So my Mum had an Op today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 03:47 PM
So my Mum had an Op today.
I don't usually make posts about the things going on in my life unless its a rant. And who doesn't like a good rant Big Grin. But thought I'd share something for a change.

My mum had an operation earlier today to remove her right eye. It was a bit of a shock going into the ward to see her with her eye covered as I thought the operation was tomorrow.

About 7 years ago she was seeing small flashes of light so went and got it checked and it turned out that it was a melanoma in the back of her eye. So she was treated with a radioactive patch sown to the eye. Which had some affect on it although her vision in that eye never fully returned to normal.

About a month ago, after having the eye checked annually for the last 7 years she was told that they have to remove the eye. They had been Comparing the images taken of the eye over the years and seen that the lump hadn't changed the way it should. and by leaving it. even if it was benign there was the risk some of it could get into her bloodstream leading to more problems.

Shes ok but was still a bit out of it when I went to the hospital, they have her on morphine as its a painful operation and recovery.

Fuck cancer!

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: So my Mum had an Op today.
The first sight of a family member, post op. (we are taught), is often very shocking. You saw them before they went in, pink and talking, and moving around... the same. When they are out, they are pale and sleepy, and look so different than that last time you saw them, it's a HUGE jolt. But it's also the worst of it. Next time, she'll be up, and eating, and talking. But likely, you will never forget the jolt. Great they caught anything bad tho. She can have a prosthesis, (synthetic eye), and look just the same.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah they attached the coral part to the muscles in the eye socket during the operation. Before the op photos were taken of her good eye which is being used to make the eye looking part, which gets put in at a later point.

It's not the first time i've seen family members in hospital. Wasn't the first time i've seen my mum in hospital either. the first time she was in was for gall stones (I think) I was too young to understand it. But being older and understanding the scale of what it could mean makes it worse.

30-08-2012, 04:35 PM
"Raioactive patch"? Wow! Not heard of that. "Sown to the eye"? Chuff'n 'eck!

Was this NHS?

My mum is still in recovery. She had faith in the docs and praised the NHS most highly after the op.

Great to know your mum is getting such good treatment. Expect her to be a bit wimpery for a while.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Fuck cancer is right! Angry

Oh man, it's too bad she had to lose the eye, but if she'd already lost vision, maybe this preventative measure will lessen further mental stress that it would spread. Morphine - that's some heavy duty stuff - yea, that's gonna take care of the pain for her.

It must be difficult for you both, but keeping positive, relaxed, and well rested will help speed her recovery. I can imagine her disorientation so it's good you've been able to be there; family around really does help to reassure that things will be back to normal soon.

Bucky is right - even though she's not out of the woods yet, the worst part is over.
And hey - rant away... cancer is a rant all it's own. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah it was the NHS. They offered to do the operation the week after they told her, but she asked for a later date because she had a holiday booked.
(30-08-2012 04:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  "Raioactive patch"? Wow! Not heard of that. "Sown to the eye"? Chuff'n 'eck!

Was this NHS?

My mum is still in recovery. She had faith in the docs and praised the NHS most highly after the op.

Great to know your mum is getting such good treatment. Expect her to be a bit wimpery for a while.
Yeah it was the NHS. People badmouth it but its a brilliant organisation. They offered to do the operation the week after they told her, but she asked for a later date because she had a holiday booked. I know they use radiation therapy to treat some cancers, I reckon it was a form of that. Hows your mum doing?

(30-08-2012 04:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Fuck cancer is right! Angry

Oh man, it's too bad she had to lose the eye, but if she'd already lost vision, maybe this preventative measure will lessen further mental stress that it would spread. Morphine - that's some heavy duty stuff - yea, that's gonna take care of the pain for her.

It must be difficult for you both, but keeping positive, relaxed, and well rested will help speed her recovery. I can imagine her disorientation so it's good you've been able to be there; family around really does help to reassure that things will be back to normal soon.

Bucky is right - even though she's not out of the woods yet, the worst part is over.
And hey - rant away... cancer is a rant all it's own. Undecided

She still had vision in it but it was blurry, The eye wasn't draining fluid correctly I think that's what caused the poor vision.

It'll take a bit of getting used to, But apparently you can still drive with only one eye, so it shouldn't interfere with her life to much. It's the pain to get past first that should be the worst part now that the op is done.

[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
30-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh, mine is ok, thanks for asking.
Normally tough as old boots but going through a pain-induced whimpering-phase which is driving my siblings crazy. She'll bounce back.

Let us know how your mum progresses.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-08-2012, 07:35 PM
The big C sucks! Censored
I've lost so many members of my family to it but if you catch it early enough you can beat the shit out of it Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
30-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Fuck Cancer is right...I hope that she recovers well and survives this...I am coming up on three years since my diagnosis and surgery.

I will look forward to hearing she is on her way to recovery and good health!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I HATE cancer with a passion. Sorry your mom and family have to go through this. I also look forward to hearing about the good health ahead, and pain free for sure!

Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you all Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post