So my Mum had an Op today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: So my Mum had an Op today.
(15-09-2012 12:30 PM)kim Wrote:  It sounds as if she's adjusting well. She must be anxious to get life back to a more normal state - probably tired of people fucking with her. Very understandable.

Those artificial eyes... if they are like a contact lens, they must do them differently these days - more high tech, I suppose. They used to be made of glass and to me, they were always very precise and quite beautiful - like jewels.

The eyes are a very psychologically sensitive and vulnerable area of the body. Your Mom is so brave to make such difficult decisions regarding her health. It's good that she's getting comparable healthcare that respects her strength. Thumbsup

The actual ball part is made from coral, i've been reading up on it and it has no risk of rejection, because its similar to human bone, and can be attached to the muscles so she could have good movement with it. From reading about it seems to be a really clever thing to make a false body part from. Low risk of rejection, allows for blood vessel growth due to being porous.
The contact lens type part is temporary, so i don't know if the final part she gets will be attached, or removable like the temporary part.

I think that because shes had 7 years, since she first found out about the melanoma in her eye, shes had a long time to think over the possibility that she could loose an eye, so when the Doctors told her that they need to remove the eye, the news was unexpected but at the same time she was already used to the idea. She took the whole eye loss thing far better than I'd have thought.

(15-09-2012 02:01 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I wonder if they can test the removed eye to determine if the cancer is benign or not?

I think they are doing that, and she will get the results in 8 weeks when her appointment is. The eye had to come out anyway so even if it turns out to be benign it would have ended the same way unfortunately.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
15-09-2012, 06:08 PM
When I heard about that recent organization or movement called, "Stand Up To Cancer" I was displeased. I don't like it for many reasons, the main reason is how it sounds like cancer is sentient.

I like this approach though; rename it to, Fuck cancer!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I wish the best for your mom and you!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Fuck the cancer!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-10-2012, 05:09 PM
My mum got the biopsy results back today. The melanoma was malignant and had spread, but never left the eye. So we got lucky. Still has some more tests to get including a ct scan.

18-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the update! Glad it did not spread further. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
12-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I've not updated this for a long time. I was was given bad news earlier today, she has been getting tests and scans done every few months since her op. yesterday she got the results. The melanoma had spread to her liver and possibly her thyroid. more tests needs to be carried out for the thyroid as it didnt show up in previous scans.

There is no cure for this type of cancer, but they will be giving her treatments first radiotherapy, then chemo if that doesn't work there's another treatment that I don't know the name of they can try. But this is treatment that will be ongoing most likely for the rest of her life.

12-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I hate to hear this...but still wish your mom the best.

Fucking cancer...

I'll add you mom to my list when I walk in the Relay for Life next month!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks Anj i appreciate it Smile

12-04-2013, 02:23 PM