So much for secular public universities.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 07:22 AM
RE: So much for secular public universities.
(20-10-2015 07:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Don't let anyone convince you that university is about learning to open your mind. It's about getting the piece of paper at the end, and sometimes that is as much political as academic. Knowing what to say in order to achieve the desired objective, whether it's true or not.

About that for who? Is that the system structured "goal?" sure that's what it is. One can make anything with value one wants to, the value of things is up to any mind to create. Though of course it will be influenced by so many others.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2015, 10:49 AM
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.

I think she missed the point of what I was saying...

I don't think she missed the point. God loves you no matter what you do, say or believe.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
24-10-2015, 09:39 PM
(24-10-2015 10:49 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 03:26 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  This isn't so much a debate, but I think this is the best place and I really want to tell you all about it.

I had an assignment where I had to write a long poem about my identity. I went into my ethnicity and religion, my realization of my own disbelief, my sadness about losing part of what I feel made up a considerable part of my experience of my own ethnicity, and finally rationalizing my own lack of belief while still mourning what I felt before.

I put so much of my heart into this assignment. I even cried a bit while writing it.

My professor gave me 100%, but marked it up telling me how much god loves me.

I think she missed the point of what I was saying...

I don't think she missed the point. God loves you no matter what you do, say or believe.

It's really inappropriate for a professor to share their unsolicited, personal religious beliefs with a student at a public university. I'm sure her intentions were sweet, but intentions are useless and her actions were offensive. If it were me, I'd write her a strongly worded email. -Polite and respectful, but still strongly worded. Depending on how offended I was, I might even write her boss an email.

Alla, imagine that your professor wrote on your paper that you're going to hell, or that Satan loves you and believes that you're worthy of eternal damnation no matter what. You might brush it off as nothing, but you might also think that his or her words are inappropriate -and they would be.

Students are dependent on their professors to guide them and teach them. There is an emotional dynamic of trust and confidence that this professor is abusing. This really should be addressed.
25-10-2015, 12:51 PM
(14-10-2015 04:46 PM)natachan Wrote:  It's her sig. It was to show how she is phrasing the bible quote.

I don't have an issue with public religious displays of her faith. She has religious iconography on her desk and wears a cross. I'm cool with that. The thing is that this is an email signature that she uses as an agent of the university. Does this cross a line? Should her official signature as an agent of the university have a bible verse?

What verse is it though?

Is it a proselytize verse, or a fairly neutral one, but just from the bible?

Like my secular, public university that I attended had a classroom, with an inscription from Psalms engraved on the wall: "How Good it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!". I don't think anyone ever thought to take an issue with it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-10-2015, 03:59 PM
John 11:25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life.* Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

This woman is causing me a shitton of problems. I ranted about it, but the gist is that she lied to me about meeting an advisor, when I went to the professor directly and scheduled an appointment (in her hearing) she booked another student in the same slot, and then when the professor was called away to a meeting she told the OTHER student that she could get her an appointment with someone else. When I finally did see my advisor and the two of us gave her my advisor consent form for next semester she didn't clear my advising hold.

I now have to go see her again on Monday and if she doesn't clear it I'm taking her to the dean. I'm so fucking pissed off with her right now.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post