So some theists just dropped by

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 09:45 AM
So some theists just dropped by
I answered the door and there's an older lady (70-ish?) in a red dress, and a younger man (late teens, early 20s?) in a very nice suit.

Contrast with me, wearing a T-shirt for the second day in a row, the jeans I wore cutting the grass yesterday, and I think I forgot to brush my hair this morning. (Ah, the life of a bachelor.) I say hello and let them start.

The young man says he'd like to deliver a good message based on the bible (oh boy) and he'd like to ask me a few questions, then immediately launched his first one, "Do you think it is possible to attain an understanding and a meaningful life?"

I said, "From the bible? No."

The look on the lady's face was priceless. Imagine you had invited someone over to dinner, and they arrived wearing a suit made of dead cockroaches. The look of horror and disgust, combined with her valiant attempt to stay polite, was hilarious. The young man looked taken aback like I'd just farted while insulting his mother.

He stammered out, "Uh, well, uh, thank you, I respect your opinion."

I said, "Thanks, have a good one," and closed the door as they backed away.

Religious people are funny.

Anyway, anyone have an idea what sect these two might have been? Witnesses? Adventists? Mormons? Not much there to go on, I know, but they got out of there so fast after I spoke (less than ten words!) that I didn't really get a taste of their theology at all.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Phaedrus's post
22-04-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: So some theists just dropped by
Phaedrus,
JWs and Mormons are usually more aggressive than that and aren't put off by a few words. Unless you live in the Midwest and they were Minnesota nice?

Doc
22-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Most likely not Mormons if they didn't have nametags. No idea for Adventists. What did they have in their hands? At their sides? Was the kid neatly shaved? Cheap suit? Big briefcase? Big purse?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-04-2013, 09:57 AM
(22-04-2013 09:53 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Most likely not Mormons if they didn't have nametags. No idea for Adventists. What did they have in their hands? At their sides? Was the kid neatly shaved? Cheap suit? Big briefcase? Big purse?

The kid was shaved, he was carrying a thick bible and a stack of what looked like pamphlets. The suit looked decent, but not expertly tailored or anything; upper-mid-range from a department store, I'd say. I didn't notice a briefcase. The woman had a purse, but it looked normal size for a practical purse.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
22-04-2013, 09:57 AM
(22-04-2013 09:52 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Phaedrus,
JWs and Mormons are usually more aggressive than that and aren't put off by a few words. Unless you live in the Midwest and they were Minnesota nice?

Doc

Western Maryland

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
22-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Wish I could have been there Phaedrus, this has made me all warm and tingly. Thumbsup

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-04-2013, 10:18 AM
If it's a stack, no. At least when I was young the pamphlets where not in a stack but usually two mags inside the bible with first chit chat about the weather then a segue into dark talk to then show the 'answers' within the pamphlet and bible.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
22-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow, no fight in the little bastard?
What kind of theist is he?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
22-04-2013, 10:44 AM
(22-04-2013 10:41 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wow, no fight in the little bastard?
What kind of theist is he?

It's the area. The Theists tend to flock together since so many people around here are at best annoyed by them.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-04-2013, 10:46 AM
They might not have been proselytizing. My best guess now is that it was a survey; and no atheist viewpoints welcome.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.