an agent of the university. Does this cross a line? Should her official signature as an agent of the university have a bible verse?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2015, 04:51 PM
(14-10-2015 04:46 PM)natachan Wrote:  It's her sig. It was to show how she is phrasing the bible quote.

I don't have an issue with public religious displays of her faith. She has religious iconography on her desk and wears a cross. I'm cool with that. The thing is that this is an email signature that she uses as an agent of the university. Does this cross a line? Should her official signature as an agent of the university have a bible verse?

I am not sure when it comes to State Law but I'm pretty sure the CFR prohibits me from doing that.

#sigh
14-10-2015, 06:27 PM
(14-10-2015 04:12 PM)natachan Wrote:  Wondering if this is a church/state violation.

The head clerk person in the civil engineering office has a bible verse in all her official emails as her signature. She's a nice enough person and I don't want to make a big thing of it, but it's just kinda off putting.

This is a public university.

Edit: was looking at the email again, since I use my school email for personal uses. Maybe it's just a default, that she does the same and everyone she emails gets this.

Nope.

Name
Student Records Coordinator
Phone
School of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Civil engineering office
University Name
John 11:25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life.* Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

I suppose it could be complained about and asked to be removed by HR/Public relations but it's not really a direct violation of anything.

An individual employee's comments don't really represent the school or violate anything because they demonstrate their religion in that manner.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-10-2015, 04:53 PM
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.

I think she missed the point of what I was saying...

My 'secular' public college plays Christian "music" (it sucks) every friday ("turn WORRY into WORSHIP. uuh no thank you). I think my college should play Bad Religion nonstop on Mondays for equal representation. Also bc they're an awesome band Smile
19-10-2015, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2015 06:34 AM by DLJ.)
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  ...
I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

I'm the same with the stuff I write here. And I cry whenever HoC or Girly rip it to shreds.

Tell you what ... why not write a poem about how your prof's comment made you feel ... belittled your opinion ... undermined your faith in her impartiality ... undermined the US constitution?

It'll be a cathartic exercise, right?

Consider

And send it to her boss.

Idea

And the ACLU.

Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-10-2015, 06:02 AM
(19-10-2015 11:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  ...

I'm the same with the stuff I write here. And I cry whenever HoC or Girly rip it to shreds.

Tell you what ... why not write a poem about how your prof's comment made you feel ... belittled your opinion ... undermined your faith in her impartiality ... undermined the US constitution?

It'll be a cathartic exercise, right?

Consider

And send it to her boss.

Idea

And the [/b]UCLA.

Evil_monster

Why would the University of California, Los Angeles be interested????

Yer lysdexia kicking in ???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-10-2015, 06:33 AM
(20-10-2015 06:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Why would the University of California, Los Angeles be interested????

Yer lysdexia kicking in ???

Thanks. I didn't spot that. I'll fix it.

Cheers

20-10-2015, 06:39 AM
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

Take the extra grade and be grateful for morons. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-10-2015, 06:45 AM
I don't think it's a violation of any particular kind; it's just a personal note from a believer, attempting to express some sympathy. Keep in mind that, from her point of view, she was doing you a kindness, after reading of your heartache. She definitely missed the point, but I wouldn't say what she wrote was inappropriate, especially given that she gave you a 100% grade. It's mildly annoying that her "lens" warped her understanding of what you were trying to say, though.

Keep her response in mind, next time you hear one of the Christian wackadoodles talking about our "atheist professors" as the reason people are turning away from Jayzus. I went to college in the deep south, and as far as I know, I never had an atheist professor (I did have one I knew was Jewish), but I had several whom I knew were Christians, including my favorite professor, who taught Physics.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Don't let anyone convince you that university is about learning to open your mind. It's about getting the piece of paper at the end, and sometimes that is as much political as academic. Knowing what to say in order to achieve the desired objective, whether it's true or not.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post